Antibiotics making cat stool soft

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got probiotics but my cat is still having mushy stool. She is on antibiotics called cephalexin
What can I do. This is annoying because she's pooping on the carpet.

What can I do??

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I noticed they mentioned L . acidophilus probiotic.
What is this and what brand?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know what probiotic you are currently using, but if it is not s. boulardii, try that. It is yeast-based and not as affected by antibiotics. Antibiotics can actually nullify the benefits of many probiotics since they are given to kill bacteria - both bad and good.
Jarrow Formulas, Saccharomyces Boulardii + MOS, 5 Billion, 90 Veggie Caps
Saccharomyces Boulardii + MOS 5 Billion CFU | Jarrow Formulas

I've included a link below that discusses dosing - never mind the source, as this information pertains to any cat with diarrhea.
How to Use S boulardii for diarrhea - Raw Feeding for IBD Cats

Last edited:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you giving probiotics and antibiotics separately? (Not at the same time)

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No was I doing it wrong?
Well, that depends on what you were doing! The idea is to keep the probiotic as far away as you can from the antibiotic.

As an example, if you're giving the antibiotic at 1 and 6 o'clock, give the probiotic right in the middle there, at 3 o'clock.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The problem with most probiotics that are impacted by antibiotics, is that while it might aid with producing good bacteria, the antibiotic as long as it is being given, continues to kill the bacteria over and over. Antibiotics are cumulative, meaning it doesn't matter too much about how long of a time frame there is between when you take the antibiotic and the probiotic, the antibiotic is likely going to kill whatever the probiotic produces.

Probiotics that are commonly recommended are the bacteria Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG, or LGG, and the yeast Saccharomyces boulardii. Since the strain S. boulardii is yeast based it is the most ideal one to take during a course of antibiotics since antibiotics kill bacteria and not yeasts.
Best Probiotics to Take with Antibiotics | U.S. News (usnews.com)

Last edited:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Call the vet and let them know your kitty cannot tolerate the medication and ask for something else. Keep giving her the probiotic and add in some slippery elm bark syrup to her wet food. Just bring 1/2 cup of water to a boil. Remove from heat, add 1 teaspoon of slippery elm bark powder (available at health food stores) and whisk together until it's the consistency of a raw egg white. It only takes a minute or 2. Give 1/4 teaspoon of the syrup twice a day with wet food. Store in fridge for up to 7 days. Back off to once a day when stool firms up, then you can stop when stool is consistently firm.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Call the vet and let them know your kitty cannot tolerate the medication and ask for something else. Keep giving her the probiotic and add in some slippery elm bark syrup to her wet food. Just bring 1/2 cup of water to a boil. Remove from heat, add 1 teaspoon of slippery elm bark powder (available at health food stores) and whisk together until it's the consistency of a raw egg white. It only takes a minute or 2. Give 1/4 teaspoon of the syrup twice a day with wet food. Store in fridge for up to 7 days. Back off to once a day when stool firms up, then you can stop when stool is consistently firm.

They change her meds yesterday. But no idea how each antibiotics effects a car.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you recommend a brand that is safe? I don't know what brand is safe for cats.

The problem with most probiotics that are impacted by antibiotics, is that while it might aid with producing good bacteria, the antibiotic as long as it is being given, continues to kill the bacteria over and over. Antibiotics are cumulative, meaning it doesn't matter too much about how long of a time frame there is between when you take the antibiotic and the probiotic, the antibiotic is likely going to kill whatever the probiotic produces.

Probiotics that are commonly recommended are the bacteria Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG, or LGG, and the yeast Saccharomyces boulardii. Since the strain S. boulardii is yeast based it is the most ideal one to take during a course of antibiotics since antibiotics kill bacteria and not yeasts.
Best Probiotics to Take with Antibiotics | U.S. News (usnews.com)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you recommend a brand that is safe? I don't know what brand is safe for cats.
I included a brand and related dosing information in Post #4 above - here it is again.
I don't know what probiotic you are currently using, but if it is not s. boulardii, try that. It is yeast-based and not as affected by antibiotics. Antibiotics can actually nullify the benefits of many probiotics since they are given to kill bacteria - both bad and good.
Jarrow Formulas, Saccharomyces Boulardii + MOS, 5 Billion, 90 Veggie Caps
Saccharomyces Boulardii + MOS 5 Billion CFU | Jarrow Formulas

I've included a link below that discusses dosing - never mind the source, as this information pertains to any cat with diarrhea.
How to Use S boulardii for diarrhea - Raw Feeding for IBD Cats

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How long will it take for probiotics to work?
She's still having runny stool and gas and can never make it to the litter box on time. I had to clean my carpet over and over

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How long will it take for probiotics to work?
She's still having runny stool and gas and can never make it to the litter box on time. I had to clean my carpet over and over

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah I did the emergency one. I was hoping her previous meds will be out of her system. I'm using new meds not unless it's giving her problems too

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well she has 4 more meds to go so almost done 😭

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keep at the s. bourlardii. Antibiotics usually don't get out of the system immediately after the final dose. I know when my cat has taken antibiotics for a UTI the vet doesn't want testing done for at least a week afterward.