Anxiety after I came back from a week long vacation

Treecie

New cat mom to Trudy
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, my Trudy has been acting very anxious since I came back from Oregon last week. She has gradually been coming out more frequently and staying out with me and my husband in the living room longer and usually comes and sleeps with us at night. But during the day, she is still acting afraid or anxious or something and will hide in her hiding space for a while. Last night, I sprayed some calming spray and it felt like everything was finally back to normal: no acting skittish when somebody moved, etc. but this morning when I fed her like usual, I went to clean the litter and she suddenly stopped eating and actually bolted towards the hiding space which has never happened before since I came back from the vacation. The only difference that may be causing this worsening of anxiety is that I switched the handsoap in the kitchen because it ran out yesterday...maybe she doesn't recognize my scent on my hands? Does anybody have any experience with this and have any tips or advice? Thanks a ton!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If you had someone coming in to care for her then she is probably reacting to that. It is unnerving for a cat to have someone in their space and have the change in routine that comes when they caregiver is gone. It will probably blow over when she gets more comfortable that you are really back.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I imagine you haven't had Trudy very long, so that she hadn't had time to settle down properly before you went away. One week without you, is a very long time for a new cat, particularly for one who had only just started joining you in the living room. Now it is back to square one and the only solution is patience, Perhaps, while you were away, things were quieter and now sounds such as music, television, doors opening and closing, even footsteps will be enough to frighten her again.

I don't think that the new soap will have affected her behaviour and, unless something dreadful happened while you were away, I am fairly certain that after a few days she will be more relaxed. My scaredy cats have never turned into brave and fearless characters and when I returned after a period of absence, they would regard me with suspicion. However, last year I was away for 4 weeks (hospital) and they were very excited when I eventually returned home. It will take time for Trudy to feel secure but the longer you are together the easier it will be for her to accept your comings and goings.

Patience and good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Treecie

New cat mom to Trudy
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had her since September and she and I bonded quickly but yeah, maybe it will take time for her to adjust because we did move 2 months ago to a new place and she adjusted in about 2 weeks but I guess me going away might have caused her to be suspicious. Thank you for your response!

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you considered, she may have a health problem? If she continues to run away from her food, she may be in pain with toothache. One of my cats who had severe dental problems, started avoiding me because I was giving her food which hurt her! After treatment she has few teeth left but we are now the best of friends.

Treecie

New cat mom to Trudy
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you considered, she may have a health problem? If she continues to run away from her food, she may be in pain with toothache. One of my cats who had severe dental problems, started avoiding me because I was giving her food which hurt her! After treatment she has few teeth left but we are now the best of friends.
I dont think so...this is the first time she has done this and actually she just came out and ate again. She was eating just fine until she looked up and saw me get the poop bag and she for some reason bolted. I appreciate your response though and I do plan on brushing her teeth daily just haven't gotten the courage to do it just yet...

Treecie

New cat mom to Trudy
Young Cat
Purraise
If you had someone coming in to care for her then she is probably reacting to that. It is unnerving for a cat to have someone in their space and have the change in routine that comes when they caregiver is gone. It will probably blow over when she gets more comfortable that you are really back.
She was fed one day by my friends and then my husband came back and was there rest of the week who she knows and is comfortable with. I think she just needs time and I am more anxious lol

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not asking you to brush her teeth! I have never managed to do that. My cat had a disease where the teeth rotted from the roots. She was trapped as a young pregnant feral. But, she was more likely to have been a stray who'd joined a feral colony to get fed. Her kittens died within a few days of their birth and soon after she had dental problems. There is no way I could clean her remaining teeth, I cannot even pick her up and hold her. Though she does like to sit against my back!