Another question

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Actually, it's great that Harley wants to switch to wet food entirely. Dry food is tasty, and convenient for us humans, but not exactly "natural" for cats, and all brands contain grain. I'm not familiar with the Meow Mix pouches, but 3 doesn't sound unreasonable, and kittens normally need 3 meals a day, not two. (Young kittens do well on four meals).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Actually, it's great that Harley wants to switch to wet food entirely. Dry food is tasty, and convenient for us humans, but not exactly "natural" for cats, and all brands contain grain. I'm not familiar with the Meow Mix pouches, but 3 doesn't sound unreasonable, and kittens normally need 3 meals a day, not two. (Young kittens do well on four meals).
I gave him a cup of dry food at the beginning of the week, and most of it is still there!

He loves the wet food - I do have him on a schedule as well - he gets fed at 8AM, noon, and then at 5PM - everyday - and he is now eating a full pouch at each sitting, I'm so happy!

I went and got him some wet food last night cuz we were out, and I picked up one pouch of IAMS wet - and he wouldn't touch it! So, I think we're going to be sticking to the Meow Mix. I've heard that it really isn't that bad of a wet food anyways - so I think we're okay for now!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Makcenzie, have you tried Meow Mix's Market Selects? It's the same size containers, but in round little bowls instead of pouches. They don't get fancy names, & I don't know if its the same flavors or not, but so far, Damita & Chico prefer the Market Selects. I was paying $6 for a 12 pack of pouches(Shopko), but I can get a box of 12 Market Selects for around $4.50 in Kmart.
I haven't heard of those? Are they bigger chunks of food? Cuz I picked up IAMS last night (as posted above) just to see if he would like the bigger chunks of wet food, but he wouldn't touch it!

I might have to go and check out KMart and see what they have, thanks for the info!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

I gave him a cup of dry food at the beginning of the week, and most of it is still there!

He loves the wet food - I do have him on a schedule as well - he gets fed at 8AM, noon, and then at 5PM - everyday - and he is now eating a full pouch at each sitting, I'm so happy!

I went and got him some wet food last night cuz we were out, and I picked up one pouch of IAMS wet - and he wouldn't touch it! So, I think we're going to be sticking to the Meow Mix. I've heard that it really isn't that bad of a wet food anyways - so I think we're okay for now!
The only reason I'm not familiar with the Meow Mix pouches is that the brand isn't sold in Germany. I have read some good reviews of it here.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

The only reason I'm not familiar with the Meow Mix pouches is that the brand isn't sold in Germany. I have read some good reviews of it here.
I have read good reviews on it here too - which makes me even happier that he likes a good food!

I'm so glad that he's liking the wet - I know its a lot better for him!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I really wish I could get Jamie to give up his beloved dry food. He started eating the dry left out for his mom to free feed from when he was 4 weeks old, and I've been battling to wean him off the dry for almost seven years. I guess I should be grateful that he condescends to eat canned food half the time.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think of normal Meow Mix pouches as almost a gorund up texture. The market selects isn't very big chunks. Much smaller than Iams bites, IMO. Twitch even ate them this morning(she has trouble eating Nutro bites which are bigger). There can be a few bigger chunks, but nothing too big. The only problem I've had with it is everyone gets so excited for it they dive in before I can get it in a bowl, they just eat out of the cup.