Another urination problem (family wants to get rid of him) pls help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

debbiegarland

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply!  I'll make sure he has toys in there, and I think the enzyme cleaner should be pretty good--I mean my two friends who had similar problems suggested it to  me.  But maybe its not.  Its called Rocco & Roxie Professional Strength Stain & Odor Eliminator - Enzyme-Powered Pet Odor & Stain Remover for Dog and Cats Urine.   And I have a bunch of others I have been trying as well.  

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you really soaking the area? You could also consider using a black light to make sure you've gotten all of the spots.

debbiegarland

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I thought I was but i'm probably not if it smells this bad.  I forgot about the black light though--i'll for sure try that.  Although i'm kinda scared that it's gonna reveal he has been peeing in other spots--going to cross my fingers he isn't!!  Thanks for all your suggestions by the way and every one elses'--I really appreciate it.  It makes me feel like i'm not all alone in this mess!

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it floor is wood it unfortunately could have been absorbed by the wood fibers, I had a friend that had to rip up a portion of the floor and sub-floor 

debbiegarland

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh goodness!  Mine is made of linoleum.  Do you know if this material can absorb cat urine?  

Also another question: so I have soaked the floors plenty but the smell still persists.  And I used a black light and didn't find anything.  Does anyone have any guesses for why it still smells so bad?! 

Good news though is that he hasn't peed on the ground for almost 2 days! Hopefully the streak continues.  I put TWO litter boxes in the area where he pees--maybe that's the solution? 

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it would penetrate the linoleum, Is the spot near a wall? if so it might have gotten behind the baseboards. 

debbiegarland

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ugh yes it is right by the wall!  Do I need to tear them up you think? 

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would first try spraying Nature's Miracle or other enzyme based cleaner in the gap between the floor and the baseboards, soaking it really well might do the trick. If not you will need to remove the baseboards and trim to see how bad it is.  Good luck 

debbiegarland

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Great thanks for the help!!  

debbiegarland

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to give an update!!  And a question.  

My cat  is doing great!! It's been over a week without him peeing!  I am so so so happy about this!  I hope it continues!!  I don't even know what it was that fixed it--maybe the combination of my relentless scrubbing, along with feliway?!  I honestly thought feliway was such a hoax--but maybe it actually works.  My cat has never been the super affectionate and he used to hate it if I handled him in any way--but downstairs (where the feliway is) he seems so much more relaxed and doesn't seem to mind me petting him--he even purrs while I pet him which he never used to do.  And he stopped peeing around the time I got the feliway. 

Question: 

So now that it's been a week without him peeing are there any steps I should be taking to reinforce this?  I feel like it's just too good to be true! Also the new place I have his litterbox is not the best place--do you think in a couple months if he is still good I can move it back?

Also just wondering anyone have experience with feliway?  I'm just in such shock that something as easy as that could have maybe made such a huge difference in my cat.  He is 10x friendlier than usual when he is downstairs!  

whatsonemore

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Great news!  I've always read to move the litter box SLOWLY where you want/need it to be until you get it to the desired spot.

I've never used feliway, but I have researched it since I just added another cat to the household and wanted to be ready for any problems.  The reviews were so mixed, it's hard to know for certain, but like all things, what works for one cat/animal, may or may not work for another.

I recently took in a new dog that has some personality traits that I'd like to tweak (ex. being possessive of me) and I stumbled across a site that lists out all of the remedies and their corresponding problem help.  If you are interested in checking it out, it is bach flower pets and you'll want to look at the pet chart.  The cheapest source for a couple of the ones I was interested in is pure formulas.  You put the drops on the animal or in their food/water and it helps with whatever problem you are having with them.  You can also read up on the reviews for each one on amazon and then go try to find it cheaper on ebay or pure formulas, like I did, since I have so many pets.

And lastly, congrats on hanging in there with this cat!  I know it's been frustrating and difficult, but it will be worth it once you get all the kinks worked out and he implants himself so deep into your heart you can't imagine life without him (for all the right reasons.  :)

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good news, I agree with slowly moving the litter box gradually to another location. Try caulking around the baseboard to seal of the area. It made me happy to hear that that he is starting to relax and become more affectionate.

debbiegarland

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your help guys!