Another Sick Cat

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have to take my cat to the hospital and have all kinds of tests done on him in a few hours. He went to the vet Saturday and had blood work and stomach x rays and urine tests. Today the vet called and said he needs an ultrasound. He just turned 14 last month and has been overall pretty healthy. Except for cysts in his ears which I had removed a few months ago.
I've lost five cats and a dog in the past few years and now I only have two cats and a new dog left. I'm very attached to the pets I have left and just want them to live healthily for a long time. My childhood cats lived to be 19 and 20 but since them I can't seem to have a cat live past 14-16. These two I really want to.
He's had an intestinal blockage over a year ago from eating the stuffing of a toy my dog chewed up before I got home to clean it. They thought he could have ibd but he recovered so I didn't pursue testing. One of the cats, or both, throws up a fair amount, but he's long haired and gets furballs and eats things like hair and paper if he can. My other cat throws up from his atopica that he takes for allergies unless he eats before taking it so it's hard to tell who throws up sometimes.
A few days ago this cat peed on the bathroom rug right in front of me, then peed in the kitty litter but was stopping and starting not normal peeing for him. The next day there was more pee on the bathroom rug. He's also lost a pound and isn't always a great eater.
So I brought him in and now they're testing for cancer and infectious diseases. He's indoor only and I haven't taken in any new cats for eight years. He hadn't been to the vet for five months, neither had the other cat. They said my dog couldn't carry any cat diseases in, so where would he get an infectious disease?
Supposedly his kidneys are fine and he's not diabetic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

inkysmom

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know either. He's never had fleas that I've known of. Thanks though.

inkysmom

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Been waiting for news all day. I dropped him off at 6am but it took 45 minutes before I could leave and they took him. So far all I heard is he doesn't have any infectious diseases.
Driving me crazy ...

inkysmom

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I'll take all the good thoughts I can get! Still waiting ... I've had so many cats die of cancer, and my mom, I just want him to have something treatable

inkysmom

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just heard, nothing clear and no clear reason for him peeing in the house. X rays were normal which is good. Ultrasound showed some small things on liver and spleen so she did a couple of fine needle biopsies which take a few days to come back.
More waiting.
Since he's still peeing in the house and not eating as well and cranky with the other cat, usually they're best buddies, and lost a little weight I asked for antinausea and pain meds until results are back to make him happier and comfortable and get him eating better.

inkysmom

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just now got the call from the vet. It's multiple myeloma. She said it's pretty rare in cats, great. But cats can respond well to chemotherapy. Good thing I have pet insurance. He also had completely normal blood work last winter or spring so it's fairly early. She told me to have him see an oncologist as soon as I could.

He's only on one half a cerenia for nausea once a day and two doses of gabapentin a day for pain and he's eating a ton and acting happy. No more peeing or throwing up. I also gave him an appetite stimulant I had from a year ago and he's eating three cans a day and trying to eat the dog's canned food too lol.

Anyone deal with this before? The multiple myeloma I mean?

inkysmom

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I guess I should start a new thread since people stopped responding to this one?