Any easy wet cat food recipes?

Mygoodkitty

My_kitten_precious
Adult Cat
Purraise
hi I’m trying to switch my cats to a wet cat food, but all the wet cat food at the store is way too spendy for the small amount I get, also I don’t know all the ingredients they put in that food, and I don’t necessarily want to give that to all of my cats. So if anyone has some good healthy wet food recipes for cats please post them here. 😊

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably the easiest will be to poach some chicken. Retain the cooking water and use it to mix in EZ Complete.
Food Fur Life - EZ Homemade raw food for pets!

Your next easiest would be to use ground freeze dried liver treats in place of fresh liver to use another completer powder like Alnutrin with Eggshell Calcium.
A Guide To A Balanced, Homemade Cat Food - Alnutrin Supplements

EZ is easier IF the pork pancreas and green lipped mussels agree with your cats. Green lipped mussels don’t agree with all cats. That’s why another powder may be preferable. But the other powders call for the addition of liver. You can get around sourcing and using fresh liver (many people don’t like working with fresh liver) by using freeze dried liver instead at about 1/3 the called for amount. There’s a specific calculation for this. But each time I ran through it, it came out to about 1/3.

If you don’t use a powder, you need to use a recipe. Meat alone is not complete. You’ll get your cats into big trouble (and not all at once) if you feed them an unbalanced diet over a long period of time.
Making Cat Food

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree,ez complete does make it easier. I like to cook but got tired of cooking,measuring, and cleaning(hate dealing with fat) and remember to put it in the fridge. I never use raw. Whatever you decide check out www.catfooddb.com. I buy mostly weruva,tiki,
dr elseys,and wellness core cuts. Also fancy feast classics and nutro perfect portions cuts in gravy. Don't like all the ingredients but my cats do and they haven't gotten sick from it. Those are the only 2 foods my cat has not thrown up

Last edited:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75 sums up the easiest ways to get started making food. Homemade is the easiest way to avoid gums and carbs!

I use Alnutrin with egg shell calcium to make cooked food. I usually add freeze-dried liver but sometimes use fresh. Although I can't say I actively enjoy making cat food, cooked food with Alnutrin works really well for our cats because the premixed ingredients are simple. And the cats like the food. I used to make food with EZ Complete, tool, but it started to make one cat barf, most likely from the mussels. With Alnutrin I just add a little fish oil to the cats' food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mygoodkitty

My_kitten_precious
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok thanks y’all, I will take all these suggestions in mind I’ll have to try these with my cats and see what works best. Thanks and God bless

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
EZ Complete, Alnutrin, and probably most of the powder completer vendors have samples programs where you can buy enough for a couple of batches for a couple of dollars before buying a big bag of powder your cats won't eat.

Mygoodkitty

My_kitten_precious
Adult Cat
Purraise
we’re thinking of getting a freeze dryer soon, so when we do I might try the freeze dried liver, I don’t know if it would be better to make my own or buy it though.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we’re thinking of getting a freeze dryer soon, so when we do I might try the freeze dried liver, I don’t know if it would be better to make my own or buy it though.
I would simply buy the freeze-dried liver. Seems odd to buy fresh liver simply to freeze dry it for a recipe that is calling for fresh liver. Otherwise, you could simply store the fresh liver in the freezer and use as needed. It's just kinda difficult to work with. If you don't mind it, you can use scissors, and a food scale to pre-measure the called for amount, then freeze in individual baggies.

Mygoodkitty

My_kitten_precious
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would simply buy the freeze-dried liver. Seems odd to buy fresh liver simply to freeze dry it for a recipe that is calling for fresh liver. Otherwise, you could simply store the fresh liver in the freezer and use as needed. It's just kinda difficult to work with. If you don't mind it, you can use scissors, and a food scale to pre-measure the called for amount, then freeze in individual baggies.
Alright. What is the best kind of liver to use

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually you want to match the liver to the meat. If you are making food with chicken meat, you can either get chicken liver from a butcher, or simply look for chicken liver treats. Sometimes these are found in the dog training section. As long as liver is the only ingredient, it doesn't matter whether the package says cat or dog treats.

Mygoodkitty

My_kitten_precious
Adult Cat
Purraise
Usually you want to match the liver to the meat. If you are making food with chicken meat, you can either get chicken liver from a butcher, or simply look for chicken liver treats. Sometimes these are found in the dog training section. As long as liver is the only ingredient, it doesn't matter whether the package says cat or dog treats.
Ok thank you so much

Mygoodkitty

My_kitten_precious
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a question. Is tuna good for cats

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I definitely wouldn't go to the trouble of freeze drying liver! I used to weigh and freeze small amounts of liver (the amount for a pound of meat), which works just fine and doesn't take up much space. When the pandemic started, I bought a large tub of freeze-dried chicken liver from Chewy. That lasted forever! Most recently I've used Primal freeze-dried turkey liver treats. Now I have some Pure Bites freeze-dried duck liver on the way. I'm sure we'll have a roast chicken soon... and then I'll put the fresh liver (and the heart and gizzard, too) to use in cat food.

I don't match the liver to the meat in the food. That might be a necessity for a cat with serious allergies but it would be a practical nightmare for us. For one thing, I'm not sure where I'd get pork liver to go in the pork food I make. For another, I mix meats a lot: the cats love chicken/pork and chicken/turkey foods.

I try to keep as many things as simple as I can when it comes to cat food.

My answer (and our vet's, too) would be no.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Tuna is not, only occasional treat. To me, less concern if bought from canned food. Adult fish swim swim way down, otherwise farther toward the shore so I read. That's where they lay thier eggs. I am curious if the tuna from commercial food are young so it's safer?

Mygoodkitty

My_kitten_precious
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tuna is not, only occasional treat. To me, less concern if bought from canned food. Adult fish swim swim way down, otherwise farther toward the shore so I read. That's where they lay thier eggs. I am curious if the tuna from commercial food are young so it's safer?
Ok, I use the canned tuna, and like u said, only as a treat. Not all the time

Mygoodkitty

My_kitten_precious
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also if y’all know of any good cat treats for helping with hairballs, I am open to any suggestions.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also if y’all know of any good cat treats for helping with hairballs, I am open to any suggestions.
Vet's Best Hairball Relief/Digestive Aid! They also really help our cat who tends to get constipated. Both our cats love them. (I give each cat 1.5 tablets a day; the label says to give 2 but 1.5 seems to be just right for them. I break/crumble them into little pieces and put them on their food.)

daftcat75 daftcat75 is Betty White still taking the same hairball treats? Edwina took those for a while and liked them. (They also seemed to make her fur softer...)

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Betty White was taking Pet Naturals of Vermont. I liked them. Betty liked them when she liked them. But the last couple of bags did not meet her approval. For now, I'm mostly relying on pred and scheduled meals to do the heavy lifting. She gets one Greenie. I'm not sure that's enough. But I don't trust those yet. She also gets one freeze-dried rabbit treat with the Greenie just because I felt bad giving her a single Greenie.

So short story long: we're kind of in-between hairball treats and kind of not needing them either. I do want to shop around again this weekend to see if I can find something similar to the VT chews. I liked those because the chicken was hydrolyzed. We may eventually need to steer away from chicken. But so far, Betty's only IBD presentation has been hairballs. And since starting the pred, she hasn't had any.

Mygoodkitty

My_kitten_precious
Adult Cat
Purraise
Vet's Best Hairball Relief/Digestive Aid! They also really help our cat who tends to get constipated. Both our cats love them. (I give each cat 1.5 tablets a day; the label says to give 2 but 1.5 seems to be just right for them. I break/crumble them into little pieces and put them on their food.)
[/URL]

daftcat75 daftcat75 is Betty White still taking the same hairball treats? Edwina took those for a while and liked them. (They also seemed to make her fur softer...)
hi thank you so much for your help, I’m gonna order some and try them,

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise

I use vets best. All 3 of my cats like it. They are bigger than what I normally get