Anxiety? Depressed? Scared? Help my cat!

mtbee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Spoo literally lives on the kitchen counter. There are 3 others in the house. Her sister, the Tiger and a non related B&W. I thought Spoo and the B&W were not getting along, he would chase her under the stairs and such but really, he just wants to play and she does not "get it".

Lately I have seen the Tiger swat at her, she hisses and they move on. Last night there was some really great cat screaming going on in the kitchen. When I arrived to see what was going on Spoo's hair was at full scared edge and the Tiger was as well. He took off into the dining room.

Spoo was so scared she pooped on the floor. I picked her up to calm her down, make her feel ok and she threw up. It was so sad to see this happening to her.

4 cats, I have two industrial size litter boxes. Unsented litter, I literally clean the "can" as I call it 6X er day, none of them ever use it soiled by another. However, Spoo has peed on the burner on the stove before. She has peed on one of the other cats bed. She has even pooped under the stairs (she lived under the stairs for a couple months, now she has moved to the kitchen cabinet).

I have taken her to the vet before because she has blood in her stool. Vet said nothing to worry about. It's the food??? It is still happening. Ruled out UTI too. I feel so sorry for her. She is coming on 5, I have had her since a baby 5 weeks old. Nothing new is going on in the house. Tiger is 3 years old, a baby upon arrival as well.

What can I do to help her? I would not say I am at my wits end because I am not. I just want her to be ok. I bet there is so many people out there that would give up their cats for this reason. I will go as long as he haul will go with Spoo. I love her and her happiness is important to me.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you tried Feliway to help everyone calm down a little? I have minimal experience with it myself, but there are others here who swear by it.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like anxiety for sure, poor doll. I also suggest the Feliway, really for any multicat household. I use it myself and swear by it. I do know of cats who are literally on "anti anxiety meds" as well, and as a last resort, if they help, they help. I would talk to the vet. Good luck hun.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would consult another vet for a second opinion. Since when is blood in stool normal? Often when one kitty is ill they are targeted and bullied. In the wild this bans the week from the pack.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mtbee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do need a second opinion so I will find another vet willing to take her as a patient.

If at all possible I want to keep her off any anxiety pills only due to side effects, if any. Question on feliway. I did use it, for about 2 minutes. The plug got really hot, is this normal? And, since it is spring/summertime now I open the windows in the house. Would It matter with feliway or will is be going on the window?

Thanks for you help. I feel sad for Spookahontas!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree with second opinion on the stool check. Maybe some blood work too. Rescue Remedy in the general water bowl can help or given individually in their wet food, or even rubbed on their little faces.

It does sound like Spook has severe anxiety issues, obviously an internal "wiring" problem, since her entire history is with you. If it comes down to medication, my choice would be amitriptyline. You can ask the vet about it. The new vet, I mean since the attending vet does not seem interested in helping you solve Spook's problem.

Feliway can be used, but as you say with the windows open, it won't be very effective. The plug in does get warm, because that is what makes the liquid disperse.

Keep us posted on Spook, the poor girl!