Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Junker1004

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone! His name was Stella but then we realized he was a he :lol: Now he is Ragnar or Raggy for short. Was curious if he had any bengal in him because of the spots on his belly. Bought him at 8 or so weeks old from a random man selling kittens out of a box and he had no idea who the parents were.

Attachments

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! His name was Stella but then we realized he was a he :lol: Now he is Ragnar or Raggy for short. Was curious if he had any bengal in him because of the spots on his belly. Bought him at 8 or so weeks old from a random man selling kittens out of a box and he had no idea who the parents were.
Lots of tabbys( color pattern) can have spotted bellies.Domestic cats are identified by their color,it's not a breed.
Bengals are a specific breed of cat,commonly you'll see "rosettes" in their color pattern ,tabby,marbles but color is not what they are identified by( although the rosettes are unique to Bengals & Bengal mixes)
The characteristics of the Bengal breed are their coat is 'ticked" and so it gives a shimmering appearance ( each strand is multi-colored), the fur is short,dense and extremely soft- more like that if a rabbit

Body structure is a key point,if you watch a Bengal walk you'll notice a very different walk than other cats,that's because their hind legs are much longer,higher which gives them extreme agility and speed,they are extraordinarily high jumpers because of their body structure
Bengals heads are small in comparison to their long body's and their ears are slightly rounded at the tip....

Bengal have a natural attraction to water but of course there are quite a few individuals of many breeds,colors and varieties that like to play in water

Body structure is different- my Bengal loois like a cheetah sometimes as I watch him swagger by with the long body and high hind legs..... It's difficult to identify an unregistered kitty as Bengal

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
J Junker1004

Of course there's a few things I did not mention and that's simply because a tabby could also have it in common- for example Bengals have what looks like a thumbprint on their ears,the immistakable M on their forheads and very round eyes but one notable difference is tabbys are usually symmetrical ( their coat pattern) on both sides and they can be asymmetrical- the Bengal is never symmetrical

My Sami(Bengal ) was abandoned,I did not acquire him from a breeder-though highly likely he was dumped by a very unethical local breeder right in my neighborhood

So,besides all the characteristics of the breed ,how do we know Sami is Bengal-simple DNA test It's not expensive at all and Bengals have specific markers that can positively identify them

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Junker1004

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ragnar is a bit older now. Here are some new pictures! Any changes in opinion on breed? He’s beautiful regardless just curious.

Attachments