Another Weird Colored Kitten

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Purraise
This one pulled on Monday. Siblings are steel grey/white and black/white with strong tabby overlay. It is clearly a tabby. Shelter said lilac tabby, I say maybe chocolate (not brown) tabby?

He has greenish to hazel eyes and pink but not super pink paw pads. They are not bubblegum pink but not black either.

His name is Oleander. We are in the Os and it's not even June! I can't remember when I started with the As, though. It wasn't this year--I have an "I" left from August last year.

LOL shelter marked him as "Oriental Shorthair" because of the color. No, still looks like a DSH to me, just an unusual coloring. Now I'm wondering if the siblings listed are actually his bio sibs or just shelter sibs. This particular shelter is very quick to put kittens in together, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I guess the best I can say is that these kittens all came in on the same day from the same marked source (Owner/Guardian Surrender). Could've been separate cases.

Anyway, color? Chocolate tabby or lilac tabby? He is not the same color as the other girl we have who is a lilac solid (Minuette) from a different local shelter, but he is also a lot younger and not long haired like she is.

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
She looks like a lilac DSH with ghost mackeral tabby markings. Very cute!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Purraise
I googled lilac and chocolate tabbies and I agree now that he is lilac. The chocolates are much darker.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Gorgeous!!! I want her!! no, I cannot do that to my guy... so sweet..

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Im not sure on the exact color genetics here, but we know its black gene and dilutations genes here. This makes its fully possible he is a sibling of these littermates, whom all do carry black and some dilutation in the litter. The most rare combination of the dilutation genes will produce liliac kitten in such a litter of recessive gene carrier parents, themselves not liliac.

Compare the more common recessive genes example; point and or longhair. The parents not pointed nor longhaired themselves... Only one kitten of four will be point or longhair, and thus seemingly "have another father" or "come from another litter".

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps. VERRY sweet kitten! There is something talking, yes touching, with him. Please take care of him!