Antihistamines for a feral - safe?

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Every time this year, KittyKat starts sneezing. Wondering if it would be safe to give her a little bit of antihistamine to see if this would help? I also think she may be a bit asthmatic, so happy she has a heating pad now!!!

If so, how much to try? what brand? thx obviously, slow as we go.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Benadryl is approved by veterinarians to give to cats.

The recommended dose is 1 mg. per 1 lb. of the cat’s weight.

Two doses are permitted every 24 hrs. at a minimum of 12 hrs. apart.

You can use generic Benadryl (AKA: Diphenhydramine) but be sure to read the ingredients listed on the label to be sure that you are getting plain, old, ordinary Benadryl with no other ingredients like fever reducers or decongestants.

Benadryl usually comes in 25 mg. tablets.

Your average cat generally weighs in at 10 to 12 lb.

Therefore, a 12 lb. cat should get half a tablet of Benadryl every 8 to 12 hrs.

It’s always best to start with a lower dose then see how the cat responds.
Some cats don’t tolerate Benadryl well and, if you’ve never given it before, you need to watch.

The first time you give Benadryl, only use 1/4 of a tablet. If that works, leave well enough alone. If you think the cat needs another, you can give 1/4 more but no more.

If you have never given Benadryl to your cat before, I recommend you call your vet to get their advice BEFORE you give ANYTHING.

I‘m simply telling you what to expect.

Sean35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would be nervous about giving Diphenhydramine to a cat that has to fend for itself outdoors. Keep in mind this stuff is also marketed as a sleep aid.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I am wondering if anyone has ever tried giving a cat "nondrowsy" antihistamines? Like Claritin?

And.... the information is much appreciated!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, Claritin and Zyrtec (and the generics) work quite well for kitties. My vet says they don't respond as well to Benedryl. I know they're usually given half a tablet. . .let me find a more precise dosage guide.

Ok this one looks good. Antihistamine dosage is about halfway down the page. PO means by mouth.
Feline Dermatology: Cats Are Not Small Dogs | Today's Veterinary Practice

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be nervous about giving Diphenhydramine to a cat that has to fend for itself outdoors.
You're right. If the cat will be in a situation where drowsiness could pose a risk, better not to give it. (The same goes for humans, too!)

However, Diphenhydramine is approved by veterinarians for use in cats.

As I said, some cats might not respond well to Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) and you need to monitor them until you are satisfied that they'll be okay.

Also, start with a lower dose and work up. That way you can monitor for negative effects more easily.

I am wondering if anyone has ever tried giving a cat "nondrowsy" antihistamines? Like Claritin?
Yes, I have heard of this but I don't know the specifics. I have only used Benadryl, not the others.

My advice, whether you plan on Benadryl, Claritin or anything else, is to call a vet first.

I might have had decades of experience, giving Benadryl to dogs and cats but veterinarians have decades of TRAINING, specifically on this subject.

Your vet is your best resource. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I don't (or I should say...) KittyKat doesn't have a vet. She came with the house when we bought it in 2011. She's been fixed, so presumably shots, etc. But... since I don't keep her inside... and not sure I need a vet for this anyway? Don't know much about ferals, I do admit. Did have domestics for many years, however, different ball game (cat game...). for a feral.