Anti Declaw Education--Get Involved

cat servant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's my mission in life to educate as many people as possible of the harmfulness of declawing, save cats' paws, and  ultimately get

declawing outlawed.  I would like to present some suggestions of ways to announce our stand and educate people.  More ideas

welcome.

1)  Wear anti-declaw t-shirts, tote bags, pins, etc.

2) Dress up your car with bumper stickers, car magnets, etc.

3) Stick an anti-declaw yard sign in your front yard.

4) Write to your local newspaper and ask them to print reasons not to declaw.

5) Hand out anti-declaw business cards, informational pamphlets, etc.

6) Write!  Online and on paper.

7) Make a video explaining why declawing is harmful.

8) Make anti-declaw posters and put on public bulletin boards, etc.

9) If possible, support vets who do not declaw.  If for this reason you switch vets or turn one down, let them know the reason.

10) Write to your local politicians and ask them to consider a ban on declawing.

11) To anyone involved in cat rescue:  Adopt out only to people who will not declaw, and educate as many people as you can.

12) Be nice to people.  When you'd really like to attack someone because they might declaw, don't.  It will only make

enemies, and is unlikely to convince people to change their minds.

13) But do be firm in your stand.  Don't let anyone tell you that you're wrong, that what you're doing is not important, that you're not

making a difference, or anything else to slow you down

14) Be creative.  Think up different ways to get the word out.

15) Don't give up!  You're doing an important service, helping cats and people.  We need all the help we can get.  Every person counts.

At times it will seem slow, but keep on.  We've come a long way already.  Let's go the rest of the way!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat servant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Finally got a newspaper to publish a letter.  I'd be interested to see how people respond, if they respond at all...

logantwein

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with you that it is cruel, so I will do as much as possible to stop it, but I am not sure if my vet declawsl, but they are really good and pretty cheap and since I pay for most of my cats vet bills I need good and cheap so I would not be able to switch.

Logan

Last edited:

cat servant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had no idea if my vet declawed till last fall, when I took my then fosters for surgery, I was not about to ask, because the fear of what if they do...knowing would not make there be another one close by that didn't that would otherwise meet my rigorous requirements...

In conversation the receptionist told me they don't declaw.  I was thrilled, to say the least, sure did make me more comfortable recommending them to others.  Maybe yours doesn't.  Hopefully...

acatcalleddog

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with you. Here is the UK very few cats indeed are declawed - in fact I have never known one be declawed, though it's not illegal (just frowned upon and seen as cruel).

I was shocked a few years ago when I stayed with a friend in Canada, and all his friends with cats had declawed them!

Of course, most people in Canadian cities live in flats and apartments, in the UK most people with cats live in houses where cats have more space and can go out.

I believe that in the USA de-clawing is very common and accepted (like circumcision in human male babies actually, which is very uncommon in Europe and seen as unnecessary; the US do it for puritan not health reasons).

I wonder what percentage of cats are declawed in north America. Anyone know?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with you. Here is the UK very few cats indeed are declawed - in fact I have never known one be declawed, though it's not illegal (just frowned upon and seen as cruel).

I was shocked a few years ago when I stayed with a friend in Canada, and all his friends with cats had declawed them!

Of course, most people in Canadian cities live in flats and apartments, in the UK most people with cats live in houses where cats have more space and can go out.

I believe that in the USA de-clawing is very common and accepted (like circumcision in human male babies actually, which is very uncommon in Europe and seen as unnecessary; the US do it for puritan not health reasons).

I wonder what percentage of cats are declawed in north America. Anyone know?
Also living in the UK I had always thought declawing was illegal here. I have just looked up on line after reading this post and am really surprised/horrified that it's not!  Thankfully it is not practiced very often and I have never heard of a vet promoting it.

I was shocked when I first started looking on this site to see that many people in Canada and USA are bound by lease clauses requiring cats to be declawed and it would appear that this is a frequent reason given for the surgery.  I can only imagine what a dreadful position this places individuals and families in.  In addition to writing to politicians - what about education on consequences and humane alternatives targeting any large factors/landlords (or indeed anyone) renting out domestic properties in countries where this happens?  

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thankfully it is illegal here in Australia, although there is still much to change in terms of animal cruelty.  One thing I was thinking about recently, which may also be an avenue for your change campaign, is to get a celebrity to raise the issue.  We have some nightly tv programmes that talk about various issues; on occasion they include a celebrity vet on the panel.  If they could get the message out, and raise a big controversy, I think that would be fabulous.  They could investigate the lease requirements too, as that certainly would be dramatic...

I'm not sure exactly how you'd go about it, but writing to them would be the first step.  I actually know someone who is involved in the particular programme, so it might be just finding that one way in through a contact...

cccdlx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sure someone here has heard of The Paw Project.  If not her's the website.  wwwpawproject.org

rmbobo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Declawing is awful but it is very common here in the US. One of my friends cats was declawed and the poor baby could barley walk because of there was a mistake in the surgery. This same person planned on putting one of her other cats to sleep just because the little kitty was a troublemaker; I tried to convince her that it would be better just to put him outside but I ended up taking him because I couldn't let that happen. Some people just don't need pets...
I try to convince all my friends with cats to not declaw but sometimes they still do it. It's sad to see the little kitties after the surgery.

cat servant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Landlords need educating; that is something I need to think about further and figure out how best to go about it.  I don't know about all the animal shelters around here but as far as I know, some of them are not all against declawing.  I've thought about handing them my brochure in hopes they'll see the need to educate people and ideally, make sure potential adopters will not declaw.  At least give them something to think about.  And yes, Paw Project is great.  We just need something out here in the rest of the country to make an impact and raise awareness outside of the internet, as well as online.  I'm doing what I can, it's slow, and I've not yet got everything done on my list, but I'm working on it.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Landlords need educating; that is something I need to think about further and figure out how best to go about it.  I don't know about all the animal shelters around here but as far as I know, some of them are not all against declawing.  I've thought about handing them my brochure in hopes they'll see the need to educate people and ideally, make sure potential adopters will not declaw.  At least give them something to think about.  And yes, Paw Project is great.  We just need something out here in the rest of the country to make an impact and raise awareness outside of the internet, as well as online.  I'm doing what I can, it's slow, and I've not yet got everything done on my list, but I'm working on it.
It will be interesting to see what the International Cat Care organisation come out with - hopefully in the near future.  I really struggle with the fact that so many vets actually undertake this surgery on a regular basis - presumably knowing full well what the consequences are for the cats (if they don't they shouldn't be qualified as vets)!  If the animal shelters support declawing too then that sounds like a good area to target along with the property letting agents.  

Good for you trying to get the message out there. Living here in the UK I really hadn't appreciated how acceptable it was or how frequently it was done in some countries.

cat servant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's sick how vets will do it at all, let alone how some promote it.  Most of the numerous vets in my area will do it, some advertise it.  As far as shelters, I haven't checked with all of them, and the ones I have checked with or heard about that allow it, I hope they're just uneducated.  I've made a few brochures to hand out to people that tell a few declawing facts, briefly how to protect the furniture, and my list of ways to get involved, so they'd be good to hand to anyone, whether they need educating or are wanting to do something about it.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I totally admire what you are doing. I don't know if you're familiar with International Cat  Care (formerly FAB) but I expect that their policy (when it gets published) is likely to be in a format you can print off and distribute as well as directing people to for education.  It's worth looking out for possible campaigns they might run on this issue as well.  They will target governments,  cat 'owners', veterinarians and support staff, and breeders.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I admire your passion in trying to stop this unnecessary procedure. I'm continually amazed by folks who defend declawing. "But I keep him inside" or "They don't hurt for that long" or "But it's what I've always done" or "I researched the different types of declawing, so I know that my cat was done properly." The worst has got to be some of the things we're taught in nursing school. REALLY makes me angry to hear such nonsense.

As far as landlords, sigh...I don't know what can be done. They're in the business of making money and it's easier to say "no pets." As far as shelters, the shelter I adopted these cats frowns upon declawing but how can they really stop someone? Many shelters see it as a life or death sentence. And from some of the fool cat owners I've talked to, I can see why.

I think writing to newspapers is a fabulous untapped resource, I think it approaches people in a less threatening way.

cat servant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I totally admire what you are doing. I don't know if you're familiar with International Cat  Care (formerly FAB) but I expect that their policy (when it gets published) is likely to be in a format you can print off and distribute as well as directing people to for education.  It's worth looking out for possible campaigns they might run on this issue as well.  They will target governments,  cat 'owners', veterinarians and support staff, and breeders.
Interesting.  I'm not familiar with ICat Care, I'll have to check them out.  Hopefully they'll get a campaign started big time.
I admire your passion in trying to stop this unnecessary procedure. I'm continually amazed by folks who defend declawing. "But I keep him inside" or "They don't hurt for that long" or "But it's what I've always done" or "I researched the different types of declawing, so I know that my cat was done properly." The worst has got to be some of the things we're taught in nursing school. REALLY makes me angry to hear such nonsense.

As far as landlords, sigh...I don't know what can be done. They're in the business of making money and it's easier to say "no pets." As far as shelters, the shelter I adopted these cats frowns upon declawing but how can they really stop someone? Many shelters see it as a life or death sentence. And from some of the fool cat owners I've talked to, I can see why.

I think writing to newspapers is a fabulous untapped resource, I think it approaches people in a less threatening way.
Landlords...I don't have too clear a plan to get to them as of yet.  I've heard of some changing their policy or at least making an exception for someone, but some will be stubborn.  I need to write an article geared to landlords that points out how damaging declawing is to homes (think cat pee everywhere!)  as well as all its other problems.  Don't guess there is much else that we can do except educate them as long as the law doesn't stop them...

As far as shelters.  Some make adopters sing a contract that they will not declaw.  Some buy the delcaw-or-no-home thing but try to educate people and encourage alternatives.  Some do nothing, hopefully because they don't know all about it.  They're the ones I'm targeting in hopes that they will see the need to educate people.  I guess it depends on the people operating it.

acatcalleddog

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have never heard about de-clawing happening in the UK - but I wouldn't be surprised if foreign residents living in posh apartments in London have it inflicted on their poor cats.

In fact, I was utterly unaware of declawing at all (I though such things had died out with the Tarzan movies starring Johnny Weissmuller, fighting lions with rubber teeth and no claws) until on a visit to Canada in 2009, my host asked if I had got my cats declawed. He had to explain to me that it is common in Canada (and the USA) because people want to protect their furniture.

I have to say that I was shocked; and I still find the tradition of declawing really vile and disgusting - and utterly unnecessary. If you have antique Louis 16th furniture, perhaps don't get a cat eh? Or keep it in a room where you don't allow the cats (we do not allow ours upstairs usually, as a previous cat had a little issue with leaving little presents on the carpet everywhere...)

But I am sure that our vets here in the UK would refuse to do a declawing operation - which does not means others, esp in multicultural London, would refuse if people are paying.

The practice should be frowned upon and made morally unacceptable - which it already is in the UK, though not illegal. It seems accepted and seen as normal in north America for some reason though.

acatcalleddog

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I agree - I think a campaign is needed in countries where declawing seems standard (the USA and Canada).

I am also considering including a plot-line about it in the as-yet-unwritten sequel to my novel.. I shall definitely be featuring some American cats in that (from a film set) so I could easily make one of them declawed, and explore issues around that (in my usual comic way).

Does anyone know exactly what percentage of cats in the USA are declawed, by the way?

As I say, in the UK I have never ever known any cat to be declawed, but then I am sure some richer foreign residents of posh apartments in Mayfair, Belgravia, Westminster and Kensington (London) will have claw-less cats.

Last edited by a moderator:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Also living in the UK I had always thought declawing was illegal here. I have just looked up on line after reading this post and am really surprised/horrified that it's not!  Thankfully it is not practiced very often and I have never heard of a vet promoting it.
Actually it is illegal. As a member of the EU, the UK has to abide by the European Convention for the Protection of Pet Animals of 1987, which was ratified in 1992. It states the following:

Article 10 – Surgical operations

1 Surgical operations for the purpose of modifying the appearance of a pet animal or for other non‑curative purposes shall be prohibit­ed and, in particular:

a the docking of tails;

b the cropping of ears;

c devocalisation;

d declawing and defanging;
In addition, it's covered by section 5 of the (UK's) Animal Welfare Act of 2006:

5 Mutilation

(1) A person commits an offence if—
(a) he carries out a prohibited procedure on a protected animal;
(b) he causes such a procedure to be carried out on such an animal.

(2) A person commits an offence if—
(a) he is responsible for an animal,
(b) another person carries out a prohibited procedure on the animal, and
(c) he permitted that to happen or failed to take such steps (whether by way of supervising the other person or otherwise) as were reasonable in all the circumstances to prevent that happening.

(3) References in this section to the carrying out of a prohibited procedure on an animal are to the carrying out of a procedure which involves interference with the sensitive tissues or bone structure of the animal, otherwise than for the purpose of its medical treatment.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks jcat. That is reassuring, I was really taken aback when I had a quick look on line the other day to double check myself and thought it indicated declawing was still legal here!