Anxious Of Spaying Cat

panda.bear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's past midnight here and I removed the food bowl from my kitten cage. She's going in for spaying tomorrow so she needs to fast.

I read up a lot about the benefits of spaying etc and I know she should be fixed now
- about 6 or 7 months
- never been pregnant
- have yet to go on heat

The problem is.. I'm anxious. I know it's standard procedure but I never had cats before and she's my little kitty who has no idea what is going to happen.

I feel bad that she has to go through this and I am nervous about the whole thing. Can someone share this feeling of mine and relate on how their experience was? I just want her to be okay.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My girl got spayed around the same age and this was her 24 hours after her procedure:

View media item 420581
While it is a fairly invasive procedure for females, kittens bounce back very quickly.

• My girl didn't wear a cone because I decided that the mental trauma for her wasn't worth it. But my girl panics if her collar has a hanging tag. Instead, I kept constant watch on her and the wound knowing that if she messed with it, I'd have to intervene. If your vet recommends it and your cat doesn't freak out with it, a cone is a good safety measure to ensure clean healing.

• I also don't do pain medications after surgeries as a general rule. I get them in case my cat needs them but I don't administer unless they have decreased appetite or signs of pain. Only because they don't know they had surgery so feeling the pain limits their movement whereas giving them medication would numb the pain and cause them to over do it. Plus my boy really does not handle pain medication well at all. BUT, that is my personal opinion and what I choose.
  • I do advise that you follow vet directions for a smooth healing and ask your vet if you can email photos if you have concerns about healing.
  • I also would advise to take a daily (or twice daily) wound photo and compare them. That way you can tell if it is getting better or worse by comparison instead of just thinking it looks one way or the other.
  • Don't worry if the first 24 to 72 hours she is grumpy. Some cats just don't handle pain medication or sedation well. They can be moody until the drugs wear out of their system which includes hissing, growling or swiping at you. It is not normal but does happen and is not a concern; it will pass.
  • Grab some human meat baby food (I prefer chicken, check label for no garlic and no onion). It makes a good little easy to lap up treat for cats after a procedure that also helps hydrate them. Being well hydrated after a procedure allows their bodies to heal faster and process out any medications. Also have some unflavored Pedialyte on hand just Incase you need it (both of these are just general good items for a cat emergency kit).
  • If your vet offers it, opt to have an IV put in and kept in during recovery (before sent home). My vet does this and does a hydration drip in the recovery kennel to help flush their system. If you vet just has an IV in though it will allow quicker administration of meds should something go wrong. Some vets offer it as an additional cost and it is worth it.
  • If the wound looks red, has spreading red or leaks check with your vet right away. My vet will let me send a photo and tell me if I need to come in after procedures. It's better to jump at shadows then let an infection spread.
  • Most cats will regain their appetite within 24 hours. Tempt your cat with smelly and favorite foods to encourage eating but understand it may take a little while, staying hydrated is more important the first day or two so offer wet food frequently. You can water it down to make it easier to lap up.
  • Most cats won't go potty for a day or two. Don't panic if you don't see litter box usage until the second day.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Everone feels anxious about this procedure but the vets do it do often. I had both my girls spayed about 4 months apart and it was no easier the second time. For me the worst part was leaving them at the vets and walking away. Waiting anxiously for the phone call to tell you to pick them up and the relief of having them home and finding that they hardly noticed anything different. They just wanted food. As long as you make sure she doesnt run and jump about too much the first couple of days ( and she will want to) she should be fine. Make sure she doesnt lick the wound and try to pull out the stitches. It is a good idea to have a collar ready incase you need it. Make sure the wound stays clean. If you have any worries once she is home, give your vet a call. You can also post photos on this site if you are concerned. Just keep busy tomorrow until she is home then spend time with her. Keep us updated.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She may be groggy and "off" for the first 24 hours, so don't let that alarm you. And do remember, you are cutting WAY WAY down on her chances of getting hormone-driven cancers, such as uterine and breast cancers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

panda.bear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was thinking of boarding her overnight at the vet for observation, at least for one night. She has her own make shift cage room outside the porch where I planned to let her rest and I'll watch and accompany her from inside the house, just separated from netting.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi panda.bear.

I went back and looked over your earlier posts about her.

First, there are some comments above about not using pain medication. Where it comes to this kind of invasive surgery in particular, that approach is completely incompatible with modern medicine. Adequate pain control is proven to speed healing and recovery and is considered essential.

And, the issue of giving her medications is probably what should guide your decision on boarding/home recovery. If she is going to be difficult to medicate, then, were it me, I'd probably board her at the Vet's - maybe beyond one night. You'd need to have a discussion with the Vet or the Vet Technician (not the front desk staff!) about the type of pain control that will be used for her, what she will be expected to take in the days after surgery/how it's to be given, and then decide whether/not you can easily manage that. Cats do not generally take kindly to being medicated. You don't want wrestling matches with a post-surgical kitty. (Ask them as well about using a baby's onesie for her.)

One of the most common problems with post-spay care has to do with the cat licking and over-grooming the incision site. Often this occurs because the cat's pain is not adequately well-controlled. With adequate pain management, this is not an issue.

I read that she has some kind of outside containment area. If she's not easily accessible to you in there, it might be advisable to keep her strictly inside for 4-5 days - and, if that's not possible, it makes a greater case for boarding.

Hope something in there will help.

panda.bear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi panda.bear.

I went back and looked over your earlier posts about her.

First, there are some comments above about not using pain medication. Where it comes to this kind of invasive surgery in particular, that approach is completely incompatible with modern medicine. Adequate pain control is proven to speed healing and recovery and is considered essential.

And, the issue of giving her medications is probably what should guide your decision on boarding/home recovery. If she is going to be difficult to medicate, then, were it me, I'd probably board her at the Vet's - maybe beyond one night. You'd need to have a discussion with the Vet or the Vet Technician (not the front desk staff!) about the type of pain control that will be used for her, what she will be expected to take in the days after surgery/how it's to be given, and then decide whether/not you can easily manage that. Cats do not generally take kindly to being medicated. You don't want wrestling matches with a post-surgical kitty. (Ask them as well about using a baby's onesie for her.)

One of the most common problems with post-spay care has to do with the cat licking and over-grooming the incision site. Often this occurs because the cat's pain is not adequately well-controlled. With adequate pain management, this is not an issue.

I read that she has some kind of outside containment area. If she's not easily accessible to you in there, it might be advisable to keep her strictly inside for 4-5 days - and, if that's not possible, it makes a greater case for boarding.

Hope something in there will help.
I did consider boarding her for two nights but will ask the vet about it. Her containment area is easily accessible but will monitor her and bring her in if necessary.

Sending her in in two hours but she's hungry now.

panda.bear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update : so I sent someone to visit her.. Its been 24 hours since her surgery. Vet reported that she's not eating much due to environmental change.

She's not her active self either. A small incision covered by bandage for now.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She’s beautiful. It’s OK not to have a great appetite after surgery. Just make sure she is eating something.

As one who’s undergone surgery, I can’t say I am a fan of withholding pain meds. If you need to keep your cat from jumping around, a small kennel will do that.

panda.bear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She’s beautiful. It’s OK not to have a great appetite after surgery. Just make sure she is eating something.

As one who’s undergone surgery, I can’t say I am a fan of withholding pain meds. If you need to keep your cat from jumping around, a small kennel will do that.
Nurse said she's eating a little bit. Can't wait to get her home and talk to her..

panda.bear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How many months old onesies should I get? Is it normal for her to be non active and eating less?

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here is my girl after surgery. She was groggy and adjusted to the cone (I tried the onesie and she got out of it). The vet gave meds for 3 days - metacam I believe, which helped tremendously. It's abdominal surgery and I wanted her to be comfy. It's normal to be anxious, she's your baby!

IMG_1176.PNG

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be very careful with pain meds, they are easy to mismeasure. Get the correct dose and double check every time. The pain med itself can cause no appetite and grogginess. I have never used a cone, nor pain medicine, with any of my cats, and they have recovered just as well and just as fast as the cats of people I know who use both. Cones and giving meds both cause stress and struggling.
I get sick to my stomach every time before a spay, and I have done it so many times, and I am a nurse. Spay surgery is more invasive then neutering, so usually takes up to three days for the cat to get back to more normal. It is hard, but a life of litter after litter, all the hormones that surge through their little bodies, and the chance of mammary cancer from not spaying is enough reason for me to get trhough it. All the luck!

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
white shadow white shadow Great ideas about the onesies! Keeping photos!

P panda.bear Yes, it’s normal for her to not be totally herself for a day or two. Any more than that, call your vet. You want to keep an eye on the incision (once a day is enough) to make sure there is no redness, swelling or discharge.

Last edited:

panda.bear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I got her home and I did ask the vet about the make shift cut shirt technique. They did say there's a risk she might wiggle out of it.

She's in the house compound now having her walks which is her routine. Getting annoyed with the cone as she cannot scratch her face or go in between plants.

Tomorrow I'll be removing the bandage from her wound and maybe then I'll try to slip on the male shift t shirt on her. The vet says the cone stays till next Saturday

Am I to be concern she's leaping to catch flies like she normally do?