Another cat peeing outside box question: identifying the culprit

caitini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So one of my cats has recently begun peeing in places he shouldn't. This is very new behaviour and has happened enough times now for me to become concerned about it. There's no obvious reason for it (I have two cats and three litter trays; the cats get along great; no changes in diet or anything else lately; no other behavioural changes) so I am guessing it might be a medical issue. But I'm not sure which cat it is, since it only happens when I'm not around. Short of keeping them in separate rooms and waiting for it to happen again, is there any other way to tell which cat it is? Are there any other physical symptoms I should be looking for?

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are right that this could be a medical issue if this is new behavior. Are the accidents in a specific room that can be closed off? I have 4 cats and went through this same issue. My hubby actually took the wrong cat to the vet before we figured out who it was. Right after he took Starbuck to the vet for no reason Sonny peed on the chair right in front of him. Sometimes cats will strain or pee blood. Sonny never did that. If the location can be closed off you could try locking each cat in the room separately to see who goes out of the box but I would do it when you are home.