Any Aby breeders here?

williecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd love to get an honest opinion on how well my Aby fits the standard, just for curiosity's sake. I'll be back with some pics.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Best way is to show her if at all possible.  She is certainly cute, unfortunately I've yet to find the breed standard that awards points for being cute!

williecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can see myself getting into cat shows when my kids are older. It would be a fascinating hobby! Right now, they're too young to devote the time to it and I don't have permission from her breeder to show her anyway. But if there was a standard for sweetness, she'd win! Her name is Pepper but we call her Princess Peppy.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Best to ask your breeder, most love getting updates.

Aby's in the US are slightly different to other parts of the world, her ear set looks a little high and more flared, neck not as long - but that could be the angle of the phots. Cats also need to be held, to feel the bone structure and condition of the cat.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't know the breeder could withhold permission to show a cat.  In the UK they can't.  But why has permission been withheld?  Has the breeder transfered the papers?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here kittens are registered as pet only (cannot to be shown), show neuter or entire. 

Pet quality cats can be shown in the domestic class in the US, still polite to have breeders permission. In my association pet pedigrees can't be shown, domestics is for domestics. 

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
CFA does not differentiate between pet and show quality when registering cats. The current rules state that registered cats may be entered as Household Pets (domestic) only if they have a disqualifying feature. My aby is pet quality, but with no disqualifying features he has to be entered in the breed or not at all. Fortunately, his breeder has given me permission to show him. Some breeders do not want their pet quality cats to be shown because they feel it reflects poorly on their breeding program.

At the show last weekend one exhibitor entered her aby as an HHP because he has crossed eyes. There was an extensive discussion with the judges about whether that is a disqualifying feature (no concensus was reached).

At the national meeting this year a proposal was passed which changes the HHP rules. Basically, any cat, registered or not, can be entered as an HHP. I believe it has to be ratified by the board and will go into effect next year, but don't quote me on that. I haven't seen an official announcement of the process.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
CFA does not differentiate between pet and show quality when registering cats.
So is there anything to stop pet owners showing cats that shouldn't be shown - or that the breeder prefers not to be shown?

Last edited:

williecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So is there anything to stop pet owners showing cats that shouldn't be shown - or that the breeder prefers not to be shown?
I don't think so, not legally. In my contract, I agreed to have her spayed, never declaw her, return to breeder if I'm unable to keep her and not to show or breed her. From what I've read though, once ownership is transferred, she is mine to do with as I wish. I don't think the breeder has any legal rights at this point. But I will abide by the contract because I want to keep a good relationship with the breeder and they are things I would do anyway. Many breeders I looked at would sell show quality kittens at a higher price and provide mentoring if one planned to show.

OS-I don't have her papers yet, he will send them once I provide proof she is spayed. This also seems to be the norm. Her surgery is scheduled for Monday.

MM-I totally agree about her ears, she are set high and I wanted that. Some of the Best of Breed abys have much lower earsets and I don't like it as much. About her neck, I'm not sure. It's definitely long and slender, but I don't have anything to compare it to to see if its long enough. I also think her feet are huge, they're supposed to be small delicate ovals and hers are enormous! Her eye color is still developing, most times they are gold but sometimes they have a lot of green. I think unclear eyes is undesirable but she's still young enough that its ok.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Her eye color is still developing, most times they are gold but sometimes they have a lot of green. I think unclear eyes is undesirable but she's still young enough that its ok.
Green and gold are the only eye colors allowed by the breed standard. It doesn't seem to bother the judges if it's a mix of the two. Merlin's eyes are listed as gold in his papers, but they are still changing (he's 3-1/2 years old) getting more and more green all the time.

williecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Goldy, can you share a pic of Merlin? I cold look at abyssinians all day long. I was hoping Peppy's eyes would go green but you can only see the green when her pupils are small.