Anxious/sensitive Cat Momentarily Forgets Who I Am?

catalinacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So today while exercising in my room, my cat got really scared of my feet and attacked it, and seemed to look at me like I was a different animal she didn't know. And I don't mean in a playful manner, but in a manner where she really thought she was being threatened it seems. My foot only has a light scratch so that's not a big deal, but when I tried to walk away or move she would hiss and not act herself. Did my feet movement just spook her? (I was jogging in place)

She kept meowing at me like I was someone she didn't know and I had to slowly calm her down by talking to her and even like pet my own feet to make her see that my feet are not a threat. She was purring and nudging me with her head later, but she still would be antsy of my feet. She is always by my feet, walks around by me, so I'm not sure why today she felt so threatened by it. I've also exercise before and she seemed fine, albeit I haven't done it for a while at home.

She has been on and off constipated (although slowly getting better), eating patterns are slightly off so I'm not sure if that's causing stress or there's other factors of stress causing all of that. I was going to take her to the vet anyways later this week but guess I have another thing to talk to them about.

I've had her for two years and this has only happened one other time when I went gardening and came back with soil scent on my pants. The scent threw her off and although she didn't attack me at the time she had the same frantic, "high alert" type of behavior where she wouldn't let me move and seemed uncertain of who I was and would sniff me and meow threateningly and it took her a while to calm her down then, too. I didn't go out gardening or do anything different that would involve scent today, though.

I just get weirded out in these moments where she seems to forget I am me?
Her usual self is where she'll meow at me to come play with her (and you can distinctly tell the difference by her happy meows), calmly be laying near me where I'm working, and is the type who sleeps on my lap or on my chest while purring. She does get spooked easily, and can get into "bottle brush tail" mode while playing at times, though, so I'm not sure if this is just an extension of that where she was just spooked by the slight changes.

Are cats generally this sensitive? Is there anything I can do to make sure she has less stress/anxiety over slight changes?

The only other changes I can think is changes in my pheromones in parts of menstrual cycle, but I'm not sure if that's stretching it?

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ummm, maybe not stretching it, but maybe try music, classical harp music can be useful to calm cats. She does sound a little extra high-strung, at least to me but it's normal for her, so there you go :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catalinacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll try the harp music, thanks. But no, this is not normal for her. Like I said, it only has happened once before. She's a really chill cat usually.

catalinacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to update and say I figured out why she was going bonkers last night. It was because there are mice that got into my house and she absolutely despises the smell of other animals. I think she was actually severely scared and she must have caught scent of it and turned aggressive. It also explains why she was being antsy as of late. Unlike other cats, she is scared instead of being able to catch them!

Sounds weird, but as soon as I took her to a room far away from the offended areas where mice are most likely lurking she is herself again...but now I have to get rid of the mice! Thank you for the good vibes. I was so scared she just hated me.

catalinacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the update :vibes::heartshape:

Hang in there!
Thank you. I didn't get any sleep last night because of the way she was acting, I was literally put to tears because she was at some points being so hostile and not even letting me move out of the room and basically glaring me down and being so evil even though the scent is literally coming from MICE, cleaning up everything is so much to do, and now she's meowing incessantly in the room I put her in and it's a lot. I don't even know how many days it'll be till those mice are caught. I honestly don't like how I'm being pushed to a point where it's like "Will I actually have to adopt her out?" "Is she actually a dangerous cat?" "Am I the right owner for her?" Last night was one of the WORST experience I ever had with her and I don't know how many more times I could put up with it. She was basically a different cat. And I hate how it's making me dislike my own cat who I've taken care of since she was 2 months. I hate how it's making me forget all the good times because she really made me feel unsafe yesterday.