Any Difference Between Human/cat Taurine Supplements?

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can order taurine for cats online, but it will be a couple of days before it gets here. GNC sells human taurine supplements that I could pick up today. Does anyone know if it is the same? I forgot to ask the vet this and now they are closed for the weekend. I want to start my heart patient kitty on this asap, but I am worried the human form might be different.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi weebeasties weebeasties - were you able to check with your vet, for their opinion? A variety of brands probably have some ingredient differences. I'd probably go with what your vet or cardio vet says, just so you all are on the same page. :hearthrob:

I just decided not to use a human form for Milly, choosing Felo Taurine from here,
Felo Taurine

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Insofar as the actual taurine itself, they would be identical. However, most supplements contain other ingredients, so I'd stick with the feline formula, just to be safe. Check with your vet, though...if he says the human variety is fine, use is, AND LET US KNOW!

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi weebeasties!

I'm not familiar with the 'Vet variety', nor what extra ongredients it may contain.

I add additional Taurine to my cats' wet foods, primarily because I'm adding cooked chicken to off-the-shelf meat varieties by Wellness.

I use Now brand capsules: Taurine, Double Strength 1000 mg Veg Capsules

I̶f̶ ̶I̶ ̶w̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶s̶m̶a̶r̶t̶e̶r̶ I could save some money if I used the pure powder: Taurine Pure Powder

Now Foods is a well-known, reputable manufacturer.

Pure Taurine is just that (and it's what you need/want). The Now powder has absolutely nothing else included - the capsule version contains gelatin (the capsule itself) and Stearic Acid, an safe, inactive ingredient used to facilitate the powder flowing through the capsule filling equipment.

I saw one GNC 500mg product that had cellulose and Dicalcium Phosphate listed as (other) ingredients. I think cellulose is the capsule itself, I'm not familiar with the other.

Online, GNC products appear premium-priced.

After all of that, yes, pure Taurine is pure Taurine, no matter the one consuming it.....just know/identify any other ingredients. Your pharmacy or health supplements store should have it.

Hope you're managing with all three heartaches:redheartpump:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
However, most supplements contain other ingredients, ...
I agree with that and would just add a bit more... that remember we are dealing with CATS and their fine noses :caticon: :rolleyes: and sometimes they won't eat one formula versus another because of possible difference in smells in the formula. I find that Milly (who is usually picky if I try to add things on top or mixed into her meals, unless it's a fave treat) will gobble any food with the Felo Taurine sprinkled over it. So, if you have a cat ignoring one formula & walking away from food with taurine powder on it, try another. The Felo Taurine powder has an inactive ingredient of maltodextrin in it, so that might appeal to cats.

... I use Now brand capsules: Taurine, Double Strength 1000 mg Veg Capsules

I̶f̶ ̶I̶ ̶w̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶s̶m̶a̶r̶t̶e̶r̶ I could save some money if I used the pure powder: Taurine Pure Powder

Now Foods is a well-known, reputable manufacturer.

Pure Taurine is just that (and it's what you need/want). The Now powder has absolutely nothing else included ....just know/identify any other ingredients. Your pharmacy or health supplements store should have it.
I generally agree with this too, but one reason I think it's important to get a vet involved in your decision-making is that (1) all cats' situations (health or otherwise) are unique, and (2) different brands of taurine, whether feline or human, seem to have different strengths. I think it's good to find out from your vet how much is good to sprinkle on your particular cat's food. Also, there's a cost difference.

For example, the Felo Taurine I use has 1,000 mg per teaspoon of powder (~5 g) and the directions for cats are to give 1/2 teaspoon orally per day (that's about 500 mg). I only give Milly about 1/8 teaspoon, sprinkled over her food once daily. I could probably give her 500 mg, but, as yet, I don't. The container of 16 ounces is $16.99 and lasts a long time in our household, if you keep the powder in the container moisture-free.

The taurine powder from NOW foods (human supplement) has a human serving size of 1/4 teaspoon and at that serving size, it has 1,000 mg taurine in it. You could check with your vet if 1/8 (500mg) is what would be good for your cat if you use that formula. That container is $13.99, but for only 8 ounces.

The double strength taurine capsules are also 1,000 mg taurine per the human serving size. Might have stearic acid mixed in with the taurine; and has a cellulose capsule (which you won't use for the cats, since you'll be opening the capsule to get at the powder). It indicates, for humans, to "take 1/4 level teaspoon 1 to 2 times daily with juice or water, preferably between meals." 100 capsules, $12.99.

The 500 mg capsules from NOW foods might have rice flour mixed in with the taurine powder (unless both rice flour and gelatin make up the capsule shell), and for humans, "take 1 capsule 1 to 4 times daily with juice or water, preferably between meals." 100 capsules, $7.99.

I found asking my vet to be a valuable action.:redheartpump: And also, Milly doesn't have specific health issues that would be affected by a taurine supplement.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I left a message with my vet's answering service Saturday morning. They said they would call me back shortly, but they never did.
My thoughts on getting the human capsules was that as long as it was safe, #1 I could get it immediately and #2 if Spike didn't like it, then I could take them.:p
Since I am having to wait until Monday to talk to the vet anyway, I suppose I shall go ahead and order the cat version.
Thanks for the input everbody. You all know what it's like, when one of your babies is sick, you can't think straight. My mind is a bit frazzled and I greatly appreciate your advice!
:thanks:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I saw this product on chewy.com and wanted to try it for my own cats, but it comes from China, so I don't know.
Considering what I know about Chewy, if they carry it, I don't worry about it. And just so you are aware, MOST of the world's drugs, including what you are buying from your local pharmacy, now come from China.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No difference. Just get the pure stuff. I personally use this since I make large batches of cat food.

BulkSupplements Taurine Powder (500 grams)

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Considering what I know about Chewy, if they carry it, I don't worry about it. And just so you are aware, MOST of the world's drugs, including what you are buying from your local pharmacy, now come from China.
I have no doubt that this is true, but given the pet food fiasco that happened several years ago when many animals died from ingesting contaminated food with ingredients sourced from China, it always worries me.

Weasel21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I ordered mine from Amazon, since human vitamins can have additives. PetAg Taurine Tablets for cats. I crushed them and added them to food (my cats wouldn't eaten them as is, unlike some of the reviews suggested). My vet wasn't helpful in telling me what brand to get or how much to give. Here is a link to one of the early taurine/DCM studies on cats; if your vet can tell you how much to give, send them this and ask if the same amount used in the study would be appropriate: https://www.researchgate.net/profil...ementation/links/0fcfd509c50743b000000000.pdf

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have no doubt that this is true, but given the pet food fiasco that happened several years ago when many animals died from ingesting contaminated food with ingredients sourced from China, it always worries me.
Thankfully, they seem to be far, far better about medicines than about foodstuffs, including pet foods. I wouldn't feed a pet food from there, either.