Annoying Neighborhood Cat

blackcatappreciation2015

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I moved into a new apartment a month ago with my two cats- a 4yo Siamese mix and a 1yo who is either no breed or possibly part Bombay. They both love to go outside, and I take them out on their harness often.
There are two cats that hang around the apartment complex. I have no idea if they are strays or not, but both are very friendly. I was out with the 4yo when one of the cats approached me. My cat immediately dropped into a defensive position, growled, hissed, and puffed out her tail. The other cat crouched low and backed away. She doesn't stay away, though.
Every single night lately she's been coming to my patio. My two go into hysterics when they see her. One growls and hisses, the other headbutts the door and purrs. The cat stays out there all night, from around 9pm, and she's still there when I leave for work in the morning. To top it off, her belly is extremely swollen. If I was sure she was a stray, I'd take her to a shelter. Since I don't know, is there anything I can do to get some peace at night without the guard cats losing their minds?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont know that letting a very far along pregnant cat roam around the suburbs is too consistent with a responsible cat owner. If she gives birth outside, far from a guaranty you'll be able to grab the kittens before they get eaten or lost.

Ask the neighbors. Check and make sure there is a no kill shelter with space. If you pass those two tests, and she is friendly enough to catch easily, I'd personally just do it. If she isn't friendly enough to catch, you might be able to borrow a trap from the shelter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blackcatappreciation2015

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She'd waltz into the apartment if I'd just open the door. She is extremely friendly, so I think she's been socialized at some point even if she might not have a home now. As soon as she sees people in the parking lot she runs up to them wanting attention.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She'd waltz into the apartment if I'd just open the door. She is extremely friendly, so I think she's been socialized at some point even if she might not have a home now. As soon as she sees people in the parking lot she runs up to them wanting attention.
If she's that friendly you may not even need a trap. If it was me I'd check with shelters in the area and if there's any with room see if you can entice her into a carrier with food and take her in.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cool. So if there is a spot in a no kill, and you ask the close neighbors, the worst case is that someone has to look for a lost cat and is annoyed at you. So what? You can just explain that you assumed she was homeless because: (1) no collar; (2) very pregnant, (3) you checked with your neighbors; and (4) didn't want to take the risk of the kittens being born outside. Its a low risk good deed imho. That it helps your cats is just a side benefit. Lure her in a carrier outside, don't risk contact with your cats.

blackcatappreciation2015

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll check the area and see what kind of shelters are around. Until then, I guess I'll ask if anyone knows where she lives or if she is a stray.

I'm glad she wasn't aggressive with my cat. As soon as Elsa hissed she backed off. I guess we won't be going on walks for a while until I figure this out.

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
With her coming up to people and her being very pregnant it sounds like she is trying to find a human for help before having her babies I hope there is a rescue or shelter with an available foster parent Thank you for trying to help her! please let us know the outcome

blackcatappreciation2015

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I haven't seen her yet today (hanging on to hope that she has a home and they kept her in since it was raining), but I did see a third strange cat wandering around.

I really wish people wouldn't let their cats wander. There's a lot of traffic on my road, so it isn't safe for cats.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Years ago I had a very sweet stray give birth. I am guessing that the owner abandoned her and moved. Have you tried following her? Will the office let you post pics?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't seen her yet today (hanging on to hope that she has a home and they kept her in since it was raining), but I did see a third strange cat wandering around.

I really wish people wouldn't let their cats wander. There's a lot of traffic on my road, so it isn't safe for cats.
She may be off having her kittens. I don't blame you for being upset. Letting house cats roam in highly populated and busy areas (especially unspayed) with people, other animals, cars, is just stupid.
My thoughts are if she's that friendly and that comfortable walking into a house, she's probably someones pet that has no idea what being a good owner (and neighbor) is about, so yes,if you can contact some shelters and rescues and explain the situation that would be best.
You might also contact some veterinarians in your area. A few of them have small rescues on the side, and a veterinarians office would likely have more help with tending to a mother cat and her kittens, particularly if something happens and the kittens need supplemental bottle feeding. Sometimes shelters can't guarantee they have the staff for that.

blackcatappreciation2015

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Saw my landlords today and asked. All three cats that hang around are strays. They think the complex is a "dumping grounds" for unwanted cats. They said they can get live traps and try to catch them, but I'm going to set my carrier out on the patio since the pregnant one hangs out here so much. Maybe she'll think it's a nice place to sleep and I can trap her in it.

blackcatappreciation2015

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are two shelters in my county. One only takes animals picked up by animal control and checked by a vet first- the vet sends them to the shelter. Neither say whether they are no-kill or not, and one only has an FB page, so I'm not getting a lot of information.