Another vaccine question.

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, Cat parents. Is there a reason to favor transnasal vaccines over injectable, or injectable over transnasal? The place where I board my cats ( a cats only clinic) does the transnasal vaccines but my regular vet does the injection. I am really on the fence about vaccines in the first place, and now there appears to be a difference of opinion....just trying to sort through it.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I choose trans nasal because I generally avoid any kind of injections whenever I can, to minimize the risk of sarcoma (which is low, yet I’ve known several cats with it). Plus both of my cats carry herpes and calici viruses so I actually like that intranasal vaccines targets respiratory track directly.
Dr Pierson can offer you an opinion about them. She says the panleukopenia vaccine may be weaker when applied intranasally, but frankly I don’t mind it since they’re indoor only cats and have been vaccinated for panleukopenia by injections in their kittenhood, which should give them immunity for life.
Vaccines for Cats: We Need to Stop Overvaccinating

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I read the article. Thank you. But it added to my confusion. I have 3 cats. One has cystic kidneys. One is 12, and has only had her initial inoculations, as a kitten, and none since. The third - our newest-was adopted from a shelter and he is fully vaccinated. All are indoor cats. 1. What are the chances that my two can contract something nacent from my new guy? 2. How would vaccines impact - potentially- my boy with cystic kidneys?3. Given all of the above, should I vaccinate, and if yes - injection or intranasally?

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Polycystic kidneys shouldn’t have an effect on vaccination unless your cat is actively sick/weak from it (like in kidney failure or something) in which case the vet giving the shots most likely wouldn’t do them anyway. You can ask the vet to make sure though.
If the newest cat got his shots at the shelter he shouldn’t be able to spread the things he was vaccinated for (panleuk, calicivirus, FVR.) New cats coming into the house always have the potential of bringing in other less harmful germs though, like a cat cold. Also, fleas.