Any Good Canned Chicken Brands Not On Chewy?

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m looking for a good chicken canned food to add to my rotation for 2 of my kitties. They currently eat Dr. Elsey’s chicken but I’m looking for another to add. I looked through everything on chewy and didn’t see anything I liked. Okay I do like ziwipeak chicken but I just cannot bring myself to pay so much for just a canned food. Even my raw homemade 100% rabbit recipe doesn’t cost as much. They do eat raw for dinner. I feed them canned for breakfast.

My requirements:
- Single protein:Chicken (open to quail and pheasant)
- Pate style
- High calorie: 190+ calories for a 5.5 oz can
- Menadione and carrageenan free
- Less than 1.5% phosphorus on a DMB

Does anyone know of any brands I should look into that aren’t sold on chewy that might meet my requirements ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe Rawz. It is pricey though, as much as $2.99 a can.
Luckily I think only the more expensive proteins like rabbit cost that much at the local cat specialty store. I do wish they had a little more protein and less fat but if I don’t find anything else I probably will get this one. On the plus side no gums at least.

Check out the chicken and egg. It isn't as high calorie as you would like and I am unsure about the phosphorous. It also has clams but they are farther down the list.

There is also a chicken and liver option but it has salmon in it.

Only Natural Pet Grain-Free Pate Canned Cat Food
That one doesn’t look too bad but does fall a little too short on my calorie requirements. The 190+ per can makes it easy for me to split between the 2 for breakfast.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eh I thought simply nourish chicken pate might be promising but catfooddb says only 30% calories come from protein which is even lower than Rawz. Pass!

Rosepud

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi! My cat loves the holistic select chicken which is single protein and fairly affordable if you buy the large 12oz cans and then just use half or portion it out using a food scale. It has no carbs and is high in protein 5.5 oz has about 192.5 calories in it for this food.(My cat is on a diet we count his calories lol) It's also a pate.

Rosepud

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I apologize there is a bit of turkey in it as the 4th ingredient in the list after Chicken, Chicken liver, and chicken broth. I am not sure about the phophorous in it I'm sorry, but it doesn't have any carrageenan or menadione. Here is the link on chewy if you're still interested! https://www.chewy.com/holistic-select-chicken-pate-recipe/dp/104490 Buying the 12 oz cans it comes out to about $1.35 for 5.5oz of food. Also my cat is quite picky and he loves this food!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a dehydrated cat food, but it would be good to give as treats or as toppers, especially if you go with a pate that is a little less calorically dense! It's a complete meal so you could feed it to your boys for some breakfast variety.

Chicken and Venison Cat Food 14oz
Oh thanks! Looks pretty good. I'm guessing this is much better than dry food? Never got into dehydrated food except for freeze dried raw so not sure what regular air dried food is like. Would it be the same quality as canned, just air dried? Confused lol.

Maybe Koha LID chicken?
Unfortunately they're a little high on phosphorus at 1.7%. The caloric content from protein is a bit low too, at 27%.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I apologize there is a bit of turkey in it as the 4th ingredient in the list after Chicken, Chicken liver, and chicken broth. I am not sure about the phophorous in it I'm sorry, but it doesn't have any carrageenan or menadione. Here is the link on chewy if you're still interested! https://www.chewy.com/holistic-select-chicken-pate-recipe/dp/104490 Buying the 12 oz cans it comes out to about $1.35 for 5.5oz of food. Also my cat is quite picky and he loves this food!
Yeah darn. I dont know why they add a little bit of chicken to the turkey can and vice versa. -.- Otherwise it would have been good! I do single protein each meal to discourage any food allergies from developing since people seem to say cats who eat the same protein all the time can develop allergies to it. I don't know how true this is but I like to play it safe since a protein allergy would be incredibly annoying. I'm definitely buying this for my stepmom's strays next time. Or if I had a kitten this would be a good option.

Last edited:

Rosepud

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah darn. I dont know why they add a little bit of chicken to the turkey can and vice versa. -.- Otherwise it would have been good! I do single protein each meal to discourage any food allergies from developing since people seem to say cats who eat the same protein all the time can develop allergies to it. I don't know how true this is but I like to play it safe since a protein allergy would be incredibly annoying. I'm definitely buying this for my stepmom's strays next time. Or if I had a kitten this would be a good option.
I didn't know cats could have problems from eating the same protein all the time that's good to know as my cat currently eats chicken... And more chicken lol. Do they ever get upset stomachs from changing proteins?

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh thanks! Looks pretty good. I'm guessing this is much better than dry food? Never got into dehydrated food except for freeze dried raw so not sure what regular air dried food is like. Would it be the same quality as canned, just air dried? Confused lol.
I mean there is the lack of moisture which is important but ingredients-wise I personally don't think it would be bad to add to a rotation or as a topper/treat. Yeah I think air dried is like...jerky, but softer. I ordered Real Meat Co's Trial Size packs and my cats seem to like it ok.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
This what I feed mine (in rotation):
Redbarn lamb
Tiny Tiger beef/chicken/turkey
Crave (various flavors...Chewy had a BOGO free sale so I stocked up on it lol)
Raw (been backing off on it since they were getting bored and that stuff is too pricey to waste)
Fancy Feast Kitten
Only Natural Pet Rabbit and Pork
4Health Chicken and Whitefish

Since I have fed basically every single common protein, I too worry about an allergy developing but not having anything novel that isn't super expensive to try.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't know cats could have problems from eating the same protein all the time that's good to know as my cat currently eats chicken... And more chicken lol. Do they ever get upset stomachs from changing proteins?
From my experience, no. But I have stuck to white meats only like rabbit, chicken, turkey and quail which are easier for cats to digest. I also only feed them canned foods that are considered higher quality.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about Hound and Gatos?

I buy ZiwiPeak from my local shop as it is - surprisingly - less expensive then online (2.8$ individual can, cheaper if I buy more).

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about Hound and Gatos?

I buy ZiwiPeak from my local shop as it is - surprisingly - less expensive then online (2.8$ individual can, cheaper if I buy more).
Is that for the 2.75oz or the one that's 6oz? If it's for 6oz wow what a deal! Chewy has a case of 12 for like $40s. Ouch. Oh yeah I forgot about hound and gatos chicken. I use their rabbit regularly. I used their chicken before and it reminded me of spam lol. But yeah I could go back to them! Thanks for the reminder. Now I have Rawz and Hound and Gatos as possible candidates.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is that for the 2.75oz or the one that's 6oz? If it's for 6oz wow what a deal! Chewy has a case of 12 for like $40s. Ouch. Oh yeah I forgot about hound and gatos chicken. I use their rabbit regularly. I used their chicken before and it reminded me of spam lol. But yeah I could go back to them! Thanks for the reminder. Now I have Rawz and Hound and Gatos as possible candidates.
Yes it is for 6.5oz. Lamb which I also buy is more expensive but still cheaper than online. The same applies to Feline Natural. Maybe they have better deals with small retailers? My cats love ziwi and considering that their cans are 1oz bigger than most cans, the price difference is not always that big comparing to eg.Rawz. ZiwiPeak is actually the only chicken option that both my cats eat (one of them doesn’t like chicken). If only they didn’t add chickpeas.....