Ankle biting - advice needed for 3yo rescue

dthlo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a new 3yo rescue, and she's lovely. She does get overstimulated easily, so happy to give her the space she needs. Sometimes in the morning or evening, however, she'll walk up and bite my gf's ankles while rarely every biting mine. It's usually while gf is working on her laptop. The cat's eyes pupils are dilated and might give a off a strange meow, but otherwise, doesn't give many warning signs. We give her plenty of play time with interactive toys.

The biting has never broken skin, so she does have self control. But for us, we're not sure what to do. If she bites me I generally give no response (1) and she stops, whereas my gf tends to shriek (2). Also, we are not sure if we should use a jar of coins (3), air duster (4), or water spray instead (5).

One of our problems is that we cannot decide what to do (1-5). I think picking one and having us both be consistent will go a long way, right? In addition, my gf tends to pet the cat much more than I do, which tends to test the cat's boundaries.

Need advice, as we want to stop this behavior before it escalates.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yoru GF may be overstimulating her by the excessive petting unintentionally. The dilated eyes and meow definitely indicate overstimulation. Saying NO loudly and maybe shaking the jar of coins at the same time may deter her. Getting a Kickeroo on Amazon, a long, catnip filled kick toy that cats can't resist, and throwing it near her when you think she is going to attack would help to by drawing her attention away. Physical deterrents like the air or the squirt bottle, often scare them into attacking worse or make her fear you. it does not work as it does for dogs who are pack animals and follow a leader or alpha's direction. As a last resort, taking her by the loose skin on the back of the neck and holding her still for a few seconds while saying NO often works, it is what a mama cat does to her young for discipline. But never pick up a cat this way, it could hurt them. Just hold her still. All the luck!

IsaAndNena

Nena’s personal maid
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with what di and bob di and bob said about overstimulation. My cat used to bite my ankles a LOOOOOT to the point of serious scratches and sometimes bleeding but I got her to stop by saying no and putting her away in a separate room like a time out. Now she very rarely bites ankles unless it’s a guest in which case I repeat the process one time and she understands she can’t bite guest ankles. I hope that helps!