Any idea on Missy's breed?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree, she is a beauty, probably one of my top 3 faves, long haired all black female :)

I am not sure on the breed either, it may be simply a long haired domestic, but may not.

@StefanZ   or @Ondine  would you happen to know?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She reminds me of German Longhair cat.   But how common they are outside Germany and countries around, I dont know.

Otherwise, I think you will seek her ancestry in the persian family, old type persian, or doll face persian.  That like.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Almost certainly she is of no particular breed, but like 99% of pet cats, is what we call Domestic Longhair. In the far distant past, thousands of years ago, as cats spread out from Africa where the original African Wildcat was the common ancestor of all domestic cats, they gradually evolved naturally to suit the environment. So desert cats became long and thin in shape and developed the 'pointed' colour traits that helped them survive the heat, Northern cats became larger and much hairier so they could live in cold climates, and isolated groups that inbred showed mutations that later were used by breeders to select characteristics like eye colour, coat colours and shapes that became our breeds as we know them today. This was quite recent, only about 200 years ago, unlike dogs who have been bred for special purposes for thousands of years. So it is still possible to find cats in the general population that show some of the 'breed' characteristics of Siamese, Persians, Russian Blues, Maine Coons etc.

Missy is a gorgeous cat, quite unusual in her shape and fur. He eyes are also quite wide apart. There is always a remote possibility that she might have a Persian great-great grandmother or similar, but without knowing her history it is impossible to say. And it is more likely that her looks are simply due to the genes that she has luckily inherited from some long ago ancestor that happened to look a bit Persian.

tomozuul

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Arizona Transplant from Bay Area, California