Another raw attempt

runnerup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've decided to feed raw. I am fostering a cat with allergies. She has been to numerous vets, all who think it is a food allergy but can't figure out what exactly is causing her itchiness. On our last attempt, she was fed nothing but boiled chicken for two weeks (no reaction). Then we fed her canned tuna in water (no reaction, aside from her refusing to eat boiled chicken and holding out for tuna). Which led to trying z/d. Her eye got swollen and runny and she scratched the heck out of her face. I can only conclude that it has to be something in processed cat food that is causing her to react this way.

I have been researching raw diets for a while now. Several weeks ago, I tried giving raw chicken chunks: Westley loved it, but Shana and Lana'thel (the foster kitty) showed absolutely no interest. Last night I cut up chicken thighs and mixed it in with canned tuna (which Shana and Lana love). Lana reluctantly ate a few bites (Shana ate it fine). This morning I gave the same mix... to the same results. I think it will work better if I can grind it and really mix it in... so I ordered a grinder. I need a way to get bones in the meals since even my raw-loving Westley can't figure out how to gnaw on bones (yet). And none of them would eat organs so I'll have to mix that in as well (I don't know which were what - they were whatever came with the whole chicken).

So my plan is to grind up chicken, bones, organs and mix it in with some tuna (slowly decreasing the amount of tuna) to get my two non-raw eaters to get used to it. Westley will get the mix plus chunks.
I really hope this helps with Lana's allergies. She looks so uncomfortable =(

Update 5/1/11: This morning's meal was eaten by all with a bit more enthusiasm. Westley ate plain chicken chunks, Shana had hers drizzled with tuna juice, and Lana had hers with tuna juice and a few bits of canned tuna.
Tonight's plan is the same, with added chicken hearts and livers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

runnerup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to update and ask a question.

First off, the ground chicken, with liver and heart was such a huge success. I have never seen my cats eat so heartily. I normally have to coax them to eat before I fall asleep from boredom (feeding is always supervised since each cat has their own food intolerance issues). My two cats used to not finish a 5.5 oz can of food per meal (shared between them)... but now they are eating a bowlful each. At each meal. How much is a bowlful? I don't know. About the amount that would fit in a 5.5 oz can?

How in the world did they manage with so little food before?

I should be getting my grinder on Friday. Until then, I am supplementing the raw diet with some cat milk. Do you think that will be okay until I grind up some bones to include in their food this weekend? Or should I go get some calcium supplements?

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would skip the milk, you can add crushed eggshell or bone meal but if you are getting your grinder that soon I wouldn't worry about it, I'd try giving some bone in meat, soft stuff like ribs from CGH or chicken, or the breast with the cartilage, or even just turkey gizzards, they take some chewing and strengthen their jaws. It's awesome they took to it so easily!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

runnerup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I ended up adding bone meal. But now I have a grinder! Boy that thing is awesome. Making the food is super easy!
Lana'thel wasn't reacting very well to her diet, so I suspect something in the supplement(s) is not agreeing with her. She now has a new batch of chicken meat, bones, liver, and heart with no additives to see if her condition improves. This, at least, is more nutritious than the two week trial of boiled chicken meat only diet the vet had her own previously. But we are back to square one in determining what her allergies are due to =( Luckily, she is quite happily eating her new raw diet (even without the tuna!).

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With Hills' reputaion, I wouldn't be surprised if that carries over to their other hypoallergenic foods. So I wouldn't necessarily blame processed foods based on what happened with Hills.

I do however, think that either way, raw is a great choice.

First post: I hope you were feeding canned as a meal later on in the day? I know that feeding raw with parts missing (bone, organs, vitamins/minerals) is dangerous, especially when feeding also with fish which is incomplete in nutrients.

Second post: Canned food crams a lot more nutrients into a small package. *nod*

Third Post: I would be really careful about feeding without any nutrient supplements. I've heard of people with cats and dogs that died because of that.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Minka

With Hills' reputaion, I wouldn't be surprised if that carries over to their other hypoallergenic foods. So I wouldn't necessarily blame processed foods based on what happened with Hills.

I do however, think that either way, raw is a great choice.

First post: I hope you were feeding canned as a meal later on in the day? I know that feeding raw with parts missing (bone, organs, vitamins/minerals) is dangerous, especially when feeding also with fish which is incomplete in nutrients.

Second post: Canned food crams a lot more nutrients into a small package. *nod*

Third Post: I would be really careful about feeding without any nutrient supplements. I've heard of people with cats and dogs that died because of that.
Interesting post, especially your last comment.

I've been a raw feeder for some time now, and I've never heard of any such thing. Quite the contrary, in fact. Lots of kitties have trouble with supplements and many, if not most, experienced raw feeders don't even bother with them.

If you're feeding the cat what nature intended it to eat, there's no need whatever to add any type of supplements (and the lack of said supplements most definitely will NOT kill!). Folks who grind their foods will sometimes add some of the known-to-be-delicate nutrients (such as taurine) to their foods, but whole prey and frankenprey feeders (such as myself) typically don't.

Originally Posted by runnerup

...I should be getting my grinder on Friday. Until then, I am supplementing the raw diet with some cat milk. Do you think that will be okay until I grind up some bones to include in their food this weekend? Or should I go get some calcium supplements?
Originally Posted by runnerup

I ended up adding bone meal. But now I have a grinder! Boy that thing is awesome. Making the food is super easy!
Lana'thel wasn't reacting very well to her diet, so I suspect something in the supplement(s) is not agreeing with her. She now has a new batch of chicken meat, bones, liver, and heart with no additives to see if her condition improves. This, at least, is more nutritious than the two week trial of boiled chicken meat only diet the vet had her own previously. But we are back to square one in determining what her allergies are due to =( Luckily, she is quite happily eating her new raw diet (even without the tuna!).
That's great news! Along with GoingPostal's recommendation against the cat milk, I'd like to add that fish is contraindicated for cats for several reasons - not the least of which is its high-allergen potential - so I'm glad to see you're not using the tuna as an enticement anymore.
(Eight Strikes Against Fishy Feeding)

How are things going now?

AC