Annoying Conjunctivitis

cindy321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have seen conjunctivitis in kittens before, normally it disappear in a few days.

But this time, our 4 two months kittens all got it, typical teary eyes with inflammation of the pink membrane.
I could not find very good vet nearby, after visited two different vets, I was given normal antibiotics eye drop and eye ointment. But this time, all kittens will recover but a few days later, it will come back.

To make things worse, our 3 adult cats also start to show symptoms, which never happened before, although they recovered one by one, but I am worried, is this something else?

All kittens are playful and eating well, but just with teary eyes. I hope I could find a good vet I can trust. would appreciate if someone can give me some suggestion, many thanks

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Could it be a herpes flare? Did the vet test the fluid? I give 250 mg lysine to my cat when I see runny eyes. Someone else here uses 250 mg lysine twice a day and something else that I'm drawing a blank on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cindy321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After doing some research, I also suspect herpes. But they do not sneeze, also no nasal discharge, all they have is pinky eyes.
None of the vets did any test, they just told me it is common, gave me some eye drops, although I do not trust them very much.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like feline herpes. My cats have this and they don't sneeze or have nasal discharge, it's just the eyes. It never goes away in my cats, I have to give them Lysine every day or the runny eyes come back.

cindy321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
is there any vaccination for feline herpes? the vet told me they have vaccination for cat flu, but not herpes

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think I was wrong and there is a vaccine.

It's in I think like 90% of cats. Cats can get from the mom before even opening their eyes. Think of it like humans and the herpes lip sores.

I buy the huge tub 1 lb of Now lysine with nothing added. When my cats eyes start getting runny i add it to the food.

Here's a post about it.
Feline Herpes theres details about using lysine and lactoferrin to treat their immune system.

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The FVRCP Distemper vaccine includes the herpes vaccine, but if they already have herpes it won't help. The FVR stands for Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis, which is herpes.

cindy321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis? I was told this is another kind of virus causing cat flu, yes, the vet said they have vaccination for this one.

However, feline herpes, which is the main reason causing cat flu, seem no vaccination. Please correct me if it is wrong...

valentine319, if 90% cats carry herpes, that is almost everyone. I bought some L-lysine powder form human supplement shop, will try it later, many thanks

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From Wikipedia: Feline viral rhinotracheitis (FVR) is an upper respiratory infection of cats caused by feline herpesvirus 1, of the family Herpesviridae.