Any idea what these glass bowls are called?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Back in the 1960's and 1970's my Mom had several blown glass dishes.  She used them as candy dishes, I don't know what they were really designed for.  They were art deco and had tapered pieces extending from the dish itself, like arms.   I saw some on a TV movie and would love to pick up a couple, but I don't know what they are called, or what to look for.

Here are some pictures.  There are other designs too, longer ones that are more boat shaped. Some where the extending tapered arms curve around etc. 

What would I search for on Craig's List, Kijiji or eBay?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do a search for Murano glass. 

The shape is very common to many glass makers - but Murano is a widely well know manufacturer, from Italy.  Many pieces are quite affordable and you can easily find them in second hand stores, EBay, etc.  I'd call it a winged bowl (or vase) to help with the search.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Do a search for Murano glass. 

The shape is very common to many glass makers - but Murano is a widely well know manufacturer, from Italy.  Many pieces are quite affordable and you can easily find them in second hand stores, EBay, etc.  I'd call it a winged bowl (or vase) to help with the search.
Thank you.  I did a Google image search for "Murano glass" and found some that are similar to what I posted.  So that is a good start.  Plus I didn't think to use "winged" in the description; to me they were arms. lol

Hopefully I can find one or 2 that is a good price and goes with my decor.   I remember my Mom had large boat shaped bowls, and swans.  My favourite was a deep royal blue one.  It was so beautiful.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've had a store for years with beautiful antique furniture and collectables, art glass, jewelry.

I've had many of these pieces.

They are on ebay, under art glass, also under vintage art glass, lots to scroll through, there are tons of art and blown glass pieces, have fun!

Murano has made these type now and then, all Murano has the gold sparkles inside of their art glass. It's kind of their signature and makes it easy to spot :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I've had a store for years with beautiful antique furniture and collectables, art glass, jewelry.

I've had many of these pieces.

They are on ebay, under art glass, also under vintage art glass, lots to scroll through, there are tons of art and blown glass pieces, have fun!

Murano has made these type now and then, all Murano has the gold sparkles inside of their art glass. It's kind of their signature and makes it easy to spot :)
Thank you so much. I found lots on eBay!  Shipping is expensive though.  I'll try looking around at some second hand stores and local ads to see if I can find any local.  But I definitely want to get a couple. Hopefully in a dark blue and orange. The amber is pretty too.  But I don't want to just get any one, I want a couple that knock me over,  LOL

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Murano glass is really beautiful.  I actually went on a tour of their facility when I was on a family trip to Italy in 1997.  My parent's bought me a glass cat and I still have it today.  They do package their items really well as my glass cat was in our luggage for the flight home.  It made it back home completely intact.  Yes they do charge a lot for shipping and that is why mine traveled home in our luggage.  My dad was going to have it shipped to a friend who was back home near us in the states until he heard the shipping prices.  He asked them to package it securely enough to make it home in our luggage.  I was really happy it survived the flight back home completely intact.