Anxious cat's emotional support buddy now fighting with him; household imploded after bout of redirected aggression. Begging for help!

Jjgalaxy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please forgive the length of this. I could really, REALLY use some advice. There are three cats in this saga. Oliver is high strung, anxious, easily over stimulated, and has previously had issues with tail chasing and self-mutilation. Thor is a placid, easy going guy. Stark is extremely well socialized, loves everyone, and at the shelter was very cat social (he broke out of his cage to cuddle with the kitten next door.)

We had Thor first, then adopted Oliver. After a very slow introduction and careful redirection, they were able to coexist fairly well. They would have occasional fights, but nothing extreme or unmanageable and mostly just ignored each other. About a year after we adopted Oliver he started tail chasing and chewing on his tail. We discussed putting him on behavior medication at that point.

However, we ended up adopting Stark around that time. Stark and Oliver actually get along quite well (or at least they did!). They don't groom or sleep together, but they played often and very appropriately. After we added Stark, Oliver's anxiety improved to the point the tail chasing stopped completely. I know adding a new cat when there is existing anxiety rarely goes well, but with Oliver it was like a miracle overnight. He seemed more relaxed and happier, so we no longer felt medication was needed.

This week everything has just imploded. Over the past two weeks I had noticed Oliver was starting to have more conflicts with Thor. I monitored them more, stepped up enrichment, and made sure I fed them near each other. Things seemed to settle back down quickly. Two nights ago Oliver saw something in the backyard and had a terrible bout of misdirected aggression focused on Thor. Please keep in mind that prior to this point, Oliver has never had misdirected aggression. He's seen animals, including other cats, in the yard dozens of times without a response like this. He violently attacked Thor and it took me several tries to separate them. I had Oliver in a scruff hold and was carrying him to the bathroom to shut him away to calm down. Oliver was scream-growling like really angry cats typically do. Stark, who was not involved in the initial fight, proceeded to repeatedly leap into the air and try to bite Oliver while I was carrying him. Stark has always reacted strongly when the other cats vocalize, but normally he just comes running to check on them. He has never reacted aggressively before. When I tried to push Stark back so I could lock Oliver in the bathroom, Stark came at me. This is a cat who I NEVER would have expected to lash out aggressively.

I finally got them all separated and let them calm down until the next day. I carefully allowed Stark and Thor out together and they did fine. I am even more carefully allowed Oliver out. Initially just with Stark, and when that went well after another day I allowed him out with Thor. I was somewhat surprised that it went okay. Everybody seems fine together throughout the day- the three even sat in a little row right up against each other without any conflict.

The problem is happening at night. Oliver is still clearly seeming something outside- he becomes hyper focused out the window and will start racing between windows. I hadn't actually witnessed the start of the first fight, so I didn't realize that it was a bout of redirected aggression (vs. just regular old aggression). When he started that behavior on the second night I realized what was happening and was able to separate him before it escalated. I can't block off all the windows in the house, but I have been separating Oliver upstairs and blocking his access to windows as soon as night falls. That seems to have stopped the redirected aggression portion of this issue, at least for now. I have also ordered an ultrasonic device for the yard to hopefully drive away whatever critter is out there.

My main concern right now is that at night Oliver and Stark are starting to get into fights and Stark is the one starting them. If Stark is in the cat tree and Oliver gets too close, he'll attack him. If they are in bed and Oliver for some reason gets down off the bed in the night, Stark will jump him. These aren't terrible fights, meaning they aren't the horrible, fixated type of thing you see with redirected aggression, but they definitely aren't playing either.

I really, really want to nip this in the bud quickly before it gets worse and ruins the relationship between them. They did so well together previously and the relationship helped Oliver so much; I really don't want to lose that. I've ordered more Feliway dispensers, though it will take time to get them because of the slow mail. I've been giving them treats near each other and feeding them together. I try to watch closely and intervene if a conflict might be about to start. I've been clicker treating them whenever I catch one of them voluntarily getting close to the other without attacking

What else can I do to try to get them back on track? I'm considering revisiting putting Oliver on medication, though at this point he's not really the one starting the fights. Still, I worry that the redirected aggression happened because he's been more anxious then usual, as evidenced by his uptick in fighting with Thor. Should I separate them completely until the Feliway arrives? Should I use something like a shaker can with pennies when they do get into fights? I'm a little worried that might make Oliver more anxious, but maybe it would also be enough incentive to not fight in the first place. Or would it maybe make them both associate each other with something unpleasant? Should I not allow them to play at this point? They played together today normally for a bit, though it eventually started to get out of hand and I made them stop. Why is Stark only attacking Oliver for getting too close to him at night? It's just odd that they can be close without conflict during the day. I know the initial fight happened at night, but I didn't think cats associating *time* quite that strongly.

Seriously, ANY advice would be appreciated. I felt like we had a good balance before and I know that aggression, especially redirected aggression, can quickly keep escalating and become a huge ordeal. I will be heartbroken if Stark and Oliver lose their friendship.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You seem to know your way around cats and understand this issue. It is just that some cats are prone to this, and if the stressor is not going away, the problem won't go away. It is getting warm where I am, and I assume where you are too -- so the visitors will be back. So I really don't know what else to tell ya, beyond what you have already figured out and are trying. I don't know anything about the ultrasound you have purchased. I've heard some people talk about motion activated sprinklers.

To the extent you have removed the stressor and they are still having problems, a reintroduction process is the usual remedy. I think you mentioned you've done that, although maybe you could do a lengthier more formal process if it proves necessary.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry though for the situation that brought you here.

Typically in cases of re-directed aggression, separating the cats and trying a re-introduction is the best approach. Sometimes it takes more than a couple days for things to settle down, but in most cases the cats do revert back to how it was before the incident that stressed them.

TCS has the following article that might have some tips for you.
Re-directed Aggression In Cats

Good luck. Please keep us posted.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please forgive the length of this. I could really, REALLY use some advice. There are three cats in this saga. Oliver is high strung, anxious, easily over stimulated, and has previously had issues with tail chasing and self-mutilation. Thor is a placid, easy going guy. Stark is extremely well socialized, loves everyone, and at the shelter was very cat social (he broke out of his cage to cuddle with the kitten next door.)

We had Thor first, then adopted Oliver. After a very slow introduction and careful redirection, they were able to coexist fairly well. They would have occasional fights, but nothing extreme or unmanageable and mostly just ignored each other. About a year after we adopted Oliver he started tail chasing and chewing on his tail. We discussed putting him on behavior medication at that point.

However, we ended up adopting Stark around that time. Stark and Oliver actually get along quite well (or at least they did!). They don't groom or sleep together, but they played often and very appropriately. After we added Stark, Oliver's anxiety improved to the point the tail chasing stopped completely. I know adding a new cat when there is existing anxiety rarely goes well, but with Oliver it was like a miracle overnight. He seemed more relaxed and happier, so we no longer felt medication was needed.

This week everything has just imploded. Over the past two weeks I had noticed Oliver was starting to have more conflicts with Thor. I monitored them more, stepped up enrichment, and made sure I fed them near each other. Things seemed to settle back down quickly. Two nights ago Oliver saw something in the backyard and had a terrible bout of misdirected aggression focused on Thor. Please keep in mind that prior to this point, Oliver has never had misdirected aggression. He's seen animals, including other cats, in the yard dozens of times without a response like this. He violently attacked Thor and it took me several tries to separate them. I had Oliver in a scruff hold and was carrying him to the bathroom to shut him away to calm down. Oliver was scream-growling like really angry cats typically do. Stark, who was not involved in the initial fight, proceeded to repeatedly leap into the air and try to bite Oliver while I was carrying him. Stark has always reacted strongly when the other cats vocalize, but normally he just comes running to check on them. He has never reacted aggressively before. When I tried to push Stark back so I could lock Oliver in the bathroom, Stark came at me. This is a cat who I NEVER would have expected to lash out aggressively.

I finally got them all separated and let them calm down until the next day. I carefully allowed Stark and Thor out together and they did fine. I am even more carefully allowed Oliver out. Initially just with Stark, and when that went well after another day I allowed him out with Thor. I was somewhat surprised that it went okay. Everybody seems fine together throughout the day- the three even sat in a little row right up against each other without any conflict.

The problem is happening at night. Oliver is still clearly seeming something outside- he becomes hyper focused out the window and will start racing between windows. I hadn't actually witnessed the start of the first fight, so I didn't realize that it was a bout of redirected aggression (vs. just regular old aggression). When he started that behavior on the second night I realized what was happening and was able to separate him before it escalated. I can't block off all the windows in the house, but I have been separating Oliver upstairs and blocking his access to windows as soon as night falls. That seems to have stopped the redirected aggression portion of this issue, at least for now. I have also ordered an ultrasonic device for the yard to hopefully drive away whatever critter is out there.

My main concern right now is that at night Oliver and Stark are starting to get into fights and Stark is the one starting them. If Stark is in the cat tree and Oliver gets too close, he'll attack him. If they are in bed and Oliver for some reason gets down off the bed in the night, Stark will jump him. These aren't terrible fights, meaning they aren't the horrible, fixated type of thing you see with redirected aggression, but they definitely aren't playing either.

I really, really want to nip this in the bud quickly before it gets worse and ruins the relationship between them. They did so well together previously and the relationship helped Oliver so much; I really don't want to lose that. I've ordered more Feliway dispensers, though it will take time to get them because of the slow mail. I've been giving them treats near each other and feeding them together. I try to watch closely and intervene if a conflict might be about to start. I've been clicker treating them whenever I catch one of them voluntarily getting close to the other without attacking

What else can I do to try to get them back on track? I'm considering revisiting putting Oliver on medication, though at this point he's not really the one starting the fights. Still, I worry that the redirected aggression happened because he's been more anxious then usual, as evidenced by his uptick in fighting with Thor. Should I separate them completely until the Feliway arrives? Should I use something like a shaker can with pennies when they do get into fights? I'm a little worried that might make Oliver more anxious, but maybe it would also be enough incentive to not fight in the first place. Or would it maybe make them both associate each other with something unpleasant? Should I not allow them to play at this point? They played together today normally for a bit, though it eventually started to get out of hand and I made them stop. Why is Stark only attacking Oliver for getting too close to him at night? It's just odd that they can be close without conflict during the day. I know the initial fight happened at night, but I didn't think cats associating *time* quite that strongly.

Seriously, ANY advice would be appreciated. I felt like we had a good balance before and I know that aggression, especially redirected aggression, can quickly keep escalating and become a huge ordeal. I will be heartbroken if Stark and Oliver lose their friendship.
Motion activated sprinklers as Art NJ mentions, Motion Activated Air Spray bottles, as you mention the ultrasonic can all be good deterrents.

Really step up play especially in areas where they are having issues. After play feed treats or a meal. Also, is it possible to add another cat tree? Keep feeding them together (as you are doing) to make positive associations. Work on making every encounter as positive (as you are doing) as possible distracting with calm, confident words, a toy, food when needed. Avoiding a negative is a positive. Try to stay as calm and confident around them as cats take on our emotions. I am guessing Stark is picking up on Oliver's stress and that is just escalating it.

Really step up play with Stark.

"Should I not allow them to play at this point? They played together today normally for a bit, though it eventually started to get out of hand and I made them stop. " - No, play with them but try to keep it positive. If you have to play separately that is fine. You did a good job ending it when ti may get out of control. Then reassure them that it is ok. Just de-escalate the situation. And reassure them. Turn it into a positive.

"Why is Stark only attacking Oliver for getting too close to him at night? It's just odd that they can be close without conflict during the day." - It could be that Oliver starts to get stressed when it is dark and the animals might be coming. Stark picks up on it and it escalates. I am not really surprised.

PLEASE don't get ahead of yourself. I don't think their friendship is at risk. We'll do everything we can to make sure of that. But please be calm, confident and loving around them. Cats take on our emotions so it is important to try your best.

Things like this do happen but almost always they are resolved successfully. You are doing all the right things. We'll figure it out.Hang in there and keep us updated.

Last edited:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So something outside is stressing Oliver, and Stark is now feeling Oliver is stressed and reacts towards him, hence why he attacks him. It's not a great situation to be in, but quite "normal" reactive behavior.
I think you've done a great job so far at keeping the peace. And it might just take time for Stark to not be "afraid" of Oliver anymore. But as Oliver calms down, things should get better. Has there been any more blow ups like the initial one? Or is it just Stark trying to keep Oliver away from him?
Is everyone peeing, pooping and eating properly/normally?
Not sure if this is something you would be willing to do, but when my cat was experiencing redirected aggression we put "frosted" vinyl sticker panels on the lower 2 foot portions of the large "ground level" window in our home (the patio door in our case). Hank was fine looking out the widow IF it wasn't just a wide open space or if he was on a cat tree or partially hidden. But with the patio doors, they were just big and open and he didn't have a "secure vantage point". So perhaps "frosting" the windows that he seems sketchy about might help.
Have you noticed that Oliver always seems to be more sketchy in the spring and summer months? It could be that he has always been stressed by outsiders but has simply reacted differently this time.
Keeping intruders away, as difficult as it is, will be (I think) what will help your situation the most in this short term. But as others have mentioned. Working with Oliver to feel more secure will keep things moving forward. So LOTS of positive reinforcement and perhaps add more cat stuff that increases confidence, essentially lots of high up places for him to hang out. And try to figure out where he feels the most secure in the house and make it comfy for him so if he does feel overwhelmed he has a "safe space" to go to.