Another cat?

jessicac05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good afternoon. We currently have 2 cats, one neutered 2.5 year old male and one spayed 7 month old female. The male is black and white medium hair, said to be a Maine Coon mix. The female is a domestic shorthair mix and is a tortoiseshell color.

We are thinking of adding to our cat family. The male cat was our resident cat and we introduced the female as an 8 week old kitten. The male seems more laid back than the female. My question is, would it be better to get another male as a kitten? Or would it be ok to get a cat that is already a bit older? Male or female? I know it depends on the individual cats, but I am wondering if a male would be the way to go as the female can be a bit more temperamental. I would just like some thoughts with people who are more experienced with cat behavior than I am.

Also, I am concerned if I get another male that one or both will start spraying. Our resident male cat was neutered at about 4-5 months old, if that helps.

Thanks!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
It's a little hard to say whether a kitten or a slightly older one would get along better with the other two cats, although a slightly older one that's past the crazy-kitten stage might be helpful for everybody involved :)

Females can be extremely territorial, spayed or not.

How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat - TheCatSite

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi jessicac05 jessicac05

I would recommend adopting through a rescue where the cat is already neutered or spayed. You'll avoid even the energy difference issues and it will support introductions to not have to take kitten off to do that.

One between 5-7 months might be best. They are still a kitten and young, but more of their personality has blossomed and they'll have a similar energy to your young female. A playful 1-2 year old could also be a good fit, if you choose one who is good with other cats and have the time and patience for what could be a touch of a longer introduction on your 2 year olds end.

Though, from your post it sounds like he took to your female easily. I would think that should happen again.

My late female cat got along with all, male cats especially. She loved other pets. But I've heard that's such a rare temperament! You might want to stick with males, but don't overlook a perfect personality match from a female should it come along.