Any Idea How Close She Is To Giving Birth?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

heathensservant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And I made her a box cave on my desk and she took right to it. She's in there all the time now as long as I'm in the living room or kitchen where she can see me. When I go to the other end of the house she tagging right along behind me. lol She also has a tote in my room with some towels in it. She jumped right in when I first put it there and started kneading the towels, but hasn't been back in since. She'd rather sleep in bed with me it seems. lol
box cave.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She sounds so sweet!

Yes, give her as much food as she wants.

Sounds like yoy've got a friend for life! :)

heathensservant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hadn't planned on keeping her initially. Just until her babies were old enough to go to homes, then I'd try to find a home for her as well. But she's pretty much weaseled her way into my heart already. lol

heathensservant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The little girl seems to be doing ok. She's wandering around aimlessly, can't seem to get comfortable anywhere. She'll want me to hold her one minute then not even want me to touch her the next. Her belly is looking like it's not sticking out to the side as much as it was, so the kittens may be dropping?

I'm writing this because I've started having problems with my boy cat last night and today. He's become very protective of her. If she's sleeping in her box cave, he's either on the other side of the desk or laying right in front of it. When I go to check on her he jumps up to watch everything I'm doing. If she's eating or drinking, or using one of the litter boxes, he stands guard and won't let my old lady cat in the room. When the little one does her whimpers in her sleep, he comes running. It's like he's designated himself as her body guard. I'm keeping canned cat food on 3 plates in the kitchen all the time now, because if you give to one you have to give to the all or they pout. When I refill them of course they all come running and he won't eat until she's done and leaves the room.

I thought it was cute until earlier today. I was taking a nap and the little girl was napping against my stomach like she does. I felt him get up on the bed and press against my back. He'll usually sleep with his back pressed against me somewhere, nothing unusual with that.

However, I then felt my back getting warm. He was peeing on me!!! Absolutely drenched my back leaving a puddle on the sheet. He's never before done anything like that. Of course, I freaked out and jumped out of bed, and both cats went running. I may have invented a few new names for him all during my unplanned shower and bed stripping, washing, and scrubbing.

He made himself scarce for awhile, then was all cuddly, trying to apologize. And now he seems to be jealous of the little girl. If she's on my lap he's trying to climb on my chest, shoving his head in my hand so I'll pet him. I was playing with the little girl with one of those toys that has the long fuzzy hanging from a plastic stick. Just letting her play a little without being too active. He got in front of her and started playing with it. Now, he's refused to play with that thing with me for the past many years.

Any insight into this behavior would be greatly appreciated. I'm slightly concerned about how he'll react when the kittens come.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He's just jealous. It's normal. He knows something is up but can't possibly understand what. He's bonded to and protective of mama kitty.

It may even get worse for awhile when the kittens arrive.

Be patient, and make sure he gets his fair share of attention.

heathensservant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you.

I think our water broke. She started pacing around the house giving a very low growl. We get deer in our yard, so I thought she might be smelling them. I picked her up so she could look out of the window and her bottom was soaked. My wrist and hand were covered in a pinkish brownish liquid. She also had something stringy looking hanging out of her. Looking out of the windows seemed to calm her some and she laid in her box cave and cleaned herself. But then she kept coming over to where I was so I moved the box to the coffee table.

She stays in there for awhile, then prowls around the house, then lays in there, then my lap, then prowls, then sprawls on the coffee table. Poor thing can't get comfy.

heathensservant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Still nothing. poor little girl is miserable. She keeps going from spot to spot trying to get comfortable. And she's holding me hostage. lol Everywhere I go she's at my feet. I tried to wash dishes and she was sprawled on her side at my feet. Went to the bathroom and she followed then sprawled on her side on top of my feet. lol

She woke up a couple of times gagging like she was going to throw up, but nothing came up. Then tried to eat, but only took a couple of bites, then sniffed at a few of the bowls of water but didn't drink. So I gave her a new bowl. She sniffed at it but still didn't drink.

Now she's just laying here making little squeals.

atty squeals (2).jpg

heathensservant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It was around 5 or 6 last night when I noticed her bottom was all wet. And still nothing new. She's just uncomfortable and gives these tiny little squeals all the time. Is it normal to go this long after her water breaking?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, she's in labor. The squeals are from pain. Stage one can last 24 hours. She should have kittens sometime today or tonight.

Her big water bag broke. The kittens are still in their own sacs until delivery.

heathensservant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for responding!! Is there anything I can do to ease her pain?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sit with her and rub her back or tummy if she will let you. Offer reassuring words. She's just got to get through it. It's no fun. Poor gal.

heathensservant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Most of the time she seems to want me to pet her. But then randomly she'll growl at my hand, giving it the evil eye.

She's gone from eating a full can and half of what I give the other two each time I go to the kitchen to barely eating a third of a can. But keeps acting like she's starving when I put it down for her.

And she's not drinking. She sniffs at the water bowls, then doesn't drink out of it. So I wash and refilled them. Then gave her new ones. There are now 9 different water bowls, glass plastic and metal, scattered around the house. At first she'd take a couple of licks out of each new bowl, but now she isn't drinking at all. Is there something I can do to get her to drink more? Or is she getting enough from the canned food?

And thanks so much for replying. I feel like I'm floundering here and it helps a lot.

heathensservant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Doesn't want me touching her but doesn't want me NOT touching her either. So she'll push my hand away with her paw then leave her paw in my hand. If I take my hand away she grumbles and reaches for it. lol Oh, and I was writing and she wanted to play with my pen so I gave it to her, was playing with her with it for a little. Then she just laid on it. lol

Poor thing doesn't know what she wants.
holding hands.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Near-term cats usually slow down on eating most of the time, though some actually get up to eat between kitten deliveries - go figure! :)

Can you see contractions in her belly?

heathensservant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Little twitches throughout her belly. And I had what felt like a tiny paw push at my hand a few minutes ago. It felt like it was just above her hip area. But not what I would think would be full on contractions.

heathensservant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!! This is more stressful than I thought it would be. lol And now she's attacking and playing with the box flap. lol
playing box flap.jpg
yellow eyes.jpg
playing box flap.jpg
yellow eyes.jpg

heathensservant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know what I did to make them post twice. Sorry!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's okay! Maybe she was experiencing pre-labor, and real labor hasn't started yet.

heathensservant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I literally groaned out loud at that. I just may turn grey if this lasts much longer. lol