Another scratching thread

jupeycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Fable has always gone through phases of scratching furniture and carpets and it seems that he's started up again. If you read my other thread in the health forum you will know that we have new bedroom furniture and that we think Fable peed in our bed during a thunderstorm the other night so he's obviously unsettled. I know this room has new smelling stuff in it but it also smells of my animals and us so I don't understand why he's wrecking the carpet (which isn't new), he didn't bother with the new furniture downstairs at all. He's also only scratching the carpet while I'm trying to sleep so last night I only had about 4 hours sleep which is bad because I have M.E. (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) and need to rest. He's going for the corners and sides and is going to make it threadbare like he's done in the past at our last house, we're renting so it's not our carpet either.

Like I said, this is something I've had a problem with since he was little, he has a cat tree downstairs and a scratching post upstairs so he has places to scratch. He also only scratches things he shouldn't when there's someone there to watch so we think it's something to do with attention. I'm so mad right now and tired, and I'm dreading going to bed! I love my cats and dog but sometimes they drive me crazy! I hope I'm not the only one!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jupeycat

He's going for the corners and sides and is going to make it threadbare like he's done in the past at our last house, we're renting so it's not our carpet either.
Cats can' tell the difference between the carpet that was yours and the new rented one.

Originally Posted by Jupeycat

He also only scratches things he shouldn't when there's someone there to watch so we think it's something to do with attention.
Not necessarily.

You may have to remove the carpet, add more scratching posts, cardboard boxes and other "scratch toys", and confine Fable in another room with all his scratch stuff while you take your needed rest.

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats and one will scratch the posts and cardboard and the other is so stubborn she insistes on the furniture. I have a wicker hamper and she has ruined it. I keep her nails cut but she still scratches. I have done everything the "experts" recommend and still Sweety will not conform. My next thing to try is a log with bark and see if she will use that. She was abandoned and maybe she was an outside cat and just doesn't like the artifical things. We'll see. I love her anyway. She's my baby.

werebear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you feel he scratches for attention, can you put him in another room, with a scratching post, for doing the "bad scratching"?

Sleeping in the bedroom is a privilege they should lose for bad behavior. If he only does it when you are there, to get attention, would this short circuit the process so he's not getting what he wants?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jupeycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies! After I wrote that post I read the sticky threads and decided to try the hoover outside the bedroom door thing that hissy recommended:

"Best way to keep a cat out of your bedroom, park your vacuum in front of your door. Run the plug underneath the door, leave the machine on, if kitty "knocks" on the door, get out of bed, plug in the machine 2 seconds then unplug."

I didn't have to leave my bed, just reach over and switch it on at the mains, I had to do this about 4 times and it worked each time! I got a pretty good nights sleep and I love my cats so much more this morning because of it
. They were both pleased to see me and I did miss having Jupey with me in the night but it was still worth it.

Hissy, you rock my socks!! I'm sure my partner will say the same when he gets off nights.

Everyone here is great!

kittee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thats great =) Another thing I wanted to offer was "Double sided tape" you can make your own or buy the fancy stuff at the store but I find it works wonders at keeping paws and claws away from stuff they should not be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jupeycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kittee

Thats great =) Another thing I wanted to offer was "Double sided tape" you can make your own or buy the fancy stuff at the store but I find it works wonders at keeping paws and claws away from stuff they should not be.
Yeah I read about that too, the problem is that Fable has a thing for tape although I don't know about the double sided stuff. I quite fancy having a go at using it on the carpet at the bottom of the stairs, that way I can make sure nobody is eating it! I'll have to have a look around to see if I can find any that's wide enough. Whoever fitted our stairs carpet didn't do a good job, it's horrible quality! I'll be so glad when we can afford our own place, I'm not going to have carpets at all and it's going to be completely animal friendly, I want to be a foster mum some day!