Another flea question…

nwengel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat recently got fleas. Things are ok now, but I saw her “picking” and doing some extra grooming today, making me wonder if they are back. On top of vacuuming and laundry, I’m going to set off a flea bomb in my house on Sunday. I am taking my kitty to my parent’s house during this time, but I am wondering how I can get any eggs or larvae off of the cat itself, otherwise bringing her back into a clean environment will all be for naught.

I believe I’ve found some eggs while combing her head, but I don’t want to give her a shampoo around her head in case she ingests some of it.

Can you recommend anything I can do to ensure she is “flea free” before bringing her back in? Capstar worked wonderfully (although I was terrified at first because she totally freaked out), but I know it is just for adult fleas. Oh, she has also been treated with frontline, but it hasn’t been long enough to give her another dose.

Thank you, all of your excellent advice has helped me through our first year together!
7A1D3828-E2D4-4E13-B52D-1B166075A124.jpeg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Frontline (Plus) should help with the flea eggs/larvae. Frontline (NOT Plus) does not have the additive ingredient to deal with flea eggs larvae. Nonetheless, you can't treat again before the 1-month timeline.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Advantage II - nonprescription - might work in your area. Treat all the cats. Also, vacuum all areas of your home, and clean on high heat all their bedding/towels/blankets - repeatedly. Sprays like Precor 2000 for the carpets will also make a difference - follow the directions.

The bites on your one cat are probably associated with an allergy to fleas. The only way to resolve that is to get rid of the fleas. You could try an antihistamine, but I would not recommend doing so without a vet approval.

Yes, Feeby would seek out places off the floor - tables tops, etc. to get away from the fleas.