Anxious kitten😩

Lilo Monroe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all, this is Julio, he's the 4-5 month boy cat I mentioned, Now, I don't know if its my anxiety thats making me think this.. but he cries (not tears but sounds.) a lot, Whenever he's alone, he'll cry. When his big sisters aren't around, he cries, when my mom isn't around, he cries, when me or my brother aren't around, he cries !

He's about the same age as his older sister, dorie, and she can be alone just fine. (unless she knows i'm somewhere and she has a catittude cause she wants some cuddles😽), We're taking them for a check up soon for their nails to get trimmed, a check up, and to see if Julio has allergies😩 (sneezy boy.) Should we also get him checked for anxiety or is this just me being an overbearing cat owner😅

(heres a picture of julio underneath the fishtank he likes to watch.)

Attachments

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Julio is absolutely adorable. :cutecat: It's difficult to know if he has anxiety at this young an age. Can you put some clothing or blankets with the scent of his big sisters and your family members near him for comfort when he's alone? Do you know how old he was when he left his mother? I thought this Article regarding that subject might have some helpful information for you:
How Old Do Kittens Have To Be To Leave Their Mother? – TheCatSite Articles

It's wise you're taking him to the vet for a check up especially since you mentioned he's been sneezing. It's possible he has the start of a URI and, therefore, it could be a health related problem. You're not being an overbearing cat owner at all. There are many of us on the site who worry non-stop about our cats and are overly concerned about their well being. Best of luck, please keep us posted on Julio and your other kitties. :alright:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like separation anxiety though a vet visit is good.

There are things you can do to lesson the the separation anxiety. Might I suggest practice leaving him alone, even if just for 5 minutes every day? If the separation anxiety tips don’t work, then I would recommend you talk to your vet about it & try a medication.

BTW Julio is adorable!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lilo Monroe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Julio is absolutely adorable. :cutecat: It's difficult to know if he has anxiety at this young an age. Can you put some clothing or blankets with the scent of his big sisters and your family members near him for comfort when he's alone? Do you know how old he was when he left his mother? I thought this Article regarding that subject might have some helpful information for you:
How Old Do Kittens Have To Be To Leave Their Mother? – TheCatSite Articles

It's wise you're taking him to the vet for a check up especially since you mentioned he's been sneezing. It's possible he has the start of a URI and, therefore, it could be a health related problem. You're not being an overbearing cat owner at all. There are many of us on the site who worry non-stop about our cats and are overly concerned about their well being. Best of luck, please keep us posted on Julio and your other kitties. :alright:
We got all 3 from an animal shelter, we weren't given any information about whether they were found with the mother, without, or the mother came to them and gave birth.. he shares a 4 cube cubby with his sisters and sometimes he'll sit in their beds but lately that isn't enough😩 also he used to have boogers all around his nose that i'd wipe with a slightly wet paper towel but they've gone away so i just thought that he was probably had sneezing reactions when fragrances are too strong but i don't exactly where any around him and he still sneezes😅

Lilo Monroe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like separation anxiety though a vet visit is good.

There are things you can do to lesson the the separation anxiety. Might I suggest practice leaving him alone, even if just for 5 minutes every day? If the separation anxiety tips don’t work, then I would recommend you talk to your vet about it & try a medication.

BTW Julio is adorable!
We've been working on it, baby steps cause I don't want him to think that we're ignoring him, but usually after about 2-7 minutes he'll start crying again, sometimes he wants me to sit and watch him eat his lunch. I told my mother that I think that he might have slight separation anxiety, which the signs are certainly growing stronger 😩 and Thank you, I'll be sure to tell him that (I think he only knows commands and compliments so he'll probably understand 😽)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe it is anxiety but at his age I really doubt it. To me he may simply be a very vocal cat that needs to talk (a lot) about what is on his mind. You can have half a dozen fairly quiet kittens and one in the litter that is the loud and opinionated. It does take some getting used to and this vocal trait will be with him his whole life.

I would start with the basics. If he is eating, being fed enough, growing on schedule, using the litterbox, playing normally and had been vet checked then he is very likely a normal kitten who is just loud and demanding.

Lilo Monroe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's a very smart boy, in fact, he was able to process the use of the litter box faster than his older sisters, and he seems to be just fine like any other kitten, but its always when he's by himself he gets all screamy and starts crying.. It could be for attention but I just wanna be sure in case it's something more..

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The meowing is for humans not other cats. Kittens are conceived up to a week apart. So they will often reach milestones the same #of days after the ‘oldest’ kitty as how many days ‘you get’ they are.

My cat Jackie is a very vocal cat! He also is a bit needy. What worked for me was talking to him when he meows all loud in the shower (his favorite place to yodel! 🤦🏻‍♀️) However he does scream his head off if I leave the apartment to go get mail without him. However once I get in the parking lot, he shuts up.

I would borrow a phone and call it, then leave your call running as you leave your home & drive away. Does he shut up or keep screaming? For how long?

Lilo Monroe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The meowing is for humans not other cats. Kittens are conceived up to a week apart. So they will often reach milestones the same #of days after the ‘oldest’ kitty as how many days ‘you get’ they are.

My cat Jackie is a very vocal cat! He also is a bit needy. What worked for me was talking to him when he meows all loud in the shower (his favorite place to yodel! 🤦🏻‍♀️) However he does scream his head off if I leave the apartment to go get mail without him. However once I get in the parking lot, he shuts up.

I would borrow a phone and call it, then leave your call running as you leave your home & drive away. Does he shut up or keep screaming? For how long?
Julio's an interesting cat cause its not like he's alone 24/7, sometimes when his oldest sister is asleep and the middle one is in my room, he'll start screaming until the oldest sister wakes up and then he stops, maybe he's just a little attention hungry baby and it isn't anxiety like i thought 😅