Another Visitor Tonight (warning: might freak you out)

cirque

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feel sorry for any animal suffering, wild or domestic. Please call someone to come rescue that adorable wounded critter. He needs a loving home or at least a second chance at life just like any cat in the forums. That wound looks so painful, my heart goes out to him and every animal in a similar situation.. I wish I was in a position to help them all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittykook

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cirque

I feel sorry for any animal suffering, wild or domestic. Please call someone to come rescue that adorable wounded critter. He needs a loving home or at least a second chance at life just like any cat in the forums. That wound looks so painful, my heart goes out to him and every animal in a similar situation.. I wish I was in a position to help them all.
I agree and have already emailed the guy at that possum rescue site that was recommended. I asked him if he knew of any possum rescues here in Nashville. If I don't hear back from by in the morning, I'll call the wildlife rescue that I know of here and hopefully, someone will be there on a Saturday.

I didn't know he was injured until I took the picture. It was dark outside and so I couldn't see much until the flash illuminated him better.

I do worry about Big getting a hold of him because he's a lot bigger than the possum and with the possum injured.....it wouldn't be a fair fight at all. And of course....I also worry about Big because he's finally beginning to trust me and I'm so close to being able to rescue him.

ccoccocats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering if the wound on this oppossum is from a possible car hitting him or maybe getting himself caught climbing under a barbed wire fence?

I feel sorry for him. He's a living creature with feelings and nerve endings and he's suffering in pain.

kittykook

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ccoccocats

I'm wondering if the wound on this oppossum is from a possible car hitting him or maybe getting himself caught climbing under a barbed wire fence?

I feel sorry for him. He's a living creature with feelings and nerve endings and he's suffering in pain.
Well...like I said....I live in a residential neighborhood....so there's no barbwire fences around here. And it really didn't look like a wound from being hit by a car....although I could be wrong. He's walking fine...he was eating fine....and it really looks more like a tearing flesh wound to me....as if another animal got a hold of him. I think that if he had been hit by a car....he might not be moving around so well because he'd be sore.....possibly even have broken bones.

The reason his mouth is open in the picture is because he was chewing his food....not hissing or howling in pain. He was really enjoying that cat food.

ccoccocats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen many oppossums eat from the same bowls as the ferals that I've fed, and it's almost like the cats stare at him, and once he's gone, they go in. Weird to see them both in the same territory at the same bowl.

kittykook

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a picture that was on the possum rescue site of a baby possum. This one looks to be about the same age as the one who used to eat the cat food off the patio table when I lived in the condo.

And here's one I had to laugh at! This guy is definitely a "house possum" who has been pampered for quite awhile. Look how fat he is!

kittykook

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by celerystalksme

whoa! that's one HUGE possum!
I know! I cracked up when I saw that one! He is living the cushy life for sure!

zazu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your possums in the US are soooo different to the ones we have here in Australia... I was looking at the picture thinking 'that's not a possum!!!'
but then I realised you meant opossum...

kittykook

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ccoccocats

Robin are you sure these pics are from the rescue site???? C'mon fess up!
Ok ok...I'm really raising possums too!
(just kidding)

It seems though that the word is out on the street that I'm a big softy and so all the little animals are making their way to my house for food.

I wonder what I'll see tomorrow?

myrage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aaawww that poor little guy... I hope he/she's okay. I think it's really cute. Even if it doesn't look friendly. It's got fur, and a tail... that makes it cute

I glanced at the rescue site, and there are some realllllly cute ones on there... Hmm........ lol I doubt hubby would go for a possum. I'd love a ferret, but he and I both agree that we don't have the time for one. I have my girls, and they are great.

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, the poor possum!

We used to get alot of possums (and raccoons) in my area when I was a teenager but I have seen any in a long time. I remember one time (this was when the cats still went outside) I was sitting at the dining room table and heard a cat scratching at the window to come in...I looked to see which kitty it was and it was a possum!

kittykook

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a teenager, a boyfriend that I had at the time had a pet possum. The first time I saw it.....it scared me. But my boyfriend told me to just sit on the couch and it would come to me. I sat down and sure enough, that possum climbed up on my lap and laid on his back for me to scratch his belly.
While I was scratching his belly, he wrapped that tail around my wrist.....I guess to make sure that I wouldn't stop.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the little possom in your yard is kinda cute. It makes me sad that the poor creature is hurt. I hope it will be alright.

You know I have kind of a sad possom story. It all happened one night I was driving to work. I live in Hollywood, and in a very residential section, so it's not common that you see much wildlife running around my streets, however on this particular night, I was driving down my street kind of fast, because I was running a bit late, when I saw red eyes in my headlights, and then as I drew nearer I could see the outline of a fairly large possom sitting in the middle of the street. I couldn't swerve out of the way, because there was a car right next to me in the next lane, and I couldn't slow down because someone was closing in on me from behind and the possom was just sitting there, frozen in the road. So, I thought that the only thing I could do was to try to angle my car in such a way, that the under-belly of my car would go over the possom, and that as long as it didn't move, I wouldn't hit it with my wheels. Well, just as I was over the poor creature, and beginning to think I was going get passed it without hitting it, I felt the thud on my back wheels. I looked out my rear veiw mirror and I saw it in the street, but I don't know if I killed it or not. All I could think was, "Why did you move, Possom? You would have been safe, if you hadn't have moved." I couldn't go back, because I was late for work,and because it was late at night, close to midnight, plus I was so freaked out about it, I was kind of in a daze. I'd never hit an animal before in my life. The next morning when I came home, I didn't see a dead possom on the road or any blood or evidence that there had been a dead possom, so I can only hope that the poor creature was OK.

ccoccocats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittyKook

Ok ok...I'm really raising possums too!
(just kidding)

It seems though that the word is out on the street that I'm a big softy and so all the little animals are making their way to my house for food.

I wonder what I'll see tomorrow?
Who knows maybe a baby lamb or piggy?

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would all animal control to move him to a safe place. He looks hurt!!! do you know what happen to the little guy??? Opossums and skunks seem to like cat food for somereason... I don't know why.

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night it was raining so we took the trash out and left it by the front door. This morning we saw that something had obviously torn into one of the bags and tried to eat some of our spaghetti and meat sauce. My boyfriend's first thought? That it was a possum...

Sorry but there's something about them that creeps me out. Their big fat hairless tails.. their sharp pointy-looking snout... gives me the shivers!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittyKook

This is a picture that was on the possum rescue site of a baby possum. This one looks to be about the same age as the one who used to eat the cat food off the patio table when I lived in the condo.

And here's one I had to laugh at! This guy is definitely a "house possum" who has been pampered for quite awhile. Look how fat he is!

Oh my god that is just too cute!
i want one

juniper

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Awwww, poor guy, I feel so bad for him. I don't think I've ever seen an oppossum before, I don't think we have them around here (maybe I'm wrong...). I think he's really cute! I hope one of those rescue groups can help him!

When I lived with my mom, we had a cat who liked to stay outdoors in the summer, so we left his food out there for him - raccoons used to come every night to eat it, and we'd watch them (didn't realise at that time what a bad idea that was re. rabies!), until one night a baby skunk showed up to eat, too! We stopped leaving the food out after that.