Ants and dry cat food

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
I use vinegar and water and spray the thresholds and that seems to really slow down the ants. I also bought some orange oil spray that isn't toxic to people or animals and sprayed the doorways, stopped em. have to repeat it every few weeks however.

I am going to try the cinnamon thing next too. Thanks MA.

kitkat81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry to bring up a old thread guys. I just noticed today that there were lots of ants on our cats food dish. We have never had ants before. There was nothing on he dish earlier today. She wouldnt get sick if she was to have eaten food that had ants would she?

goonie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i sprinkle  diatomaceous earth around the foodbowl. it works great for the strays i feed in an office parking lot.

make sure you get the food grade kind. 2 lbs from amazon are less  than $20 and it lasts forever and is safe for the cats

kitkat81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. She wouldnt get sick though if she might have had some food today with ants on it?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can also put the food dish inside another dish bigger that it is, and fill it with water.

They are unable to swim so they climb in but can't get back out and into the food dish.

kitkat81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have heard that borax mixed with sugar is also good at getting rid of them. I might just buy some ant bait stations in the morning.

I just want to know if she ate any if she would get sick?? Im assuming not as she has eaten flys before,lol

david's steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

You can also put the food dish inside another dish bigger that it is, and fill it with water.

They are unable to swim so they climb in but can't get back out and into the food dish.
this is what I have to do, every year come spring time.  It works like a charm, and no chemicals.  I use a "jelly roll pan", one of those cookie sheets with a raised rim around it.  Fill with just enough water in the bottom to completely cover the bottom, then place the 2 foodbowls (wet food or dry food) in there.  Kitties are happy with ant-free food.  You do have to change it at least once daily, as the water gets icky from their little mouths dropping some food in lol...

zozzles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The next time you buy dry cat food, also buy some relatively heavy duty baggies (or other brand), gallon size right away.. Transfer the food into the bags & store them in your freezer. The only problem would be if you have a freezer in your refrigerator that doesn't have much space left, but bagging the food you are using daily (or whenever) makes certain that even when there isn't a proper seal, no ants will get in. In that case, still put all of your extra dry food in baggies and be careful THEN  to make sure that the seal is properly "snapped" & find a stable storage place for them. For what it is worth, the frozen dry cat food stays remarkably fresh for a very long time.

ksmit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I tried the moat idea while I was going out of town for the weekend. When I came home, the colony of ants had formed a bridge, out of themselves, across the water and there was a trail of ants carrying the cat food across the bridge!! This was probably one of the most interesting things I had ever seen. Probably took them hours to make, would have been awesome to see the whole process! LOL

spiritflower

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I used HOMEDEFENCE bug spray to get rid of whatever has more than 4 legs..............spray along all baseboards let dry  I promise your ant problem is gone and it says on the bottom its ok  around pets after it drys

iheartbillyjoel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anybody have suggestions I feed stray cats and after I leave the plate out for a half hour I come back outside and it's crawling with and I looked up up the safety of cat eating and sand found its seemingly okay but I just feel bad that the Stray Cats have to have dirty food any suggestions?

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does anybody have suggestions I feed stray cats and after I leave the plate out for a half hour I come back outside and it's crawling with and I looked up up the safety of cat eating and sand found its seemingly okay but I just feel bad that the Stray Cats have to have dirty food any suggestions?

Get a large baking pan (the throw away tin ones are fine) fill it with water. Put bricks laying down in the water (make sure the bricks are only half way with water) and set food and water bowls on the bricks. Ants can not get to the food as they will drown in the water. I did this when my cat was a outdoor cat.

Last edited: