Any Good Suggestion?

KittyKat184

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

Loki, my 1yr old kitty, is on 50/50 wet and frozen raw diet. To be more specific, he is eating Instinct Variety Chicken and Duck wet, and Primal frozen raw Pork and Turkey. I also give him Dr. Elsey Dry for snack and treat. I feed him half wet and half raw per meal and he had been loving it until 4 days ago. I think he is tired of his food which is understandable since I have been feeding him this mixture for almost 3 to 4 months... It's time to rotate his diet. Any suggestion for wet? Any wet food that is similar in ingredients and quality, or even better, compared with Instinct Variety. Thinking of keeping the Primal... But, I am open to other frozen raw brands that are in the same price range and quality tho

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there! Lots of cat owners will rotate food, for exactly that reason, to prevent kitties from getting bored with their food. In addition, rotating food can help ensure that kitties can get complete nutrition, if one food is slightly lacking in a vitamin or mineral, for example. The challenge with rotating cat food is what you have noticed already, that it can be difficult to find not just one, but several brands of quality food that your cat likes. This article gives some good suggestions: Top 5 Brands Of Wet Cat Food Our Members Love The Most

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some canned foods that seem really good to me are wellness core, weruva, tiki, merrick pates, ziwi peak, rawz, and red barn.
Have u tried the other flavors of canned natures variety?
As for Raw have you tried natures variety raw frozen foods? They’re pretty good. As are Stella and chewys raw cat foods.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyKat184

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
abyeb abyeb Thanks for the suggestion, I will look more into it!

cheesycats cheesycats I would like to try other flavors of canned Instinct Variety, thinking of beef, lamb and rabbit. However, the concern is that I don't know if Loki will get allergic to those. I have never tried any source of meat besides pork, chicken and turkey. What do you think the chance of him get allergy from above?

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed Olive a rotation of Rawz Beef (and I the future probably the chicken and turkey flavors), Life’s Abundance, Dave’s Shredded Chicken Dinner, Elsey’s Canned (I recently bought the variety pack but I’ll add in the Chicken and Turkey flavors). I also like to add in some Lotus Just Juicy Chicken Stew once in a while for variety.

That’s what has worked for Olive. Of our boys, Gohan is picky and any distractions turns him off wet food and Trin has become allergic to chicken (we think) and so we are transitioning to a rabbit kibble before doing anything crazy involving wet food. Cats. :dizzy:

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you keep a good rotation of different proteins going there’s very little chance your cat will develop an allergy. Truth be told it’s rare to develop an allergy even with cats who are on nothing but chicken their whole lives. It’s more likely to not happen then to happen. Chicken is the #1 protein allergen too. So I doubt your cat will become allergic to anything if you keep a rotation going.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are lots of suggestions here on canned foods so I won't add to those. I find that our cats want quite a rotation of few types of canned food, otherwise they get bored with their food.

On the raw food side, one option might be to try feeding Primal's freeze-dried versions of the pork and turkey foods. We used to feed our cats a combination of frozen and freeze-dried Primal but then our cats got tired of the frozen stuff and we switched to just freeze-dried, which they've been eating for the last several years. (Knock on wood, ha!) Another brand you might try is Northwest Naturals, which is also sold in freeze-dried and frozen versions. Pretty much any independent pet food store should be able to order it for you.

Good luck!