Ants On Cats Urine

purpleunicornic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My older (about 2y old) cat urinated in my room at night (?) I woke up at like 4 in the morning to see these black ants everywhere. Usually she urinates in sand at my backyard so I don't pay much attention.

She's a little overweight and has a big appetite. Also, she drinks more than usual I think. But she's very active and playful.

Should I take her to a vet, or try to control her diet first and see if it works?

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I would take her to the vet! They could just be after the water content, but ants are attracted to sugar. It may be that your kitty’s blood glucose is high. When that happens, the kidneys try to flush the glucose out in the urine. It could be an indicator of diabetes. Overweight and drinking a lot makes me think of that, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purpleunicornic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would take her to the vet! They could just be after the water content, but ants are attracted to sugar. It may be that your kitty’s blood glucose is high. When that happens, the kidneys try to flush the glucose out in the urine. It could be an indicator of diabetes. Overweight and drinking a lot makes me think of that, too.
I was hoping it wouldn't be too serious, but I guess diabetes is serious enough. I will get her checked asap. Thank you.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Fingers crossed that she’s okay and you just have an ant problem! There are several threads on here about dealing with ant infestations. You might want read through those. The little critters can be hard to get rid of in a cat-safe way! Do you know how to search the site?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tell the vet about the ants. Some are attracted to protein, the ones we had went for the tuna not the honey.