Any Advice/encouragement Is Truly Welcomed

ExoticCatnip149

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,

I've previously posted about my re-intro saga and just wanted some feedback for what's been happening. Since non pet parents think I'm nuts, I just wanted to reiterate how thankful I am for places like this.

Here goes:

I'm still site swapping. About a month ago, I started putting the girl (non aggressor) in the carrier for a few while I let the boy (aggressor) roam the rest of the house. Then I open the flap to the carrier, give them all treats and stay close. I'd do this for no more than 30 min. I started to notice how the boy would approach, they'd smell each other with no reaction and a few times I saw soft licks from both parties - a good sign right? I did this at least twice a day and noticed that in the evening after they ate and before swapping, the boy would come and lay in front of it and they'd both just sleep there for a bit. She intially wouldn't try and leave the carrier and I didn't push either way - just observed. Even more progress right?

After 2 weeks of this, I started to see my girl become more confident and actually stand up and try and walk out. The first few times that I caught a vibe from him like it wouldn't last, I wouldn't let her go to far without motioning for her to go back into the safety of the carrier. Then I noticed how the minute he didn't see her in the carrier, he'd stop whatever he was doing, go searching and then run up on her. I was pretty good at sensing and stopping things before they went left so there were no fights up until 2 weeks ago.

This particular morning, all were out and relaxed. It was like old times. She was on my bed sleeping and he was going on like he did before they fought - bird watching and playing with his toys. After a while, he climbs up the bed and lays down next to her. They eventually start playfully slap boxing -a soft paw here, a soft paw there. Then it got &$#* real. In breaking it up, he caught me in the vein on my hand and I ended up with a trip to urgent care. What fun and expensive times, I tell you.

My first and probably obvious question is, wtf? While being seperated (they can fully smell and see each other) they don't react negatively at all. They smell each other and paw at each other playfully. The boy is fixed. All are heathy. I'm following expert protocol with the site swapping. Why is he such a dick to her now? I have another cat who he fine with.

Second question, is there any other technique I could use that I haven't already tried....and believe me I've tried alot...(pheromone this, flower essence that, cbd, reiki).

thanks for reading...

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I'm so sorry this happened!!
I took a look back at some of your posts, and I'm not sure but I feel like I'm picking up on something that's indicating you are a territorial catalyst.

Try this, --if you could get a calming spray and spray your clothing and hands. In addition, find a calming collar or treats that work for Roo (see below).

Also try some music for all of your cats - there's an app called Relax My Cats, or there's MusicForCats . com

I didn't see that these articles had been posted for you (my apologies if you've seen them already)

Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do)

These are just a few on the market, hopefully there is something here you haven't tried that will work;
Richard's Organics Pet Calm-those are drops that you put on the tip of their tongue. You could consider Quiet Moments Cat treats, there is Calming Care, Calm-o-mile, Sentry, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has a calming product, Pet Naturals also has one I believe.
Also Thunderease has diffusers as does Sentry.
Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course chewy, also there's Petwishpros, drsfostersmith, animaleo.

Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ExoticCatnip149

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
when you have the time, please expand on what you've picked up as far as me being a territorial catalyst...so I can NOT do that.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I don't know how much you truly can do but there might be a little...

If it were me, I'd try the spray on my clothing, and I'd keep both cats away from me, (for a while).

In other words if one cat jumps up into your lap, you've just become that cat's territory, so you'd want to get up and leave in order to avoid the other cat becoming jealous.

I don't know, it's just something that occurred to me that jealousy over you might be a trigger...

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll admit that I did not read up on your other threads, so this may have been covered, but, you posted that you boy is neutered...Is your girl spayed as well? and how old is she? Depending on how old she is (fluctuating hormones) if she's not spayed, he could be reacting to that, some male cats can still exhibit "non neutered" behaviors sometimes.