Anxiety - Medical Marijuana For Pets?

drmroth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I’m feeling very guilty...

I rescued Dusty 2.5 years ago when he was 8 weeks old and one day when I was playing with him he had a bad fall and hit his head. I’m wondering, can that fall be the reason why he gets scared of every noise that it causes him to literally jump? Is it my fault that he runs and hides under the bed when people come to visit? Why is he so sensitive and how can I help him relax and not be such a scaredy-cat?

I really want to help him because I’m sure it’s not a good feeling being anxious all the time. I’d like to try and help him but I don’t know what to do. Has anyone had any success using medication to help their kitty? What about medical marijuana for cats?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats are just scared of strangers and noises. There's nothing wrong with them. It's just how they react to their environment. You can try using a Feliway diffuser to help calm your cat.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can also give him chamomile tea. Brew a cup, chill it, and administer 1-3 tsp up to 3 times a day, via syringe. Now, you want to use a commercial tea (grocery store, coffee aisle), as the English chamomile plant is toxic to cats, while the German variety (used in commerical teas) is not. It is gently calming, and far milder than either medical marijuana or any prescriptions available. Certainly worth a try, considering how low the cost for a box of tea bags is!

Other than that, I would suggest enlisting the help of a few calm, quiet friends. Ask them to come over as often as possible, and just sit and talk quietly. Over time, your shy boy should begin to feel more confident.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Valerian is also a very effective anti-anxiety herb, which can be found in numerous 'cat-calming' treatments and preparations. I give my cat, Dudley, treats that contain valerian daily, as he struggles with moodiness and gloom. Poor wee mite. :alright: They help enormously. :hugs:

I would not advise you to give your cat human medical marijuana. However, cat "marijuana" doesn't actually contain any THC (the active compound in human medical marijuana) as it is made from hemp and not marijuana. I don't know much about it other than that.

Diazepam (Valium) and Fluoxetine (Prozac) are veterinary prescribed anti-anxiety medicines but I'd look at other options, like Feliway, chamomile, and valerian, first.

And I like Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 's suggestion of inviting cat-calming-chums to visit. :grouphug:

Also, try not to blame yourself or stress out about his head-banging incident. Cats can pick up on human emotions. I constantly feel responsible for Dudley's depression but I try not to show it or treat him differently from Parker, Dudley's happy-go-lucky friend. :jive:

Please keep us updated on his progress, we're all here for you both. :vibes::heartshape:

What's his name, by the way? :hellocat: And, which one of your two beauties is he? :greenpaw::bluepaw:

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
CBD oil for cats, which has no TCH (cat toxin) is readily available. However, I have been giving it to my cat for over a month with very little to show for it, honestly.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be careful with labeling animals with human-made terms such as "anxiety." I think your cat's behaviour is normal for a cat... he doesn't need any medication or herbal treatments.

Kefa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with Neo. He is still young and Homer is still quite jumpy about many things.

I recently read something though about catnip. Homer uses catnip two ways, he snorts it, and he eats it. I was curious about the eating part, and I read that when they eat it, it can be calming. So, he snorts some, eats some, plays for awhile furiously, then passes out. I was dousing his toys in catnip, but then he licked them, which I thought wasn't a good idea because he could be getting weird fibers in his stomach. So I just give him a bit of loose catnip.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
:yeah:

I used to leave a bowl of powdered catnip down at all times for Brian to self-regulate from. He'd eat some usually when he was getting het up about it not being tea-time, then wander off into the living room to chill out and forget about his empty tummy woes. It's very good for all digestive health issues too. In fact, it's really useful for all kinds of stuff - I recommend your doing further research. :read:

Dudley (and Parker), unfortunately, doesn't react to catnip and so won't eat or sniff any. But not to worry, as valerian is seriously wondrous for that feline feel-good factor as well. And it tastes super scrumptious apparently too, although it smells like stinky feet - mmmmm, yum, stinky feet. o_O

:cloud9:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hekitty could care less about dried catnip, but does enjoy the fresh catnip that I grow in pots for her.

DelilahKate

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was anxious to the point that she licked off every bit of fur she could reach. The vet prescribed Elavil which we administered transdermally each night. Within a few months all her fur was back and she was a happy kitty.