Any help would be greatly appreciated!

egrant23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I currently have a 8 month old cat named Kirby. I took Kirby in when my significant other repeatedly found him outside of her work each and every morning for weeks. She works out in the country where there no homes nearby. Being the cat lover she is, we took this gorgeous kitten in about 6 months ago and everything has been wonderful with him until recently. He has regular vet check ups, has no problem with his litter box and is shown great love and affection. He's had problems not letting us sleep in the past, etc but he's been much better with that and now let's us get our full nights sleep until he wakes us up in the morning when the sun comes through the windows. Lately, it's almost as he's been acting out and doing things in spite of us. Things like pawing things off shelves that he's never climbed on before, etc. He's started scratching at closed doors now, because he has access to the majority of the rooms in our house. We have let him out a few times with our golden retriever, as we stand out with him and watch him and his curiousity at work. Now, he stands by the outside doors, meowing and pawing at the glass to get outside. The last time we let him out, he sprinted around the house and under the big pine tree. We have no problem of him being a bit of an outside cat, but we're afraid he just might not come back as we live in the suburbs. Do these things have anything in common with each other!? Please help and give advice if you can for a first time cat owner.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His in teenage kitten mode. Some start earlier, but average time it seems to start up is right around 7 months old. All you can do is provide cat furniture for an appropriate climbing spot and play with him a bit more to tire him out.

Him wanting to go out is in part that drive to explore more, but it's also because you've confused him - which isn't his fault.
Make up your mind: will he be an inside only cat for his safety or do you want to let him out some. If the latter I strongly suggest you either cat proof the backyard fence, add an enclosure for him, or at the very least work on leash and harness training him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

egrant23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the prompt reply. I didn't realize that letting him out once or twice would lead to what it has with him wanting to go out all the time and trying to sneak out every time someone leaves the house, or we let our dog out. We do have a leash and harness, and that's how we originally introduced him to the outside. I guess what we want for him is to be an inside cat, and train him to know the only time he will be outside is when we take him out on his leash and harness for play time. Is there any recommendations/advice to follow with that?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The best advice is to only let him out with harness and leash, eventually, he'll learn that harness means outside.

I did not see you mention whether or not he is neutered.
If he is not neutered, getting him fixed will also help curb the pawing and door darting.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EGrant23

Yes, he is neutered.
That was going to be my first question and you've answered it
From what I've read you will be taking him outdoors. Another poster suggested using the harness when going outdoors. Don't let him out without it. He will eventually learn that the harness means "outside" and stop trying to get out all of the time.

As for the other behaviors - He's going through the terrible teens. He's going to be rowdy for a few more months but will most likely settle down. All 4 of my meezers eventually settled down into my routine.