Anti-Matting Collar?

Colonel Empress

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is there an effective collar out there that won't lead to matting of the mane?(medium-long haired kitten) Is that a thing?

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, it's nice to meet you. :thumbsup:

I've never heard of a collar that specifically advertises as being anti-matting. I don't use collars, but many others on the site do. Have you tried a breakaway collar like Beastie Bands?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good question!

All commercial collars in the U.S. are breakaway collars, one way or another. Either they have a clasp that lets go under the kind of pressure it gets if it gets caught on something, or it's made of something stretchy, that stretches far enough for the cat to get loose should the collar be caught on something. Beastie Bands fall into the second category.

I've never seen a collar that's advertised as being anti-matting, and I can't think of any way to make such a collar. Since this is a kitten, rather than a full-grown cat, however, you have a chance to train the cat to allow you to remove the collar for grooming and then replace it later. I think this is your best bet.

Also, you need to be aware that you'll need to buy new collars for your kitten as she (he?) grows, or otherwise adjust the size of the collar.

If you're considering a Beastie Band collar, you need to be aware that these are made to spec for each cat/kitten; you have to measure your cat's throat and send that information when you order the collar. Beastie Bands work best when the collar is snug. (Note that I said "snug," not "tight.") A snug collar is much less likely to catch on something. And unfortunately, Beastie Bands tend to get rather ratty looking fairly quickly, because cats tend to scratch at them, so they seem to need replacing every year or so.

If you search the site for "Beastie" you'll find several threads where they're discussed.

Margret

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rolled leather collars are used for longhaired dogs to prevent matting. Of course, they aren't breakaway so they aren't safe for cats. But maybe if you sewed a Beastie band so it was rolled, that would work.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Anything that rubs against the fur and skin is going to cause flattened fur and, in long haired cats, matting. You could try a rolled collar as suggested. Etsy.com has rolled collars for cats. Check each listing to see if they are safety type collars or contact the seller directly.

Some people don't bother with collars at all, especially for indoor only cats. These people just microchip the cat.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
If you're considering a Beastie Band collar, you need to be aware that these are made to spec for each cat/kitten; you have to measure your cat's throat and send that information when you order the collar
You must be thinking of a different brand. The Beastie Bands come in a standard size that you cut to fit. It's quite easy to do with a pair of scissors.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You must be thinking of a different brand. The Beastie Bands come in a standard size that you cut to fit. It's quite easy to do with a pair of scissors.
Yes beastie bands are great, they come off easily and you cut them to fit.

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know what country you're from but in Australia, I get these collars:
Gummi Bling Kitten Collar Black | Pet Circle

They're made from rubber and the brand specifically states that "the collar will not catch on or pull your pussy’s glamorous coat."

I'm not sure how much that will help with matting but it also stays clean unlike the fabric collars I've used in the past.