Another Cat/Dog Encounter - Are They Playing? I Can't Tell!

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Stella swats Tino1

I posted a video a while back trying to gauge my cat's reaction to my son's dog who visits from time to time. Stella's gone from cautiously curious to somewhat assertive. She will actually chase Tino and she follows him relentlessly when he's in our house. I don't know if she's guarding her turf or trying to play (since I've never had a cat and a dog together.)

This was her reaction to him today - can anyone tell me if she is playing with him or trying to smack him down?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Tino is a good sport, i.e. not barking or jumping. But Stella does not look like she's playing to me. She's not hissing which is a good sign but she is keeping herself on the chair above him and swatting. I think it's possible for them to become friends but on Stella's terms. Thanks for the video.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tino is a good sport, i.e. not barking or jumping. But Stella does not look like she's playing to me. She's not hissing which is a good sign but she is keeping herself on the chair above him and swatting. I think it's possible for them to become friends but on Stella's terms. Thanks for the video.
Thanks for the input. Stella never hisses! I've never heard her hiss, snarl, or make any kind of aggressive stance and she's never scratched or bitten anyone in the two years I've had her. Right here with Tino is the most assertive I've ever seen her.