another one..... lol.

jon acosto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i'm walking to the supermarket to get food and this grey  cat starts running to me, meowing. guess  he/she is hungry and she followed me all the way to the end of the black. reminds me of that cat i just saved a few weeks ago. i wonder, if cats communicate to eachother and say, "hey, this guy will feed us" idk.... . i bought my food came back the same road and try to get the cat to follow me, so i can give some leftover chicken i got in the fridge. i was about 1/4 mile from my place, the other cat followed me to the dollar general which is a lot closer than the supermarket. BUT the rain got real bad from drizzle to heavy, so she freaked and hid underneath a car. couldn't carry her, had a lot of heavy bags. could have tried to put her inside the bag, but i don't think the cat would have stood still. 

i'm gonna  try and get that same rescue group to help me grab her.. the last cat was easy, she lived underneath the stairs.

wondering if anyone got any ideas. i am not investing into one of those cages just to save one cat. lol.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

i'm walking to the supermarket to get food and this grey  cat starts running to me, meowing. guess  he/she is hungry and she followed me all the way to the end of the black. reminds me of that cat i just saved a few weeks ago. i wonder, if cats communicate to eachother and say, "hey, this guy will feed us" idk.... . i bought my food came back the same road and try to get the cat to follow me, so i can give some leftover chicken i got in the fridge. i was about 1/4 mile from my place, the other cat followed me to the dollar general which is a lot closer than the supermarket. BUT the rain got real bad from drizzle to heavy, so she freaked and hid underneath a car. couldn't carry her, had a lot of heavy bags. could have tried to put her inside the bag, but i don't think the cat would have stood still. 

i'm gonna  try and get that same rescue group to help me grab her.. the last cat was easy, she lived underneath the stairs.

wondering if anyone got any ideas. i am not investing into one of those cages just to save one cat. lol.
If you can get help from this rescue group, or similiar, they have surely access to a trap.

Antother variation is you yourself do a new try.  You were thinking on taking her into the bag.  Have a carrier with you, and hope you see her again.   She is no semiferal, she is surely a dumped, so with a little luck she will voluntary follow you. In in the carrier, or go after you home.

So work parallelly...  Do both.

Good luck!

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jon - with the way the cats' telegraph system works, I have a feeling your are not going to save just one more cat! 

Walmart has inexpensive but sturdy carriers for about $25.  Medium size would be good.  If you can't get one of those, try Goodwill.  I got an excellent carrier for $5 the other day.

And Stefan is correct, the rescue may have a crate or carrier they can lend you.  You are doing good work.  I know you have allergies, so you deserve even more kudos for helping them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jon acosto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my  allergies vary by animal. this cat is not as fluffy as the other cat. She has the same fur of this cat i had growing up. i don't understand how i grew up with two dogs and 5 cats, hamster, and even nursed a pigeon back to health and now i'm allergic to pets, lol.

short hair animals, i do better with.... i'll have to speak with the landlord again, as i still got the no pets rules and exemption for cat 1....

gonna try and lure the cat to the townhome and put her in the back yard, so it won't hurt my allergies and won't violate my lease, as the lease states no pets inside the home, lol. idk.....

first time i saw the cat and she literally ran to me meowing, rubbed herself on my bag, and followed me. i'm confident if i see her again, i can put her in a box and bring her back....

i'll let ya  know....

where i'm at, there's a lot of cats in the streets....  

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, I developed a lot of allergies once I got older. Who knows?

Keep in mind the cat may have established her territory in the original area you saw her. If you bring her into your yard, she may try to return "home." You may need to confine her.

But first, you should also make sure she isn't "owned" by someone who is letting her run loose. The rescue may help with that. Posters or flyers, checking for a microchip. If she's that friendly, she may have gotten out by mistake or lost (or God forbid, dumped). If you can't determine if it was one of the first two cases, then you should feel confident in rescuing her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jon acosto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well, she was starving, she wasn't just wanting a fresh place to stay dry.... it was raining in philly, yesterday. who would let their animals out in the freezing rain?

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

well, she was starving, she wasn't just wanting a fresh place to stay dry.... it was raining in philly, yesterday. who would let their animals out in the freezing rain?
Idiots, that's who.  Oh, did I say that out loud?  Well, unfortunately, that's what I think!

Blessing on you, Jon.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats who are "owned" are not starving and following strangers around begging for food. Owned cats have a food source and don't need to cry for strangers to feed them. The cats you describe were either dumped by their owners, left behind by people who once cared for them and moved away, or "owned" by someone who does not provide food for them. In any case, I wouldn't try to find an owner since whoever "owns" them does not even feed them. It's also possible these cats have parasites, so even if they are being given some food, they're still starving because the worms absorb all the  nutrition. A responsible owner with outdoor cats will give them a de-wormer every several months. I personally would never return any stray cat that I've taken in because often I've spent hundreds of dollars on them for veterinary care (neutering, vaccinations, de-worming, sometimes antibiotics for infections) and I would not trust a neglectful owner to suddenly become a responsible one. If you provide food for this stray in your yard, it will likely stay close to you. If it already had a person providing food for it, it wouldn't be following you around and crying. I recently rescued a starving stray by my work place. After I fed him, he rubbed against my leg. I simply picked him up and put him in a pet carrier and into my car. If you don't have a pet carrier, you can put him in a box with a blanket and carry him to your car.