Another vomit thread - but different cat this time...

chickpea616

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I'm back with another vomit thread because.....cats!! Can someone explain to me hairballs, and if your cat has them, have they ever thrown up their ENTIRE DINNER at the same time??

Our 12 year old foster was upstairs in my bedroom, and my husband and son happened to be in there watching some videos. Suddenly, my husband comes running out saying Scarlet's getting sick on the floor, and it's a lot! I run upstairs to a HUGE pile of throw up - more than I've seen before, even with 4 cats and one that throws up almost daily. (It was about the size of my open hand....)

Upon further examination, it was definitely a hairball. And, she had literally just eaten her "dinner" (wet food) a little while before that (maybe an hour) so there was a bunch of wet cat food mixed in. The only other cat I have that has hairballs doesn't throw up anything else with them, just the hairball (probably because she doesn't really eat a lot either). Is this just a case of the stomach movement "doing it's thing" for the hairball and bringing up the food with it because she had just eaten an hour ago?

EDIT: She's also on an antibiotic - but she's already a week in so I don't imagine that's what did it -- but maybe the combo of the food, the antibiotic, and then the hairball stomach motion created the perfect storm?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's done after eating,probably eating too fast/eating too much. At her age many small meals a day. My cats I feed 3x a day plus late at night so their not starving in the morning. My cat that used to throw up her food after eating, licks her food so instead of strait pate it has pieces of meat. I have also started feeding her cooked ground meat with ez complete and Farmina that has ground meat. Just so it takes her longer to eat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chickpea616

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess it’s possible that it was too much/too fast although it just seems weird since that hasn’t happened before, and since there was so much hair in there as well. Also sounds like I need to try smaller portions…

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chickpea616

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If it’s something upsetting her stomach, would it be “over” when the offending thing has left her stomach?