Annoyingly noisy cat

sphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 2 male Sphynx cats, both turning 5 this year. The one - Molly - is very laid-back and affectionate. The other - Caluga - while he is affectionate he is driving me CRAZY with incessant meowing. He does it in the hope I will give him food... I have to feed him the required amount slowly over the day, as he is so greedy and is constantly regurgitating his food as he wolfs it down so fast. I feed both my boys in this way as it makes life easier. What can I do to stop him from the constant meowing between meals? I mean it when I say it is driving me crazy. He is fed either RC Siamese (big kibbles to encourage him to chew and not bolt it down) or Orijen fish and both my boys get wet food twice a day.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could remove your association with dry food at least by getting an automatic kibble feeder.

For wet food, if you have a digital watch, just set the timer and be 100% consistent with the time of feedings so there is no point in bothering you about it if its not say 6AM or 10PM. Cats seem to have very reliable internal clocks.

I'm not convinced its actually great for male cats to eat constantly throughout the day for life outside of kittenhood, as their urine PH is never allowed to drop.

If you would just like to feed dry once a day, which is what I do, and want to slow their roll so they don't inhale it and get a more even share of kibble between cats, you can go with a Multivet Slimcat food distributor ball and put it inside a turbotrack so it doesn't roll all over the house.

http://www.amazon.com/MultiVet-SlimC...7123608&sr=8-1

(I've since redone the above setup slightly, where the narrower bend part is taped inside their box, with just the larger part of the track sticking out, as they seem to enjoy this more playing w/ the ball in the track while inside the box and it takes up less space and is easier to slide around)

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he neutered? Unaltered animals are routinely more noisy.

Also, just like people, there are just some really chatty cats.

He could also be bored. Try playing with him more. He could just be wanting some extra attention.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Also, just like people, there are just some really chatty cats.
Seems male cats tend to be more vocal though, unlike with people where the female of the species are excessively chatty... yack, yack, yack, nag, nag, nag....

JK! *ducks for cover*

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

Seems male cats tend to be more vocal though, unlike with people where the female of the species are excessively chatty... yack, yack, yack, nag, nag, nag....

JK! *ducks for cover*
I found not much difference between noisy males or females. My loudest male only starts yelling at the top of his lungs when he sees me heading to the catfood cupboard or hears the tin opener. The loudest female reserves that for yelling at other cats. Noisest male (outdoors) walks around the yard making pathetic, painful sounding meows that makes you wonder what ails the cat - he just talks all the time when he isnt hunting or stuffing his face. Unfortunately, they also learn from each other: Da Lip walks around the house trilling softly (and sometimes not so softly) and from him, Da Magpie and formerly silent Jack have learned the same habit. The quietest two just look at me and make a nice polite 'Mew" as if to say hello.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
2 of mine walk around the house and meowl through out the day. They'll do it for food, but do it more for attention. I call their names and they usually come running for a snuggle. A cat can train you very easily if you let them do it. I could stop the behavior if I didn't cave into their demands.

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The boys and Sami are all chatty. Though, all at different times and for different reasons.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks very much for all the replies
. Sorry for responding so late, but somehow things got a little hectic around here! Both my boys are neutered. I have actually had Caluga at the vet for the whole day... he did blood tests as well as ear swabs, as he has been shaking his head viciously lately. The vet has given me meds for both boys and has put both on a prescription diet for the next 3 months to determine whether it is a food allergy. I have a feeling this might work, as I'm sure his ears were driving him batty which in turn could have made him more vocal as a result. Fingers crossed!