Any advice for a cat that claws you every time she jumps in your lap?

malla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My youngest is about 8 months old. I don't know why but she can't seem to do anything without using her claws. She is also the most terrible to scratch and claw at furniture, door facings, etc. 

Every time she jumps into my lap, she uses her claws, to jump up and to jump out. When in my lap, she purrs away, flexing her her paws, clawing into my knees all the while. It's not just light scratches, she usually draws blood or tears the skin. 

She loves to doze in my lap and I hate the idea of not letting her in my lap any more but I'm tired of her digging me 20 times a day. Any advice?

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you clip her claws? Blunt claws do a lot less damage (and are less likely to get caught in carpet--I have clipped my cats' claws ever since Tiny got his claw caught in the carpet and limped for days; I think he must have sprained a toe, poor guy).

Just snip off the very tip of the claw with nail clippers. Don't cut into the quick, obviously. There are kitty nail clippers available, but I just use a good sharp pair of human nail clippers.

It sounds like you have an enthusiastic kneader with sharp claws. The cat is probably totally oblivious to the fact that she's sticking her claws into your legs. Try clipping them, see if that works. A nice thick towel or blanket draped across the lap can also put a barrier between you and kitty's pointy ends.

Some cats will get the point if you yelp and push them away when they claw you in play. Try that, see if she gets it. A littermate would probably have yelled and refused to play anymore or even whacked her with a paw if she went too far during play with bites or claws.

Last edited: