Anxiety About Getting The Kitty Neutered

Britney91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Soon our kitty is getting neutered. He’ll be about 7 months then. I can’t be calm about things like this. I also think I might have an anxiety problem in general, which might explain a lot.

I just want to get it over with. I am scared about complications during the asteasia (I am dutch, I can’t spell the word well, I am sorry. I spelled it so badly google didn’t even know what I meant haha)

The kitty seems to be in perfect health. Very strong and active. Didn’t cry at all when he got the chip when he was still extremely small. When I think he hurt himself by being to wild during playtime he seems fine. A strong little man. My boyfriend is financially responsible for him. I am for the other one that I had already with me before we got together. He decided not to do the extra bloodwork beforehand. It costs 100 bucks here. I would if I had a choice, but it seems a little unneccesary in general.

I guess I am here for some support. I guess hardly ever anything happens with these procedures, but there is always a chance. I hate that we have to put him in this situation. I dread leaving him behind at the vet, he has no clue whats going on and doesnt know we’ll be back again the same day. I cant explain that to him.

He really does have to get neutered. He gets aggressive towards my girl who has urinary stress related problems and really needs a stress free environment. She screams and runs but the kitten is already bigger than her and pins her down. Kitten also often attacks my legs or arms, it can really hurt. I am always scared that I will someday have a reflex to his attacks that will accidentally hurt him or something!

Thanks in advance. I like this forum. The people are so kind and supportive.

Pixxelated

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Neutering boys is generally a minor procedure. It generally leaves only a tiny wound that doesn’t even require stitches. Most cats bounce back from it within the day. Of course anaesthesia always poses a risk, and everyone can have a bad reaction - but just like it is with humans, it very much depends on the individual. If he has had a clean bill of health and if the vet is not too worried, then honestly it should be fine. Having bloods done is always a good idea, just to see if there are any major red flags. But again, if your vet is not showing any concerns it should be fine. I don't know how it is where you're from, but in my area vets are generally pretty good with this sort of stuff.

He might be a bit groggy or grump when you get him back, but most vets will keep him around for a couple of hours after the procedure to watch him when he comes round.

I've recently had my little boy neutered, and he was absolutely fine. Despite him very much being a special needs kitty due to neurological damage. We talked at length with the vet and discussed a variety of different options, had a full medical etc... and in the end, it was fine. Best thing to do is to contact your vet ask them questions regarding neutering and how they operate, chances are you will feel a lot better afterwards.

Our little boy was bounding up and down the hallway only a few hours after coming home, he didn't even notice he was missing anything, haha.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Britney91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Neutering boys is generally a minor procedure. It generally leaves only a tiny wound that doesn’t even require stitches. Most cats bounce back from it within the day. Of course anaesthesia always poses a risk, and everyone can have a bad reaction - but just like it is with humans, it very much depends on the individual. If he has had a clean bill of health and if the vet is not too worried, then honestly it should be fine. Having bloods done is always a good idea, just to see if there are any major red flags. But again, if your vet is not showing any concerns it should be fine. I don't know how it is where you're from, but in my area vets are generally pretty good with this sort of stuff.

He might be a bit groggy or grump when you get him back, but most vets will keep him around for a couple of hours after the procedure to watch him when he comes round.

I've recently had my little boy neutered, and he was absolutely fine. Despite him very much being a special needs kitty due to neurological damage. We talked at length with the vet and discussed a variety of different options, had a full medical etc... and in the end, it was fine. Best thing to do is to contact your vet ask them questions regarding neutering and how they operate, chances are you will feel a lot better afterwards.

Our little boy was bounding up and down the hallway only a few hours after coming home, he didn't even notice he was missing anything, haha.
Thank you very much for the reply. I would like to check the blood because I am extra careful with everything, but there havent been any signs that we should do it. I will discuss it again with my partner. Kind of silly that they make it so expensive and not standard, maybe because it isnt always necessary..

I am happy when that day has passed.. i have never done this before so that also might explain why i am so nervous. If the procedure is small, that probably means that he wont even be under anaesthesia long. I hope. Im probably thinking about it too much.

Im glad your boy is doing fine and that it went well!!

Pixxelated

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I asked my vet how long the actual operation would take, and he said it usually is somewhere between 10 to 15 minutes maximum. In our case Jamie even came round within half an hour after the procedure had been completed, but this is because they had used a lower dose to put him under than usually is the case. I think he might have been asleep for about maybe an hour tops.

The recovery period does depend from cat to cat though, some cats take longer to come round... some cats are proper grumpy when they wake up. But like I said if your boy is strong and healthy, should be ok. You can always request the vet do a quick physical examination prior to his operation, with you present - just to check everything is ok.

I can definitely understand the stress you feel associated with neutering them, it's always a bit risky. But just remember, statistically speaking more routine operations like this pass without incident, than with something horrifically going wrong. It's just that when it does go wrong, you hear about it. Whereas otherwise you wouldn't as quickly. :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had MANY boys neutered, and not one complication. They always bounce back within hours and act like nothing has happened. I've never used a cone or any restraining device either. He may seem a little groggy. so watch stairs, etc. so he doesn't fall.
Aggression like you are stating may be due more to his lack of knowing limits, but would definitely be helped by removing the hormones which may take up to thirty days to leave the body. When your little girl runs, she turns into 'prey' and excites him. Have her stay put and yell NO very loudly, if she could carry a can full of pennies or something else that would make a lot of noise that would help. Get a kickeroo on Amazon or a pet center, they are a long catnip filled toy that cats absolutely love and are distracted by, have her throw one to him when he stalks her. Refresh it once in awhile by 'steeping' it in a bag full of catnip, or get two, so one is always ready. He will calm down with age, but don't let him get away with hurting you, just like children they need to know their limits. As a last resort, hold him down by the skin on the back of his neck and tell him NO very loudly, ( or a loud hiss is even better, if noone else is there to hear! :) )it is what mama cats do to teach discipline. All the luck and keep us posted!

Britney91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks for all the advice and support! I guess it will all be fine. My boyfriend said that if I think that getting the blood checked is so important, that I should pay for it. Is it worth doing? If it was my own adopted cat I would have done it. He is financially responsible for that kitten, but if it's about the cats safety and getting risks out of the way, I will pay.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just had a boy and a girl (5 and 6 months old) done yesterday, and they're entirely fine today. . .so fine that I worry about the girl popping her stitches or hurting herself the way she's rocketing around. But if I put her in the carrier she freaks out and is even more likely to hurt herself. Hmph.

Anyway, yeah, for boys it's a very simple procedure and the chance of complications is very very VERY low. I mean, it never hurts to get a baseline blood test but I'm sure he'll be fine without it. Try not to worry!

Britney91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just had a boy and a girl (5 and 6 months old) done yesterday, and they're entirely fine today. . .so fine that I worry about the girl popping her stitches or hurting herself the way she's rocketing around. But if I put her in the carrier she freaks out and is even more likely to hurt herself. Hmph.

Anyway, yeah, for boys it's a very simple procedure and the chance of complications is very very VERY low. I mean, it never hurts to get a baseline blood test but I'm sure he'll be fine without it. Try not to worry!
Im glad it all worked out fine for your cats! It will probably all be fine and its no big deal, but i guess i will pay for the bloodtest because it just makes me feel a little more at ease and its always useful! I guess after i have my first experience with this, that i wont be so worried next time i will have to do it again someday! Thank you for the advice and support

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
A blood test hurts nothing and gives you some peace of mind. As so often in so many situations cat guardians need to understand that their anxiety over a S/N or any procedure is normal. It's called love. We love them and take their well being seriously.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would do the blood work and check for a heart murmur. He will be fine!

Is your girl spayed already?

Britney91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A blood test hurts nothing and gives you some peace of mind. As so often in so many situations cat guardians need to understand that their anxiety over a S/N or any procedure is normal. It's called love. We love them and take their well being seriously.
Its true. I will do the bloodtest. Haha that is true. I love them so much. Thank you for the reply!

Britney91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would do the blood work and check for a heart murmur. He will be fine!

Is your girl spayed already?
I will. Thank you! And yes, she got spayed in the past at the shelter before I got her