Another Ear Infection

goblinsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Goblin was treated for an ear infection last year, and now I noticed that he's scratching at his ears again. Upon inspection, I can see that there is some watery, yellow-ish fluid in his ears, which is consistent to what the vet pointed out last time.

The vet gave me a big list of things that could cause his infection without really telling me how to narrow down the possibilities, shot him up with Convenia and drops, and sent us home (we don't go to that vet anymore!)

I'm thinking this is likely a chicken allergy, because for several years, that's all he would eat. We've been transitioning to commercial raw, but all he'll eat of that so far is pork. So his diet consists of only Weruva chicken flavors, and Primal FD pork.

I'm thinking I should eliminate the chicken, but is it okay if he's only eating pork? I've tried other proteins (turkey, rabbit, duck) and they're all a hard NO from him.

Also, does FHV cause ear infections? Could L-lysine help?

Any advice from allergy or chronic ear infection sufferers much appreciated.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't answer the ear question, but hopefully someone will.

Only eating pork can be hard to find a suitable food. But if the flip side is having health problems from eating chicken then I would cut out the chicken. I would continue to try random non-pork foods as new things come to market just to see if he will go for something else.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yellow liquid may indicate infection. I think you should see a new vet for treatment options.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goblinsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yellow liquid may indicate infection. I think you should see a new vet for treatment options.
Definitely! I have some of the ear drops leftover from the last time and they're still within the expiration date, so I'm going to start that while we're waiting to get into the new vet. I'm just trying to figure out how to keep this from becoming a chronic thing.