Another litter question

musicteacher

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been using Feline Pine, but as it turns to saw dust my cats track it EVERYWHERE. I tried Feline Pine Scoopable. It doesn't track as much but it doesn't control odor as well. I'd like to find a litter that doesn't track quite as much (because feline pine tracks like crazy), controls odor well and is good for the cats. I don't like clay litter or crystals. What do you all recommend?

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
World's Best Cat Litter. The stuff is awesome! I used to use pine and couldn't believe how easy litter could be after I made the switch.

All litters will track to some degree but its not to horrible - par for the course. Odor control is pretty good and ease of use beats all other litters I've ever used!

We've been using it for at least 2 months and have yet to need a full box change. As it gets low we just pour more in, it leaves the box so clean.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

musicteacher

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That sounds great. I don't mind a little tracking, but FP gets everywhere. All over the bed, the carpet, out into the hallway. I have to vaccuum twice a day to stay on top of it.

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My question can fit it in here (I'm not trying to hijack - it pertains to the same thing!). Is World's Best really worth the extra money? Right now I'm using Swheat Scoop, which yes is more expensive than some, but atleast at PetCo World's Best is even more. If its really worth it, I may try it, but I don't want to waste my money!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AshleyNicole

My question can fit it in here (I'm not trying to hijack - it pertains to the same thing!). Is World's Best really worth the extra money? Right now I'm using Swheat Scoop, which yes is more expensive than some, but atleast at PetCo World's Best is even more. If its really worth it, I may try it, but I don't want to waste my money!
i've heard that WBCL isn't as dusty as Swheat scoop. if you aren't having a dust problem, i don't see why you would switch. my cats refuse to use anything except clay - picky critters!

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been using Fresh Results litter & really like it. It still tracks some - about as much as clumping clay litter does, but not as bad as FP. I find it on the floor near the litterboxes, but not all over the furniture like when I was using Feline Pine. It's made from corn cobs, clumps well, is flushable, isn't dusty, and controls odor pretty well. The pieces are smaller than WBCL, so it probably tracks more, but it's not as expensive as WBCL (if WBCL was priced more reasonably I'd definitely try it, but with 4 cats it's just too expensive). Fresh Results it's carried at some grocery stores & at Wal-Mart - it's about $6 for a 10-lb bag, and comes in a purple bag with a pretty white cat on it.

purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't like World's Best when I used it, but the kitty I'm getting soon is used to it and my Cupid will use anything, so I'm going to try it again.

I never thought it controlled odor very well, and I just have one cat who happens to have uh...less stinky poo than usual.
It was before they came out with the multi-cat formula, though.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would also recommend the WBCL. Although, i find that lately, the regular has controled odour better than multicat which feels different so has obviously been changed for some reason.

As far as the Swheat Scoop vs WBCL, I cheaped out once and bought the Swheat Scoop and never again! IMO Its dustier, sticky, smellier and harder to clean, but I know people who use Swheat Scoop that say the same about WBCL so I guess it comes down to preference.

ponyboy78

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by SolarityBengals

World's Best Cat Litter. The stuff is awesome! I used to use pine and couldn't believe how easy litter could be after I made the switch.

All litters will track to some degree but its not to horrible - par for the course. Odor control is pretty good and ease of use beats all other litters I've ever used!

We've been using it for at least 2 months and have yet to need a full box change. As it gets low we just pour more in, it leaves the box so clean.
I have tried World's Best Cat Litter, and it wasnt too bad in the beginning, but the there was absolutley no odor control. Thats not to say the litter doesnt control the odor, it may just be my cat. The best thing to do is give it a go and see how it works with your kitty.

In terms of natural litters, I find that corn based products work the best, other than the odor....leading me to think its my kitty not the litter! Good luck!

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I liked the idea of all the natural litters and Swheat Scoop worked fine for me (though it was quite sticky and had to be cleaned several times a day) but my cats rejected Pine, WBCL and eventually, Swheat Scoop. We're stuck with clay here and it's not so bad...

musicteacher

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, I went to get a bag of WBCL and wow!! I had no idea it was so expensive. I couldn't bring myself to spend that much money for something that will be pooped and peed in.lol. I settled for Yesterday's News. We'll see how that goes. If I don't like it I think I'll try Fresh Results next, or Swheat Scoop. Thanks for all the suggestions.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used swheat scoop originally and the clumps were so gigantic! They also broke apart easily and it was messier. WBCL is sooo easy and much better IMO.

WBCL is worth the price. It will save you time and you run out a lot slower. My only other recommendation is to keep like 4-5 inches in if you have a deep litter box. This makes the clumps form even nicer.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just broke down and bought worlds best ... it is great simliar to chn crumbles I used for a while but spiders arent nesting in it

gia_c

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AshleyNicole

i dont think it is. i just use the arm and hammer litter. but to me worlds best just smelled too weird to me. maybe my nose is just intolerant of it. i'd rather train my cat to use a toilet than buy worlds best. lol

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My only other recommendation is to keep like 4-5 inches in if you have a deep litter box. This makes the clumps form even nicer.
That does help quite a bit - I've been using the litterbox care instructions on this page, but with Fresh Results litter and high-sided Sterilite bins (18-gallon) instead of a covered box. The high-sided bin helps keep the litter from being kicked out, and is also necessary because I have a high-spraying cat. I keep a ruler just for the box nearby, so I can be sure to keep the level at 4-5", and keep a little step stool next to the box, to make it easier for the cats to get in.

If your cats are like mine & tend to urinate in the corner and on the edges of the box, you can make it easier to clean by spraying the box with anti-stick spray before filling it up, and then respraying any soiled areas on the walls of the box after cleaning them. That also helps keep the box cleaner longer. The spray says it can be used on the litter itself too, but I'm afraid it might interfere with the litter clumping - I only use it on the walls of the box.

I used swheat scoop originally and the clumps were so gigantic! They also broke apart easily and it was messier.
The main trouble I had with Swheat Scoop was that the clumps were so sticky - even with anti-stick spray it was really hard to clean out of the corners. It probably would have been fine if my cats didn't insist on peeing in the corners, though.

musicteacher

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sterilite boxes sound like a good idea. I have a covered box with a door, and my cats still manage to kick litter outside the box. Maybe something with higher sides will help. So far, the Yesterday's News seems to track less than Feline Pine, so that's a plus. It seems to control odor ok too. I'll think I'll try a few brands and then settle on one.

I actually have a sort of funny litter story to share. My cats got hold of a roll of paper towels, and proceeded to rip it to shreds. There were paper towel bits all over the floor, and I didn't have time to clean them up before work so I decided to leave them until I got home. When I got home all the paper towels were mysteriously gone. I thought maybe my husband picked them up. I went to change the litter, and what did I find? My cats had used the paper towels to line the litter box. Aparently they thought the paper towels were more absorbent than the clumping Feline Pine. I think maybe they wanted to change litter too.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MusicTeacher

Sterilite boxes sound like a good idea. I have a covered box with a door, and my cats still manage to kick litter outside the box. Maybe something with higher sides will help. So far, the Yesterday's News seems to track less than Feline Pine, so that's a plus. It seems to control odor ok too. I'll think I'll try a few brands and then settle on one.

I actually have a sort of funny litter story to share. My cats got hold of a roll of paper towels, and proceeded to rip it to shreds. There were paper towel bits all over the floor, and I didn't have time to clean them up before work so I decided to leave them until I got home. When I got home all the paper towels were mysteriously gone. I thought maybe my husband picked them up. I went to change the litter, and what did I find? My cats had used the paper towels to line the litter box. Aparently they thought the paper towels were more absorbent than the clumping Feline Pine. I think maybe they wanted to change litter too.
If they dont like the news try pa purr ..lol...

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Purr

I didn't like World's Best when I used it. I never thought it controlled odor very well, and I just have one cat who happens to have uh...less stinky poo than usual.
It was before they came out with the multi-cat formula, though.
Originally Posted by ponyboy78

I have tried World's Best Cat Litter, and it wasnt too bad in the beginning, but the there was absolutley no odor control. Thats not to say the litter doesnt control the odor, it may just be my cat.
Originally Posted by gia_c

i dont think it is. i just use the arm and hammer litter. but to me worlds best just smelled too weird to me. maybe my nose is just intolerant of it. i'd rather train my cat to use a toilet than buy worlds best. lol
this is my experience, too. not only did the cats not care for it, i felt it didn't control odor very well...or my cats have very stinky poo & pee - could be either one

journey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Right now i'm using a similar version of feline pine because that's what she had in her foster home, but i have to say that i feel like throwing up just from the smell alone, and then along with pee and poop i have to plug my nose when i clean it so i don't gag. i have a small bag of WBCL that i'm dying to try.....I used to use just plain old clay clumping stuff with my old cat, but hated the tracking of it. plus it's so bad for the environment. but i have to admit the price of WBCL is ridiculous and i'm tempted to bring it back and just buy cheap clay stuff......

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by journey

I used to use just plain old clay clumping stuff with my old cat, but hated the tracking of it. plus it's so bad for the environment. but i have to admit the price of WBCL is ridiculous and i'm tempted to bring it back and just buy cheap clay stuff......
I don't know if Fresh Results is available where you live, but it might be a good option to try - the reason I was so happy when I found it was that it's environmentally friendly (made from corn cobs) and effective, and it doesn't cost as much as WBCL. With 4 large litterboxes in our house, filling them all up with WBCL would be ridiculously expensive.