Annoyed parent rant

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so annoyed. This is my daughter's interm report card. How is she doing in math? What is her reading level? They have changed parent teacher night to a student lead conference. Which means my daughter shows me her work. We are not allowed to discuss their grades. I phoned the principal he said "he has nothing to do with this. It is the teacher's union".
So now teacher's don't have to deal with parents?

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be irritated also! How are you to tell if they are having problems in certain areas or subjects or if they need additional help or extra work in said subjects? Such as my son gets perfect grades in math and science but struggles really hard in reading and spelling, which lead us to investigate a reading disability, i.e. dyslexia. There is a huge discrepancy in his grades that shouldn't be there. If we weren't allowed to see grades in certain subjects or know more than how he participates in class, we wouldn't know there was a problem. I would be raising hell.

Our son's school uses the same grading system, but in each subject along with what your daughter has. Plus, we sit down with the teacher to discuss everything and we are given his work so we can visibly see where he needs help or needs to work harder.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can't just email her teachers anyway??? This is crazy, how old is she? This looks like a report card that's okay to give in first grade.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So it doesn't matter how well they learn in school, it's all about conforming to the school's processes?

That is very, very weird. I think my mom (a teacher) just rolled over in her grave.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That looks like the backside of my early elementary report cards... I second where are the academic marks? Schools wonder why so many are home schooling , the older I get the more I understand why folks pull them out ...

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In my school system, we went to one school K-4, a different school 5-8, then high school. Grade school (Elementary School), Middle School, High School. We received no grades in Grade School. How we did in different subjects got discussed on parent-teacher nights.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

You can't just email her teachers anyway??? This is crazy, how old is she? This looks like a report card that's okay to give in first grade.
Raina is 7 . When my son was in grade 2 we had a simular report , it included whether he met grade standards or didn't.
at least I had some idea of where he was at.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you kidding me? So the teachers are more concerned if she "remember to put shoes on" but they don't care enough about the students grades or progress to share that information openly with their families?! What if she was struggling in a subject and needed tutoring or help- you wouldn't even know based on the teachers report if your child needs help in school. I would be furious! I would definitely talk to the teacher privately and see if she will divulge you more information about her grades...if she won't, I would seriously consider filing a complaint with the school board. That is just unacceptable...

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When the girls were in 2nd grade- all they got were "S" or "U". But they'd also get an S or U in math, reading etc. And there was something called STAR testing. STAR testing was done every quarter, and it showed what grade level your child was reading at. My kids quit having it done in the middle of second grade b/c they were reading at a middle school level at that point.

But you don't have a conference with the teacher? Now that's strange. In elementary school there was 1 mandatory one after the first grading period. Any other ones you could make an appt.

One more thing. Are your dtr's grades online? The whole school system here puts grades on the computer. When it first started it was just middle and high school kids- but I know people whose kids are in elementary school and they use the computerized grades too. Think that started last year. We still do get report cards every grading period, but it is nice to log into Edline and be able to see what grades look like right now.

Cheryl

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sneakymom

When the girls were in 2nd grade- all they got were "S" or "U". But they'd also get an S or U in math, reading etc. And there was something called STAR testing. STAR testing was done every quarter, and it showed what grade level your child was reading at. My kids quit having it done in the middle of second grade b/c they were reading at a middle school level at that point.

But you don't have a conference with the teacher? Now that's strange. In elementary school there was 1 mandatory one after the first grading period. Any other ones you could make an appt.

One more thing. Are your dtr's grades online? The whole school system here puts grades on the computer. When it first started it was just middle and high school kids- but I know people whose kids are in elementary school and they use the computerized grades too. Think that started last year. We still do get report cards every grading period, but it is nice to log into Edline and be able to see what grades look like right now.

Cheryl
Nothing is posted online. Teachers are apparently against standardized testing. I am going to talk to her teacher and see if she will tell me what is going on. I also have an in with the special ed co-ordinator. I had a meeting with her at the beginning of the year. I adopted my daughter when she was 2. She was born 8 weeks premature and was only 2 1/2 pounds. she is at risk for learning disabilities. I need to know where she's at. How am I suppose to help her, or get help for her if I don't know?

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My grade school report cards (from the 1960's) had more information than what your daughter's has. The report really shows nothing of importance. The comment "slow starter" doesn't tell you much either. No action plans?

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow!!!

I remember getting grades from first grade on up! In kindergarten, I believe we only got S and U scores, but 1st-12th we had grades A-F and comment areas filled out by teachers with strengths and weaknesses, plus a place for parents to write return comments prior to parent-teacher night.

That's ridiculous....

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Um...if you are the PARENT I believe you should have the RIGHT to know how your kid is doing in school!! Oy.
Believe me I will find out. tomorrow is a NI day. no school, but I will be there on Monday.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm. OK. Now I am seeing this at the other end, helping HS seniors with the college application essays. Teachers giving these kids glowing praise and all As... but what I am getting in my in box is just dreadful.
Lovely kids - terrible writing! Ugh!

tico

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please no one jump on me, but everyone is sounding a little harsh towards the teacher/school here!

I'm a primary teacher. Would you let me explain from an educator's perspective? (I speak from my own experience, and from how my school system is run - yours might be a little different)

You sound like you're picturing an interim to be a fourth report card. It isn't. I'm not sure if every realizes how much effort goes into a report card. Literally weeks and weeks of classifying work, narrowing down outcomes, assessing, writing, analyzing work samples, rewriting anecdotal reports (times 25, of course). I start focusing on them a month before they go out at least. At this point in the year, it is much too soon for me to be able to accomplish this. It feels like summer just ended!

An interim, instead, is a snapshot, typically at the beginning of the year, of how your child is adjusting to their class, specifically routines, organization and management skills. A little heads-up as to how things are running, not to evaluate their work. I haven't even finished a single curriculum unit with them yet!

I just completed my own interims which are quite similar to yours, and at 6 weeks into the school year, it is SO hard to pull together anything more than the general picture. I am just trying to get to know my students still - their writing levels, their math skills, their ability to synthesize. It takes the entire first term to really have a good grasp of where each student is at and how they have been improving.

Your daughter is in Grade 2. So much learning at this stage is sequentially built through repetition over lengthy periods of time that there is little to report on at this point. Capitals, periods, sight words, number values and representation... It takes time and patience to develop the building blocks that will equip them for learning throughout their life. It's too soon to assess these little ones! They are just starting in the big world of academics!

If you have any concerns in a subject, or are curious about what they are learning in a subject, you should always feel free to drop by their class or give their teacher a call. But please don't get upset because you think we ought to write a fourth report card over three terms.

Teachers work so hard, and often it seems like no one seems to notice it. We are not hiding behind our unions to do as little as possible. We DO love your kids and put in lots of hours to make sure your children are happy and enjoying learning.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Hmmm. OK. Now I am seeing this at the other end, helping HS seniors with the college application essays. Teachers giving these kids glowing praise and all As... but what I am getting in my in box is just dreadful.
Lovely kids - terrible writing! Ugh!
That's my DD in another year. And oh yeah- her writing skills could use some help. Hopefully she'll be ok with dh and I proofreading whatever she writes, and then she'll fix the problem. I guess it'll come down to- she'll do it- or it'll be community college for a year (which IMHO isn't exactly a bad thing either
) But dd wants to be on her own at school, and that's the reason she doesn't want a CC.

Cheryl

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tico

Please no one jump on me, but everyone is sounding a little harsh towards the teacher/school here!

I'm a primary teacher. Would you let me explain from an educator's perspective? (I speak from my own experience, and from how my school system is run - yours might be a little different)

You sound like you're picturing an interim to be a fourth report card. It isn't. I'm not sure if every realizes how much effort goes into a report card. Literally weeks and weeks of classifying work, narrowing down outcomes, assessing, writing, analyzing work samples, rewriting anecdotal reports (times 25, of course). I start focusing on them a month before they go out at least. At this point in the year, it is much too soon for me to be able to accomplish this. It feels like summer just ended!

An interim, instead, is a snapshot, typically at the beginning of the year, of how your child is adjusting to their class, specifically routines, organization and management skills. A little heads-up as to how things are running, not to evaluate their work. I haven't even finished a single curriculum unit with them yet!

I just completed my own interims which are quite similar to yours, and at 6 weeks into the school year, it is SO hard to pull together anything more than the general picture. I am just trying to get to know my students still - their writing levels, their math skills, their ability to synthesize. It takes the entire first term to really have a good grasp of where each student is at and how they have been improving.

Your daughter is in Grade 2. So much learning at this stage is sequentially built through repetition over lengthy periods of time that there is little to report on at this point. Capitals, periods, sight words, number values and representation... It takes time and patience to develop the building blocks that will equip them for learning throughout their life. It's too soon to assess these little ones! They are just starting in the big world of academics!

If you have any concerns in a subject, or are curious about what they are learning in a subject, you should always feel free to drop by their class or give their teacher a call. But please don't get upset because you think we ought to write a fourth report card over three terms.

Teachers work so hard, and often it seems like no one seems to notice it. We are not hiding behind our unions to do as little as possible. We DO love your kids and put in lots of hours to make sure your children are happy and enjoying learning.
I understand what you are saying, but last year this time I was given a simple report with her reading level and math level. What is the point of having student led conferences, they show you their work. There are no parent/ teacher interviews this year. I feel strongly that teachers and parents should work together for the betterment of the children. The teachers no longer want to deal with parents. Yes I can see some parents are difficult, but most are their to support their child.