Another newbie here seeking advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FlexR+

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I recently built a house for a feral cat that has been hanging around our neighborhood for the last couple of years (Pittsburgh, PA). It can get pretty cold here in the winter, and after seeing paw prints in the snow in below freezing temps, I decided to build something on my property where it frequents. Well, I built a 3' x 3' house out off plywood & 2x4s with a couple of plexiglass windows and a loft area. It is insulated and lined with straw. I put a webcam in, and within a week, began to have a visitor. It would come about once a day, usually late at night, eat some cat food I put in a bowl there, then go on its way. That happened for about 2 weeks. When watching the footage the other night, I noticed that there is a different cat visiting and eating as well. So, I'm wondering what steps to take next. I'm not sure if they'll fight over the house/space/food, or what. I read about having 2 separate entrances, so I was considering cutting a second hole for another door, but that wouldn't be ideal for my design. Also wondering if I should leave the food outside somehow and leave the house for dwelling (I've seen pics of feeder boxes for more than 1 cat). I'm not trying to attract new/other cats, however, we do have a lot of small animals around here that they could help get rid of for me (mice, chipmunks, moles, etc.). Anyway, I'm new to cats, especially feral ones, so I'll be happy to take any advice anyone might have. Thanks!

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The problem with putting food out for one cat is that you usually do end up with more than one. And sometimes possums, raccoons -- and skunks, too. Taking up any food once it's eaten may keep wildlife away, but if your feral cat is eating late at night, that could be inconvenient. Is cat #2 coming at the same time? It's possible that they're traveling buddies.

Not sure about the second door. I've read that it's best to just have one opening in a cat shelter because it's hard for a cat to defend two doors in the event a pair of predators showed up together. But a 3x3 shelter should be plenty of room for two cats. Maybe you could put a divider inside it with another opening, and have two separate compartments.

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can put the kitty on a schedule for feeding it will take a little bit but it is worth a try. I have my feral Timmy on a schedule as well. I do leave food dry food during the day and take that up at night .. yet I feed him a can of wet two times a day. once in the am and then around 4pm. It will take some time and maybe you can see if he is coming any at all during the day . if you are putting food in the shelter that may not be a good idea, yet I am not sure if I read that correctly.
The food in the shelter attracts all things big and small lol. Not sure if anything I have said has helped but I hope it has I will keep up with your story and see how things are going. Don't worry about the kitty not coming back trust me it will.. It sees you as a food source and that is a great motivator.

FlexR+

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks all! Yes, I currently have the bowl of food inside the house, but I am considering changing that. Yesterday, both cats visited the house for a bite to eat about 40 minutes apart in the late afternoon. That leads me to believe that they've probably crossed paths before at some point before. So, I feel a little better about them bumping into each other. I'll keep you posted on any changes.

Attachments

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nice looking shelter! Funny how that cat is looking right into the webcam

FlexR+

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! Yeah, I eventually realized there was an LED indicator on the camera that would come on when motion was sensed. Shortly after I put tape over it, I realized I could turn it off in the camera settings. It's a cheap $20 camera, but the little thing is awesome! If anyone is interested in one, I will gladly provide the info.

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks all! Yes, I currently have the bowl of food inside the house, but I am considering changing that. Yesterday, both cats visited the house for a bite to eat about 40 minutes apart in the late afternoon. That leads me to believe that they've probably crossed paths before at some point before. So, I feel a little better about them bumping into each other. I'll keep you posted on any changes.
My Little Bella looks like your baby 😍