Annoying eye discharge.

danipoz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat a little bit over 1.5 years old and literally all his life he had eye discharge that is brownish in color. He has herpes virus and has occasional flare ups but gets treated with oral antibiotics or some injections, but even during/after treatment his eye discharge never goes away, literally never. His eyelids are not red ( conjuctivitis) neither does he cough or sneeze indicating a infection. I just dont know... i tried washing his eyes with saline water ( from pharmacy for eye cleaning) but it didnt help. A few weeks ago tried buying some pills which are advertised as immune boosters for cats/dogs ( with beta glucan ) but it seems that doesnt help either. The vet never gave me eye drops only the oral antibiotics. Should i specifically ask for eye drops? Will they even help? He is not a special breed of cats that are prone to discharge. It just doesnt look great because he is allowed outside and dirt sometimes sticks to the discharge making it difficult to clean especially because he is a white cat and he already has some staining because i cant clean his eyes 10 times a day. What is wrong with him

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It could be a blocked tear duct, your vet would have to clean it out if so. My Moms cat has blocked tear ducts and basically anytime he gets sedated by the vet for anything they do a quick cleaning of them. They always come back eventually though. His eyes don't water constantly but it happens on and off.

It could also be related to allergies or the herpes.

Your best bet is to mention it to your vet at the next appointment and see about options based on your vets observations.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes the blocked tear duct can't be cleared out without surgery. Indy ( the cat in my picture) has this exact problem from herpes. The vet said she has scar tissue in her duct that can only be corrected by inserting a stent through her tear duct and out her nose. I opted not to have the surgery since her eye isn't bothering her or affecting her quality of life.