Anti-social terrified awkward cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittenfish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do have a laser pointer for him and he loves it more than any toy I've ever used with him. I do make sure to give him something tangible afterwards to chase or play with so he gets that sense of accomplishment when catching it that the laser can't provide. 

I think something bad must have happened to him for sure. My other kitty is a shelter cat and she is fine but he is just so upset. I wish I could do more for him!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been reading your thread with interest. So much in it reminds me of my little girl Biscotte. She arrived in my barn 5 years ago, a very cold January. It was three weeks before I could catch her and she was terrified of everything, including wand toys. She stayed in a room of her own at first, then I gradually introduced her to the others. But it was 6 months before I could touch her and almost a year before I could pick her up. The only person she was comfortable with was Wellington, and they became best buddies, a relationship that has lasted right up till now. Biscotte found a safe place on top of a large bookcase, and if she wasn't with Wellington she was usually up there. She became a joke with my forends, who refused to believe she existed for years! The second anybody came to the door, she was off, and all you could see (sometimes) were a pair of ears sticking up over the archetrave. Then, after three or more years, she suddenly changed. She decided I was OK and began sleeping on my bed. She wanted cuddles and stayed with the others in the evening round the fire. And she gradually began to accept my friends, each of whom were amazed and felt complimented the first time Biscotte jumped on a lap, purring. Now, she is one of the most affectionate cats I have ever had, though she still loves her Wellington above any other creature. So there is hope, let Grim take things at his own pace and you never know what could happen.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry too much about your boy being skittish and only wanting to love with you.

My Abby was like that for years and years. Now that she is older, she is a social butterfly.

As with people, cats have their own personality traits. Some are shy and others are outgoing.  So long as your boy isn't hiding from everyone, including you, he is alright. Not all cats are social butterflies, just like some people are more comfortable sitting in a quiet corner at a party, just watching.

Your boy is gorgeous. Enjoy all the lovings you can, because if my cats are any indication, your boy will be sharing his love around as he gets older and older.